“Quiet for dinner...food was great!”
Review of Naral's - CLOSED

Naral's
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Poland, Maine
“Quiet for dinner...food was great!”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Decided to use a gift certificate for dinner to enjoy an Arabian dining experience. The place was cute but empty...we were the only one's there. This was also the day after the Boston Marathon bombing so that was likely a contributing factor. The service was good and the waitress is helpful with a menu that we weren't familiar with.
My GF order the Cream of Fresh Shiitake Mushroom as a starter and the Dajaj Shish Kebab (marinated chicken cubes & vegetables broiled over charcoal on skewers (rice,couscous,bread) as her entree.
I got adventurous and ordered the Arabic Platter (includes Bitingan Ma’li, Falafel, Kofta Kebab, Sfeeah, Pita bread)
We both really enjoyed our meals. The flavors were unique and fresh and we had enough to take home between us for another meal. All and all, I would recommend this place if you are looking for some new and exciting tastes. However, just not sure why the place was so empty. We plan to go again some day soon down the road.

• Visited April 2013

Auburn, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Only customers for lunch on a Friday?”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Worst falafel we've ever had. It wasnt even made right,dry and flavorless. Scratched our plans to go back and try the dinner menu.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank 420revarie
Litchfield, Maine
“Genuine food & fun”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I like Naral's, really really like it. Not knowing what to get, we shared a sampler plate; seriously the best hummusI have ever eaten (and I like & have eaten a lot of hummus here & abroad). The rest of the dishes were wonderful. The proprietors seem to really care about doing a good job. We went on a whim one night &it just happened to be Saturday when they have live belly dancing. My husband found it a bet hokey (and a little embarassing) but I loved it. They have live music; if you like middle Eastern style music you would enjoy it, or are willing to take a shot I think you would enjoy this place.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank Jan M
L/A, Maine
“Unique--menu??”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We were excited when Naral's opened....middle eastern food in our area was unheard of despite the fact that we had a number of ethnic restaurants. And the addition of belly dancers (very tastefully done) was a real treat. I've been there about 4 times since they opened. Their luncheon menu is a good one--well priced and the food is authentic and good. Dinner, however, left me wondering. There is a great variety of food prepared, I'm informed, in Middle-Eastern/Greek fashion. Some items are well priced. Prices then jump incredibly high so that there's no in-between. Some of my friends and I (we are frequent local and out-of-town diners) find the meal combinations odd also--carbs are overdone, i.e., couscous or rice is served with potatoes for every meal choice. Not sure whether I'll go back again....

Visited July 2012
1 Thank crzinn
Lewiston, Maine
“Something Different”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Lewiston-Auburn has lots of choices for restaurants and this is a welcome addition. The location has seen great turn-over over the past two decades. Hopefully Naral's will find it's niche and hang on.

We chose Naral's as I had purchased a Groupon and wanted to treat my husband to something different (naturally). We went on a Monday night early and so we were virtually the sole diners. I kind of liked that :)

First, drinks...can't speak for the rest of my party (who drank beer) but if you want anything non-alcoholic besides soda you'll pay dearly. There were some interesting looking tea drinks but the prices were that of alcoholic drinks. I will admit that I never inquired as to why that was...I just ordered water and so did my tea-drinking teenager when she saw the prices. BTW the actual Menu prices are a bit higher than the website listed prices (viewing it as I write this). Just FYI. NOTE: We ate the 7/10 and I am writing this 7/14...the website lists moussaka at $12 and I paid $17.80. Be aware as I assume the prices did not suddenly go down this last week.

Alright...water ordered, we went ahead and ordered our entrees (more later). My father-in-law decided last minute to order an appetizer...onion rings...seriously? Onion rings in an Arabian etc restaurant? Seemed damned near blasphemy. HOWEVER: there is some spice or herb in the batter that makes them DIFFERENT...seriously. The comment was made by my in-laws that they would return just to drink beer & eat onion rings and I have to agree (except for the beer).

I ordered Moussaka...which was yummy if a bit pricey. My husband ordered the Cheesy Chicken Bake which was priced right and so very yummy. When we return (and we will) that is what I will order mmmmmm! My daughter has the seafood platter which was what you'd expect more or less and was enough for two meals (and she enjoyed both). The in-laws went with lamb...FIL got the Mandhi-roasted lamb...he enjoyed it but it was a bit spicy for him. MIL got the shish kebabs and taunted him with how easy her lamb was to eat :)

In summary, the Groupon softened the blow of my $18 moussaka and the food was all good. We will go back and you should check it out, too. See you there :) Order me some onion rings!

• Visited July 2012