“Do NOT stay at this hotel”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Alexandria
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Econo Lodge Inn and Suites 2716 N McArthur Drive Alexandria, LA 71303
I stayed at this hotel on Saturday 11/16/2013. The first room we got , beds were not made dirty towels on the floor - second room we got the door looked like it had been kicked in, the smoke detector torn out of the wall, the blanket had burn holes, the sheets had hair and a dead bug.
The stairs are tile and slick, leaving the stairs were wet because the air was not on we slipped and our luggage fell down the stairs. The breakfast area was terrible, no garbage can all used plates with old food stacked on counters and table and thrown on the floor, there was no one around to monitor. I was not given a refund, offered a voucher I will never use. Do Not Stay Here It is not safe it is not clean. Mold in the hall ways. Beware !!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jessica t

Reviewed 11 November 2013

When you walk in the lobby, you can tell this is a greasy hotel. The lobby couch is stained and slimmy. Theres a spare tire under the stairs for some reason. It looks like they decorated from the local dump. Walking towards our room there was holes in the doors, staines everywhere and smelled like urine and smoke. The "security" room was unlocked and wide open with controls of the hotel wide open...also looking like a junkyard room. In the room there were cockroaches, the towels looked like someone wiped cheeto hands on them and were just plain gross. Stayed 2 nights since we booked from a third party and couldnt get our money back...the front desk clerk said "you stayed more than one night?...you're brave" Id rather stay in my car. Dont stay here!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank remann27
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The clerk who did my reservation over the phn "Johnny" was great, very friendly & helpful but i cant blame him for what turned out to be a terrible stay! I was laying across that hard bed watchin tv when i saw a roach crawl by the tv.. i jumped up to kill it but it escaped smh.. while i was sleeping my man came in, turned on the lamp, he said multiple roaches began to scatter every which way, he said he didnt wanna worry me since im 7months pregnant cuz he knows i woulda flipped out.. the whole time i was there we couldnt get WiFi either.. i didnt dare go to breakfast there not with all the critters i saw who seem to be permanent residents of the hotel! I did get a great price for my jacuzzi suite but had i known the room was pre-occupied wit all them dang roaches i wouldnt have stayed trust me.. im just hoping none of them lil critters followed us home.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I came down for the weekend to visit family. We got in late and decided to call expedia before we made it to town to book the room before we made it in. I booked a 2 night stay because the representative expressed how nice the hotel was and clean and comfortable. That was a LIE. When we got to the room, we discovered dead cockroaches in different places of the room and bathroom. Soap scum in the tub, and just overall out dated!!! The only reason I could not cancel my reservation was because I booked way after the 3 pm cancellation policy time. The room we reserved was not available when we got there and they had to upgrade (which wasn't an upgrade if you ask me) us to a Jacuzzi room at no extra charge. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I know and I would NEVER stay there again. Spend your money at a more decent hotel. You definitely get what you pay for!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bdavis2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have stayed at hotels all over the world and this ranks up there with the worst of the worst of them. We checked in and then set out on our search through the labyrinth of parking lots until we finally found our room. (Apparently this hotel doesn't know how to create a map, and they had the rooms listed on the wrong side of the hotel than they are actually located. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.) I was immediately alarmed at the curtains falling off the windows of almost all the rooms, including ours, and the fact that the cover of the air conditioning was missing, exposing a mold infested ac unit. The smoke alarm also did not have a cover, revealing the fact that it contained NO batteries! The bottom of the walls was lined with a 6" carpet which was falling off the walls. In one such place, the falling carpet revealed a hole in the wall leading to God knows what. The bathroom was utterly filthy. Soap scum covered the shower; it's honestly like it hasn't been cleaned in a month. Believe it or not, I was STILL going to stay in this dump because my family and I were exhausted after weeks of camping and 13 hours in the car. However I picked up the phone to dial the local Papa John's only to discover a live baby roach in the receiver. I was horrified. I pulled back the sheets on the bed and there was another baby roach crawling in the bed. Needless to say, we repacked our car, got our money back and drove across the street to the Magnuson Hotel where they gave us $20 off and a lovely night's sleep. The front desk person at the Magnuson told us that a tee ball team just switched from the Econo Lodge as well due to roaches and a black widow spider in one of their rooms. Avoid this place at all cost. Really.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank susinola
Reviewed 27 July 2013

If you are in the Alexandria area, please do not choose this hotel. It looks good on the outside, but once you walk in the rooms you will be disappointed. The sign outside states, "newly renovated rooms, but clearly that is a LIE!!! The room had articles left behind from the previous occupants, such as a kids toy behind the bed, toilet paper stuck on the back of the door in the restroom, Q-Tips left on the bath tub, etc. It was awful. WE had to Lysol the entire room before me or either of my friends would sleep in the beds. I felt so bad b/c I had bragged so much about how good choice privileges hotels were and my friends ragged on me the entire time. The power went out in our room when we turned on the microwave, and let's not talk about the air conditioning unit that was shooting out sparks!!! This was the WORST HOTEL EVER!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SoljaGyrl
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Most of the time, I read the reviews for hotels, but on this particular occasion, I did not. We usually stay at the La Quinta in Alexandria and LOVE it, but we quickly had to find a replacement hotel when we discovered LQ was booked the night we needed to stay. I called a family member to find out our options and he found this hotel and said it looked nice online. Our requirements: we needed a pet-friendly hotel that would allow our boxer at a minimum cost, wasn't far from I-49, was reasonably priced, and was a good value. We got 2/4.

The sign at the entrance said pets were a $15 charge, but the receptionist (who was nice) charged us $10. (For the record, LQ is free.) Still, not bad.

The hotel was about 5 minutes from I-49, and was reasonably easy to access. Leaving to get back to I-49, however, was a little trickier and required us to go out of our way and cross McArthur - which can get a little busy - to get back to the highway. Again, not too bad.

Price: We paid $140 for our room. I could overlook the unattractive lobby...I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time there. But the bedroom/bathroom needed some work. It just looked...sad. In need of a facelift. Everything looked old and beat up. The outside lights poured into the bedroom and there was no way to block it because the curtains were sheer. They had dark curtains, too, but they were primarily for "decoration" and could not close or cover the windows. The bathroom was missing some grout near the floor. The countertop was cut to make room for the toilet and there was raw edges and glue visible. It did NOT look worth the price I paid...it looked like a Motel 6 or Super 8...especially considering the LQ is less expensive and more beautiful. (Can you tell I really love that LQ? I do. It has a great value-to-cost ratio!) I would not say the price was reflective of the value AT ALL, and I was very disappointed.

On the positive side, I didn't see any bugs (thank God!). And they do offer a decent free breakfast, but the eating area is small and cramped. I could barely pull my chair back without bumping into another table.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, especially at the price they are charging. Expect to be disappointed.

(Side rant: We were charged for a room safe that we didn't even use...they didn't mention the charge before I purchased the room...I only discovered the charge when I checked out and asked for the receipt - which they don't automatically give you...you have to ask.)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family