“Beautifully restored inn but with a few details lacking”
Review of The Munroe Inn

The Munroe Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Auburn B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautifully restored inn but with a few details lacking”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We recently enjoyed a charming stay overnight at the Munroe Inn. The property is beautifully restored and decorated, with period-appropriate Victorian pieces -- a bit fussy, but in context, what belongs in an inn of this vintage. It is conveniently located within a few blocks of downtown and the river.

We stayed in the Florence room, which is ample in size with a very comfortable king bed. The bed linens were crisp and clean.

The en suite bathroom, however, is not of comparable comfort or ambience -- a very small room (obviously at one time a closet, as the room has none), with a claw foot tub occupying about 80% of the space, encased with shower curtains all around, and modified with a shower attachment with a fixed shower head set at about 5'6" from the ground. Virtually no space on the pedestal sink or elsewhere for laying out toiletries, etc. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, however.

Also, there was some sort of heavy floral scent that had been sprayed or otherwise disseminated throughout the interior of the inn, which I found unpleasant (I could even smell it on the down pillows, as the down had evidently absorbed the perfumery). There was, nonetheless, a musty odor in the bathroom not masked by the floral air freshener.

Melanie and David had unexpectedly been required to leave town, and their daughter was subbing for them. I am sure she tried her best but the breakfast was just ok. From reviews on these pages, I understand that breakfast is ordinarily a highlight of the stay. (The 4* rating that I've given, thus omits any downgrading based on our breakfast as I think it would be unfair to include what was evidently an aberrational experience.)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBA60302

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The owners of the Munroe Inn have done a wonderful job of renovating an old Queen Anne house -- the first floor is beautiful, with tremendous refinished woodwork and nice decoration. The property is a short walk from downtown Auburn, a nice small town where there are a number of restaurant choices. The staff (daughter of the owners) is very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the Florence Suite for one night on our way further north in Maine. The room is large, has large windows, and has a very comfortable king bed. It was spotlessly clean. The only problems were that the bathroom is quite small and the owners use a lot of scent (the whole house smells like a sachet). I would much rather smell the fresh air. Overall, though, a very good experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

After an eternal drive from Canada, I found my stop for the night - The Munroe Inn.
Such was the welcome greeting from the Inn keepers daughter, I felt like a long lost relative returning home, gratefully received after 15 hours on the road!
The Inn is beautifully kept and spotlessly clean, no detail has been left to chance. Parking on site is very useful too.
The location is easy to find.
Breakfast - delicious is varied and cooked to your liking.
I would highly recommend this Inn and would return again, should I find myself back in Maine (which is a beautiful State).
Happy travels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Wellfleet, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My wife & I stayed one night in late June 2013. Hosts are very welcoming and very interesting people. The house is a newly renovated Victorian full of antiques and woodwork. Spotlessly clean! Pressed sheets! Large rooms. Great mattresses. Bed was so high, my feet couldn't reach the floor! We had A/C in our room which worked great. Off-street parking. Quiet. Breakfast was "over the top". Reasonably priced. If you like antiques & Victorians, you have to stay at the Munroe!

Room Tip: If you like stained glass, let your hosts know. The room we stayed in had a great stained glass win...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KenandJanH
Auburndale, Florida
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The beds at the Munroe Inn are exceptional with crisp, clean linens and beautiful coverings. The breakfast prepared personally by the owners, Dave and Melanie, is tailored to meet the needs of their guests and is delicious. The plus is the event preparation and execution done by the owners. They will host weddings, breakfasts, dinners, and parties for a variety of occasions with the same level of excellence they put into the day to day operations of this beautiful property. We just completed our third visit to this lovely B & B and we loved it as much on visit 3 as we did on the first two. No matter the season, we've been there in October, August, and March, there are always exciting day trips to take from this central point in the state and you just can't beat the hospitality offered by the owners or the meticulously maintained historical beauty of this home. The Maria suite with personal verandah and beautiful stained glass window bathroom is our favorite, very large and accommodating for a long or short stay, but all the suites are gorgeous with their own unique personalities.

Room Tip: Maria suite is our favorite, large bedroom / sitting area, personal verandah, and large bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FLSadieMae
York PA
Reviewed 30 November 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at a lovely Victorian Bed and Breakfast. Dave and Melanie were fabulous hosts. The house is as close to going back in time as you can get. Breakfasts were delicious and Melanie actually gave my husband a couple of the receipes. We stayed in the Maria Suite the bed was extremely comfortable with a canopy that gave us a view of a beautiful Summer sky.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Maine
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This was my first stay at a Bed and Breakfast and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What I got was a lovingly restored, historic home owned by a family who welcome visitors to their home. Melanie and Dave are wonderful hosts! The house is beautiful! Dinner and breakfast were delicious and elegant! I went home an took out the good china to use every day!!! The atmosphere was very relaxed, oh and did I mention how comfortable the bed was? I can't remember the last time I slept that well! The next time I need a quick break from the every day, I'll be back to The Munroe Inn!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YoMaineMama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch
Hampton Inn Lewiston-Auburn
Ramada Lewiston Hotel & Conference Center
Residence Inn by Marriott Auburn
Center Street Value Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites

Been to The Munroe Inn? Share your experiences!