“Excellent!”

Senator Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Augusta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Both food and hotel were excellent. Many rooms are small-- though spacious compared with the trendy pods in Manhattan-- but clean and enough for their purpose. The shower heads and water pressure provide a strong, massaging shower. Exercise room is good; the pool big enough for real exercise, with lane markers.

The food in Cloud 9 is great, if $$$. One cocktail, glass of wine, mixed grill with fair salad bar (but great homemade bread and soft whipped butter), and dessert, was almost $80 with tip, for one (the room was extremely reasonably priced at $94/night. The meal practically doubled it). The small portion of shrimp and swordfish was almost an afterthought, a little blah and on a small wooden skewer the size of three toothpicks. Nice "tastes", but not a hardy serving. On the other hand, the filet was excellent, perfectly cooked with a nice, though unneeded, Béarnaise on the side, as there was not an ounce of fat or gristle inside or out; it was succulent and melt in your mouth. Mashed were a little stiff, though tasty, and asparagus perfectly al dente, with no dry or stringy or tough ends ends. The friendly bartenders know how to mix a drink; dirty martini was delicious with those ice chips in an up glass. Not sure about the wine, I was graciously provided a taste.

Free breakfast is great. The scrambled eggs perfectly cooked, even creamy-- no easy feat for eggs in a tray with sterno; fruit and bread was fresh. Though labeled as continental, it is more. But if serving eggs, how about at least one meat?

Service is A+; everyone greets with a smile. Even a maintenance man excused himself when I inadvertently got in HIS way and tried to excuse myself.

Overall experience was excellent and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The prices are so reasonable, try to upgrade to a larger room, if available.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
JDDWentworth, Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write such a wonderful review Steve12-33-34! It was a pleasure to read.

There are newer reviews for Senator Inn & Spa

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in Augusta several times over the past few months. I've seen pictures of the Senator and have driven by several times. I decided to give it a try. The rate was incredible.... It was too good to be true. I was upgraded to a Presidential Suite. It looks like a Hampton Inn type room, not any bigger. The only difference is the Senators room was dingy, old and dirty. Not at all what I hoped for. It reminds me of a hotel you could rent by the hour. There were cigarette burns on the chair. The bathroom floor was chipped and dirty. The bottom of the tub was BLACK with dirt. I put a towel down when I took a shower. The toilet wasn't even bolted to the floor!!!!
Their spa packages may be nice, but I will never know. I will not return as a guest to the Senator.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Marke W
Reviewed 7 December 2013

As a Maine State Legislator the Senator is my "home away from home". They make the time away from my regular home very comfortable. I can not say too many good things about the way they treat their customers! I would recommend the Senator for one night or, weeks and months.

Room Tip: The Spa rooms are well worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed at the Senator Inn for a special evening and it was more then we could have expected. The room was absolutely beautiful, we stayed in a King Spa Suite. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. We especially loved the fireplace and Jacuzzi tub we had in the room. It was one of the most beautiful evening we have had at a hotel. We will definitely be returning very soon.

Room Tip: King Spa Suite is roomy, comfortable and fireplace and Jacuzzi tub makes it worth the stay.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We've stayed at the Senator for years and have always enjoyed the property! Our children especially enjoy the beautiful pool/spa area and the restaurant is always top-notch! We have normally stayed in one of the queen suites, which are very nice. This year we opted for a more budget conscious room and were a bit disappointed with the condition of the room. We were in one of the lower rooms which had not been updated in many years by the looks of it. The bathroom tile was yellow, sink cracked and the shower was erratic... not what we have experienced in the rest of the property, which has always been well maintained. I think they need to invest in making sure that all the rooms are up to snuff! We will continue to be loyal customers and overall were satisfied with our most recent stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room. The suites are especially nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Whenever I am in Augusta, Me which is about four times a year to visit family, I stay at the Senator Inn and Spa. The rooms are clean and affordable. It is worth it if you want a treat to stay in the suites as breakfast is free and the accommodations make you feel like royalty. The continental breakfast is terrific. The room staff and restaurant staff are very helpful and each time you go you will feel like you are at home.....My preference for Maine is the Senator Inn & Spa....Oh! Don't forget the pool and spa offerings.

Room Tip: I would try to stay in a suite if you have the opportunity. It is a little more money but very much...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
JDDWentworth, Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

It was delightful reading your review Lillian, Thank you!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stay at the Senator several times every year and you can always count on a clean, comfortable room. The bathroom in the room we stayed in was just upgraded (complete renovation with new tiled shower) and was very nice. The amenities at the Senator make it a great value for families.

Room Tip: Take a look at the website which shows room options.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing Patricia. We are working hard to have all of the bathrooms in the Congressional Wing completed by March!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Homewood Suites by Hilton Augusta
Hampton Inn Augusta
Hampton Inn Augusta
#2 of 9 in Augusta
Best Western Plus Augusta Civic Center Inn
Comfort Inn Civic Center
Maple Hill Farm Inn and Conference Center
Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta

Been to Senator Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!