“Love Palmetto Island State Park”

Palmetto Island State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Abbeville
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Maybe this place gets busy on the weekends or during the summer, but when we visited in October it wasn't at all. Stayed there twice on a road trip from California to New Orleans. We stopped in to camp overnight the first time because we couldn't find a spot to park our RV in Abbeville and it was getting dark. Came up from the coast and ran into some trouble with a closed bridge blocking our way up the road, but a helpful resident sent from God (who introduced himself as Gator and reminded me so much of my father) saved the day when he helped us with directions around the road closure. Loved our stay that night so much we made a point of stopping back in on the way home so we could spend more time.

This park was immaculate. It's bathrooms and showers were well maintained and we were able to take advantage of the complimentary washers and dryers. Rent a canoe if you go there. We did and it was an adventure for this California girl. I'll never forget how beautiful and peaceful it was (except to argue about how to row). Hope to be able to stop by there again one day. Also, special thanks to Tal at the campground office. He was so helpful and we just loved him!

6  Thank DebbieDoo
in 8 reviews
"fishing"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I had camped here before without any problems. However our most recent stay was ruined by the campers next to us that had no respect for other campers. First let me say the campground was packed with lots of families enjoying the nice weather. Traffic was very heavy with a lot of people driving around in cars and golf carts. I saw a very young park policeman drive by a few times always with his windows up and not looking around. The trouble started when we were awakend at 12:30AM by the people in the next campsight blasting their music so loud it sounded like it was inside our camper. The sheriff dept. finally showed up to quiet them down. I just cant beleive someone would be so rude as to crank the music up so loud at this time of night. I dont beleive we will ever go back.

3  Thank kharley
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was there for a day hike in November. Arrived in late afternoon. I wish I'd rented a canoe, but not enough time. Well maintained. Lovely setting. Friendly staff.

1  Thank Danwershow
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Visited friends were were camping. Had two sites next to each other with Plenty of space between sites. Lots of room for the kids to wander around. Parking wasn't an issue like I expected. Will return.

There are very Nice cabins if you are looking for one. We toured a cabin and were very impressed.

1  Thank Jessica K