“Dupuy's in beautiful Abbeville, heart of Cajun experience”

Dupuy's Oyster Shop
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Abbeville
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Abbeville, Louisiana
“Dupuy's in beautiful Abbeville, heart of Cajun experience”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Dupuys has been in Abbeville, in the heart of Cajun country since 1869. The original owners were from Abbeville. It is an oyster house with fresh oysters shucked right in the restaurant for you to see. In addition to wonderful oysters there is a variety of grilled, fried and delicious seafood. Many with wonderful Cajun sauces to add to the distinct Cajun cuisine. Deputy's is about 20minutes south of Lafayette, Louisiana. An enjoyable drive to one of the best seafood locations in the south, in a beautiful quaint town with a town square and the parish courthouse. Also a beautiful Catedral, St. Mary Magdalen. Also home to the Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast. Come and enjoy some of the best Cajun cuisine available at Dupuy's in Abbeville.

• Visited May 2014

New Delhi, India
“Great meal”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Getting there for lunch on a Friday afternoon, we found the bar area full. The restaurant was open only for dinner but we enjoyed the food and service in the bar area. People are friendly. Service was good. The po-boys are great and they also had local beers on tap.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank kashgo
Abbeville, Louisiana
“Awesome seafood platter!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Looking for one of the best meals ever? Get the fried seafood platter with a stuffed potato! This is a must visit spot!

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Mel_vrml
Vevey, Switzerland
“Good gumbo, disappointing boudin balls”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Maybe my expectations were too high. The gumbo was very good, the boudin balls were so-so. Service was perfect.

Visited March 2014
Lafayette, LA
“Simple, but one of the best anywhere!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We went to Dupuy’s last night for the first time in a long time. My question would be why we waited so long to return? There are hundreds of good restaurants within 50 miles of our home. Sometimes we just forget about some of the old standards. Dupuy’s, which opened in 1869 is more than a standard, it is one of the places that sets the standard by which all other “Cajun” restaurants should be judged.

We had a party of 24 people so we did have to wait a considerable amount of time to get a table. No problem, just go over to the new beautiful bar and make yourself comfortable. There was a little nook in the back where some of us “older folk” could sit on a sofa and chairs while the younger people enjoyed themselves. The drinks were good, the bartenders more than friendly, and the atmosphere in the bar is outstanding. I will say that our 40 minute wait was really more like 75 minutes, but how many times on a Saturday night do you walk into a popular restaurant with 24 people and not get laughed at by the hostess. They were so friendly, and good company made the 75 minutes pass quickly.

After our wait they actually got us all seated together (miracle on a Saturday evening) and yes, our table got a bit loud at times. I think they were thinking of charging the rest of the patrons a cover charge as some of the young people in our party entertained the entire restaurant. At one point we were even joined at our table by a couple from Morse whom we had just met in the bar. Basically speaking we had a blast.

The food, how was the food? Hmmmmm….. on a scale of 1-10 this place was a 12! Was it expensive? By the standards of our area is was very average. My bill went over $125 for three people, but remember we were in the bar for 75 minutes, and we were with a birthday party and I bought some drinks for the two birthday guests. I’m pretty sure my bar tab was over $70.

A portion of our party was from New Orleans and they had driven 5 hours on icy highways in the winter storm of January 2014 to get here for dinner. The gentleman in that portion of our party said “It was worth the drive to Lafayette and Abbeville just to eat at Dupuy’s” and then announced he would be back soon! Several other people had never been to Dupuy’s and I was questioned as to why I had never brought them here before? Needless to say everyone was happy!

The food in my three immediate family members was a fried catfish platter ($14.50), Fried Stuffed Shrimp Platter ($14.50) and the Crab Combo which ran about $21.00 (market price). All of our dinners were OUTSTANDING. I will say my lump crab had a little shell in it but that is really picky. The weakest part of the dinner was the crab au gratin and it was still very good. I will say that these same meals in Lafayette would have cost $2-3 more at most of our restaurants.

The thing I will always love the most about Dupuy’s is the atmosphere. You smell it when you park your car. There is something comforting about this place from the second you enter the doors. They have done some serious renovations here in the past couple years, but it still has the charm that you expect from a visit to an old place like this. You feel like you are eating at home, or even better, like you are eating at Grandma’s house.

• Visited January 2014