“Service and comfort are A plus!”
Review of Senator Inn & Spa

Senator Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Augusta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stay at the Senator often and can tell you they aim to please every single day. The staff could not be nicer. I always feel safe and at home. The food alone is worth staying there, excellent free breakfast and the gourmet dinners are 5 star quality.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Blessedtravelers7
JDDWentworth, Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you for staying at the Senator Inn & Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you on your next visit to central Maine and the Augusta community.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I have been staying at Senator Inn & Spa twice a year for the past 7 years. Doug the bartender is an outstanding service asset to the hotel. Though it was since last August since I last visited, Doug welcomed me to the bar by name. Great food and drinks. Before arriving when I made my reservation the front desk chose a room making it easy for me, traveling with a large dog, to have a ground floor room with the out door exit close to the wooded area which surrounds the hotel. As noted elsewhere on this site, The Senator Inn has various size and types of rooms. I have stayed in many from suites, doubles and the motel style rooms which were the first where dogs were allowed a few years ago. My 2 night single king bed room accommodation was perfect March 26th and 27th. I got additional help with DVD player in the room, by the front desk, much appreciated. I also worked out in the well equipped gym + pool. Very well kept facility with friendly helpful staff all around. This place keeps getting better.

Room Tip: Be clear about number in your room and if you want to be on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Christopher,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the Senator Inn & Spa. Even more importantly we thank you for your comments about the Senator Team. They work very hard each and every day to create an individualized experience for our guests. We will be sure to pass your comments to Doug's manager and ensure that he is rewarded for the excellent service he offered during your stay. Once again we thank you for your comments and hope to see you again soon.

- Jason Wentworth
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 28 March 2013

I think this place is great, but you need to stay in the renovated part. Food is excellent, service awesome as well. For the money, you can't do better than this, and, for the solo business traveler the place has all you may need.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank babel39

Reviewed 28 March 2013

We've stayed at the Senator several times over the years and always enjoy ourselves. The staff is always helpful and the reataurant and bar very good. We did notice a distinct difference in the room quality, depending on which wing you were in. Recently, we were in the "older" section that's in need of a makeover soon. The room was clean and neat enough, and the bed was fine, but its showing its age.
Otherwise, we'll be back next trip to Maine!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I started staying at the Senator in 2011, as it was convenient to the Togus VA Hospital in Augusta. The price of the room was what kept us going back. Under the military discount they gave us, the room came out to about $85.00US with taxes.

The front desk staff are professional and respectful, but not friendly.

The rooms are quite adequate, although the room we had this visit was above the laundry so quite warms until we put the ac on. Most of the rooms we stayed in had flat screen TVs, but some didn't. The bathrooms are a bit old in appearance with wallpaper peeling off and mix-matched tiles and also very narrow.

We put the little things aside because of the great price we received, but I have to comment on our recent stay with this hotel. We were in for two nights and on the 2nd night of our stay we came back to find no parking in front of our room nor anywhere near our room. This concerned me as, my husband recently had hip surgery and is still finding walking long distances a bit of a challenge and also our car does not have an alarm. I expressed my concerns to the Front Desk Staff, a woman and a gentleman. The woman informed me there is not assigned parking(which I did not know as we had never had a problem before) and they were full that night so she could not move us into another room. (I had not asked to be moved) I only wanted to be able to park close or in front of the room assigned to us. She made a couple of suggestions in terms of parking but both of the areas she pointed out were full. She then indicated there was nothing she could do and that she was not going to call the rooms on either side of us and disturb the guests with questions regarding their vehicles! I asked to speak with a manager and was put on the phone with the General Manager Roger, who proceeded to treat me as if I was wasting his time. When I told him it was not acceptable to park at the front of the hotel and have my husband walk the distance to our room, he interrupted me and told me to stop going around in circles and playing games!! I assured him I was not playing a game and was just not happy with the situation. He then told me that if I was unhappy I should go and FIND ANOTHER HOTEL!!

Now I work in the hotel business as a front desk person and I have never told a guest to go and find another hotel and neither has my manager. When this situation has arisen which it has, I have called the rooms on either side of the guest and usually find that someone is always willing to move a vehicle!! I feel sorry for the owners who have allowed a general manager like Roger to deal with their guests and should he continue in this position, I would have to say the owners are more worried about selling rooms then keeping guests happy!

So Roger, we are unhappy and we will be finding another hotel to stay at on our next visit to Augusta.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This hotel is an average two star hotel. Small lobby. simple clean rooms. Nothing special other than the beautiful pool spa area. The restaurant food was good but the atmosphere is just okay. small refrigerator and microwave in room .TINY bathroom. Location on main street.Fast food restaurants, target etc nearby.Continental brekfast came with room. average.I would have given it a 3 average if I didn't feel their website is deceiving by posting the pool on the main page. Thought this would be a grand hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mjmae
Reviewed 22 March 2013

What a great evening we had at the Senator! I went with my daughter in law and granddaughter and we had a wonderful experience! The room was amazing, even had a flat screen in the bathroom, fireplace, and an area to work. We had a wonderful meal at the restaurant, so much fun in the pool and then to top it off a wonderful breakfast. (not just a continental breakfast). I would highly recommend it. Next time I go, it will be a girls weekend so we can take advantage of the spa! Thank you for the memorable experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
2 mi away
Comfort Inn Civic Center
Hampton Inn Waterville
Hampton Inn Waterville
#1 of 6 in Waterville

Been to Senator Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!