Senator Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Augusta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Every time I stay at the Senator Inn, I am treated like a queen. The staff is helpful, efficient and never fails to greet me with a smile. The food in the Cloud 9 Restaurant is excellent and made to order. I stay in Augusta often and always choose the Senator Inn for quality lodging and exceptional food.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
JDDWentworth, Front Office Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear blessedtravelers7,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We hope to see you in Augusta Maine again soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Decided to go away for a mini getawat or vacation. We havee both stayed at the hotel before and enjoyed it but this time wasn't as nice. We were in the part call "The Governor Wing" which is not connected to the main hotel. We were told these room were nicer and more enjoyable. They diffently were not as nice. The room was very small and not updated. The bathroom was very small and had no fan. We were very disappointed compared to our other stays. We would stay at this hotel again but not in this wing, we would request "The Presidential Wing" which is were we were last time and alot nicer. We can't complain much becasue we only paid $59.95 for the room.

Room Tip: Don't stay in The Governor Wing, stay in the Presidential Wing that is connected to the hotel. M...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The senator Inn is a nice place and I want to come back and take full advantage of the spa menu. The restaraunt is great and the continental breakfast is above average. Clearly the restaraunt knows what they're doing. The beds on the other hand.... I've seen this new system of bed making in other hotels, or maybe it's what the chain now does and I've seen it in ohter Best Westerns. It looks like only flat sheets are used for the whole process. Maybe there's a way to get a flat sheet not to come undone when you lay on top of it but not every chambermaid can do it. then there's a flat sheet on top, some thin comfortor thing (and I mean Thin), then another flat sheet, then the whole business is all folded and pretty for the bed. The four pillows is great but the sheet system is too thin for a chilly night in Maine. It's disappointing and not condusive to a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: just ask for an extra blanket at the start
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
JDDWentworth, Front Office Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear EileenK,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your suggestions pertaining the beds has been forwarded to our head housekeeper for further review. We often use comments like your own to help us make the necessary changes to better our business and the future guest experience. We hope to see again soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Inn was classic old inn, which was nice and the salt water pool and hot tub are in a beautiful setting. However, rooms appeared dirty and old due to carpets and paint/wallpaper aging.
The food at the Clould 9 Resturant/Pub was not very good. French onion soup was too salty to eat. I ordered my steak medium rare and it was pretty much raw. I also didn't realize that my steak would be drowned in some kind of goat cheese sauce.....my fault, as I didn't have my glasses but wished the bartender had pointed that out. I like my steak plain and medium rare.
The tone at the bar was a little "out there' especially with younger children around; the "F" word was common and loud. Bartender was also pouring "generous" liquor portions to his buddies and joking about using a "measured pour" so I'm sure you're loosing a lot of liquor money.
Would not come back again.

Room Tip: Pick a Marriott, you can never go wrong.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank kportldy
JDDWentworth, Front Office Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear kportldy,

Thank you for sharing your review with the Tripadvisor.com community. Your post has been forwarded to our management team so they we may use it to better the overall experience for our future guests. We hope to welcome you back to Augusta, Maine soon.

Tip: When booking your next reservation please inform the clerk that you were dissatisfied with the room type you had during your previous stay. We would be happy to upgrade your next reservation to a room that will better suit your travel needs.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Thanks you so much for making our stay so wonderful. The rooms were clean the service was excellent. We enjoyed the indoor pool with the grandkids. We highly recommend your Inn. This was our 2nd time there and we will come again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Patty H,

Thank you for taking the time to recommend the Senator Inn & Spa to the Tripadvisor.com community. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went to our first room and it was musty and smelled. We ak for a different room and they gave a room that was a little better. Both rooms were in need of remodeling. The tub in the second room had a hole in it. The mattress was uncomfortable and the pillows were hard. Not a good nights rest. Won 't be back. Resturant was good and the wait staff was very good. The girls at the front desk were not friendly and didn't smile. V

Room Tip: Ask for a room the has been remodeled.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank jbth
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Senator on Saturday night with a large group. I can not say enough good about it. First of all, these folks who are giving it bad reviews can't be staying in the spa rooms.There are spa rooms and economy rooms (jokingly referred to as the low rent district.). We stayed in a spa room, and it was very luxurious and spacious. It was actually 2 rooms, a sitting room and a bedroom, with 2 sinks and a jacuzzi tub. The beds were heavenly. So much so, I pulled it apart to see what brand it was. Actually is was a very padded mattress cover. My tub wouldn't turn on and 2 workers came to fix it quickly. There's even a TV in the bathroom. The staff all were very helpful, and willing to do whatever to make our stay pleasant. The Cloud 9 restaurant served a great meal, and an adequate complimentary continental breakfast. I would highly recommend the filet of beef and baked stuffed shrimp combo. I received a heavenly facial in the spa. Our group also used the gym and pool areas in the spa with great satisfaction. The spa rooms are a bit more pricey than your average hotel in central Maine, but well worth the expense. My only complaint would be that room 333 had only 1 chair in the sitting area, where every other room seemed to have 2. Minor, but would have been frustrating if I had had time to utilize that area.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the spa wing, or in that tower. I'm told the other wing's rooms are nearl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank efrench2003
JDDWentworth, Front Office Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear efrench2003,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor.com community. Your comments above will be used by our staff and management team to better the overall experience for our future guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Homewood Suites by Hilton Augusta
Maple Hill Farm Inn and Conference Center
Hampton Inn Waterville
Hampton Inn Waterville
#1 of 6 in Waterville

Been to Senator Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!