“Living history”

Kent Plantation House
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Alexandria
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The docents are extremely knowledgeable, pleasant and eager to share information about the plantation. The plantation has been recreated but the furnishings are authentic. Wonderful pieces of history.

2  Thank dg2518

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have been to several plantations across the south. It's always interesting to see how people adapt to their different environments and how it affects their homes, farms and work. Not an extremely elegant or fancy house but full of information and things I've never seen before at other homes. Very laid back, not busy at all, inexpensive and the volunteer girls leading the tours our day did a good job.

2  Thank slas86
Reviewed 13 April 2014

George (a "Damn Yankee") was our tour quide and extended every Southern courtesy! My wife and I were shown a peek into the History of Kent Plantation that was second to none. Together with the out buildings and the Sugar Cane 'cooker' it's a very complete exhibit. George even gave me a special taste of one of the best "by products" of cane syrup! Yum!! -Henry & Sheri from Minnesota.

2  Thank Great_Dane23
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had a great time. We also had Patsy as our inside tour guide and I am responding to Danny T's review with this next statement. A couple from Minnesota arrived at the same time we did so 5 total in our group, myself and my 2 boys and the retired couple from Minnesota. There were 3 adults in our group, myself and the retired couple. She did get on to all 3 males in the group not to touch things. And she wasn't ugly about it she explained that some of the items were actually disintegrating from age (for example a book she once would open to show visitors that is crumbling now so she apologized and said she could no longer open it). She was sweet with my 8 year old who kept asking her questions that she had already covered during her presentation! She is a volunteer and I don't know her at all I guess I'm just saying we all have off days so please cut the poor lady some slack. I wasn't on your tour and can only speak to my experience but she was really quite gracious and thorough with her tour of the home and its interior. As George was with the outside workings. I wish he had spent more time in the garden and I hate the chickens will be leaving. Those were two of my favorite parts of the tour. My youngest son loved the cane to syrup and brown sugar process. My eldest enjoyed the tools in the outdoor sheds. It was enjoyable, educational and I have highly recommended it to several others in our homeschool community since my visit last week.

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived as soon as the place opened. It is during their off season so we got a personal tour. The gift shop was lovely and reasonably priced. The woman that guided the inside was very passionate and knowledgable, she showed us fingerprints of slaves that were left when making the bricks for the house. She was willing to answer any question. She even explained how some if the things that they did during that period are the basis for some of our idioms today. The guide tolerated my screaming child with ease. She even offered to hold him and let him experience some of the artifacts up close and personal. The outside was neat too. Overall a very complete tour.

1  Thank TACahoon