“Something Has Happened Since These Other Reviews Were Written”
Review of Panda Gardens

Panda Gardens
Ranked #38 of 103 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We depend on Trip Advisor when traveling, and went here based on the good reviews. I'm sorry to say this was one of the worst restaurant experiences we've ever had. We arrived at 6:00 pm for dinner and the place was deserted. We ordered and the soup came. It was lukewarm at best. We mentioned it to the waitress and they said they were "closing up" so had turned off their burners. Strange to be closing up for dinner at 6:00pm. Nothing in the meal to follow fit any definition of acceptable food. Some things were terribly overcooked while others were in the danger zone of unsafe low temperatures. One item was cooked in way too much fat, which when added to the low temperature creating an unpalatable coating of the inside of my mouth. Another item appeared to be a very old dry leftover from perhaps the buffet lunch earlier in the day. We had a very nice waitress, and she inquired if there was anything wrong as we called for the check after only a couple of bites. Matching her friendliness we politely explained the issues, reassured her we knew it wasn't her fault, and paid the bill in full, chalking it up to "you win some, you lose some". Someone came out from the kitchen and berated us as we were leaving for criticizing the food. Although it makes an hilarious story, I didn't want to spend any more time thinking about this restaurant. In hindsight, I decided to post this so other people realize something has changed since these glowing reviews.

4  Thank lbsowen

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Friendly personable staff and the food is the best!

Reviewed 30 December 2011

Have been going here for years. Great buffet, and even better food if you order from the menu. They will always honor special requests. This is a locally owned family-run restaurant. I highly recommend it!

2  Thank ScubaNanny
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We decided to try this restaurant based on other tripadvisor reviews and glad we did. We were greeted warmly. The buffet was recommended over ordering off the menu, since the kitchen was very busy and we would have a longer wait for our food. I decided on the buffet, but my husband decided on ordering from the menu. I was almost finished with my meal when his food was served. They kept checking on us and when my husband commented that his food was a little too spicy, the owners came to us and offered him the buffet at no additional charge. He declined at first, but decided to take them up on the desert portion. The owners were very sweet and wanted to make sure our visit was a happy experience. It was that, indeed. The buffet offered a varied assortment of items and everything I tried was terrific.

1  Thank dkpuryear
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Panda Garden offers DELICIOUS food at very reasonable prices. For example, their lunch (daily 11:00-2:00) and dinner (Thursday-Friday-Saturday 5:00-8:00) buffets - lunch is $6.50 and dinner is $8.95 for unlimited buffet. Check the menu board as you enter their foyer for times, prices, special events coming up, etc. Dinner buffet is extensive and includes dessert, and of course Chinese tea (not sure what goes with lunch since I always do dinner). Delivery is available for orders of $20 or more. They also offer a fabulous take-out menu; I do that about 3-4 times per month, as one order of entree and fried rice is enough for 2 meals for 2 people. You can't go wrong with that. The owners and servers are ALWAYS friendly and attentive. Panda sells out for their special New Year's buffet and there are always couples and families there for special occasions. If you've read my reviews you know I don't give high ratings for no reason. Panda Garden is the real deal and I'm happy to give them a rave review.

3  Thank MaineWeekender