“On the decline...”

Sam's Italian Foods
Ranked #33 of 101 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

I think Sam's is a textbook example of what happens when an eatery overexpands. They have several locations in L/A and several others in outlying towns. I've had pizza from here several times and it's usually undercooked. I've sworn off their pasta dinners for lack of flavor and smaller than average portions. The chicken salad is ok, not great. As for their ham italians, their claim to fame...they're a shadow of their former selves. Ultra thin slices of ham and cheese, tomatoes that could be fresher and a garden full of onions. The biggest complaint about any of the sandwiches they prepare is the bread itself. It used to be so fresh all the time. Lately it's stale and dry. C'mon Sam's, it wouldn't break the bank to add an extra piece of ham and cheese for the money you're selling these italians for. I can get better quality italians at Mom & Pop stores at the same price. You can't rest on your 77 year reputation and expect to have repeat business when you cut corners on quality and quantity.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I went there with my wife and kids for something simple after a long day. Sam's are everywhere around here, so we thought it should be pretty good, right? Mistake number one. Don't get me wrong, the trainee was friendly and we didn't mind the little mistakes she made--she's learning. Overall her customer service was excellent. However, our food was disgusting. The subs has so much oil the bread was soggy, we were picking out onions by the cupful, and there had to be at least 12 pickles per sub. Please do not misunderstand: it was NOT the trainee who made our food. It was her trainer, who was also very cordial. What that tells me is the policy is to pack as many cheap vegetable in as possible so customers don't notice the small amount of cheese or cheap cold cuts.

1  Thank Keith J
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Sam's is what it is. Consistent, average, and sometimes tasty. They make a really good meatball grinder, but their pizza is very average and sometimes underdone. They make all the common grinders, serve up decent pasta offerings, but all in all, they offer a good place for a quick stop, but nothing to rave about.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We were staying at a motel in Auburn on Center Street and called Sam's to order pizza to pick up and take back to the hotel

Reviewed 25 April 2011

My wife and stopped in on the 20th about 100 for a lunch.

This Sams was staffed by two men, one older one younger,,, we ordered a BLT with a cup of chili and the Meat Lasagna dinner.

The older gent worked on the food, the BLT was literally thrown together with junks of tomato, lettuce not sliced no mayo,,, just a bad sandwich. The chili was in a cup and had been microwaved, but looked as though it came from a can,,,

My wife ordered the dinner, after two bites she realized she got the broccoli lasagna not the meat like she ordered...

Upon leaving, in disgust, the older gent was on the phone leaving the you gent to fend for himself,,, we mentioned the mistake, and the older gent says " oh that is right you did order the meat,,,"

Also in the dinning area there was a broom with a freshly sweeped pile of dirt, left while we ate.

If I managed this place and it had my name on it SAM, I would fire both of this incompentent workers,,, and hire some good people and a good manager and pay them to repesent my name sake. You would never see this at a Subway,,,

1  Thank bigcreek