“Poor service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is an older motel, with a nice New England ambiance. However, there are problems. Front desk staff are indifferent and ill-informed. I requested a room with a stall-shower. At check-in I was assured the room I was assigned had a stall shower, but it was located a good distance away, in
another building. I asked if they were sure there was nothing closer. They said there was nothing closer, and got rather huffy. Turned out the room they assigned me did not have a stall shower, I asked for another room, and was given what I requested in the first place, in the location I had asked for but been told there were no rooms in that location with a stall shower. They need to train their staff better. Also the dining room is in chaos. Apps and entree came at the same time.We we not able to enjoy our apps and eat the entree without something getting cold. The meal was not worth the high prices. We have stayed at this property a number of times, and each time it gets a little less desirable. I don't think we will do it again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dianne S
JDDWentworth, Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your experience with us. We have recently renovated some of our rooms with a stand up only shower and I believe some of our new employees were not aware of the recent change. As a team, we have discussed the newer features of our rooms so that the staff can provide better customer service in the future. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the Restaurant Manager to ensure that the staff is providing the best service possible.

As the Assistant General Manager I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and to provide you with a satisfying resolution. My contact information can be found on the Senator Inn website.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Bit belated...but better late than never!

The first room we were offered wasn't really nice and not recommended. It was at the back and away from the hotel itself, so we then got a room in the main part.

Bad luck! The electricity failed and the maintenance couldn't get it fixed so the guy on reception offered us an upgrade. Let me set the scene why! We were on our motorcycle and had gone through a downpour so we were soaked through and all our clothes, bags, etc. were out to dry. So we had to pack all of this up at 22.00 and move.
The guy on reception was really a great person to deal with, friendly and willing to help.

This upgrade was just a great room, more a suite. Big, comfy and very welcome after all our troubles.

Breakfast is a star buffet with a really great choice of quality offerings and waitress service to attend your table which is rare today. The wide selection had all we needed, and more, and set us up very well for the day ahead.

We ate a terrific meal the night before in the restaurant and had a memorable meal. For sure, you Americans (well, most!) just know how to cook a real burger! The one here was delicious.

Yes. Highly recommended and for sure we would go back if in the area again which just may be next month!

Room Tip: Stay in the better rooms and for sure in the main building.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Harleyclarkey
JDDWentworth, Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience of the Senator Inn & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed the upgraded room from a long day of traveling. We are very proud of our staff for providing wonderful customer service. We are very pleased you enjoyed the dinner and breakfast from our Cloud 9 Restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you soon on your next trip!
Rumford, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed overnight and accidentily left my sons bear behind. I called as soon as I got home and was told by the front desk the bear had been found in the room. I told the lady I live two hrs away how long can the bear be held. She told me they would hold it for a month when could I get it. I told her I would be down in two weeks. She promised she would make a note that I would come get it and told me to call when I was on my way so they could have the bear at the desk. Two weeks and one day later I called and said id be down and arrived to be told the bear could not be found. The only saving grace to this experience was the head of housejeeping a man named joe. He spent hours searching for the bear and was extremely upset when I told him about my son being very upset he has special needs and its very hard for him to wait the two weeks for me to have enough time off work to drive down. Now to tell him the bear is gone and is pretty much irreplacable as I cant find anotger and he doesnt want another he wants the same bear. I asked joe to have the general manager to call me so I could speak with him about this. The bear was either stolen by an employee or t hr own away is what joe told me. I have waited four days for a call from the general manager and havnt even recieved a call from anyone in management much less the general manager. Absolutely terrible customer service or carw for returning customers. On top of that the locker rooms and showers in the pool area were unclean and smelled quite badly. The room was ok better then the first room we stayed in where the floor tiles were broken and you couldnt get into the bathroom without wedging past the bathroom door. The young man running the desk at the spa had quite a snippy attitude whem asked to provide a bathrobe for my massage which I did not recieve a bath robe and was lectured quite profusely on being five minutes late to something im paying for. Perhaps if there were not so many people in the parking lot that I had to park two rows away from my room and spa I would have made it on time. Not sure how when a hotel is only half booked every parking space in front of the rooms is full. Just disgusted with the whole experience.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank vacationtime1981
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your review with regards to your recent stay at the Senator Inn & Spa.

Your comments are invaluable to us in our efforts to improve our standards of service. On behalf of the Senator Team, I would like to extend my sincerest apology for your son's bear that was lost.

As the Assistant General Manager I would be happy to have the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and to provide you with a satisfying resolution. My contact information can be found on the Senator Inn website.
Portland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Met a few friends for an over night, and Augusta was a nice middle spot for us to meet. Our room was sufficient. Clean and comfortable. Spa area was also clean. We used hot tub, pool, sauna and workout space with no complaints :) Not luxurious, but adequate.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sweetpea92
Thank you for sharing your experience of our hotel. We are currently renovating many of our rooms to keep them up to date. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Lounge and hope to see you again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Only stayed for one night on business. Room was clean, just Very outdated. All furniture needs updating. Bar in the hotel was great. Good drinks and atmosphere. Food in the Restaurant at the hotel.... Really not that great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jean P
Ellsworth, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Friends and I stayed at the Senator Inn & Spa while we were competing with our dogs in an agility trial nearby. We were delighted to find such a nice place that's also pet-friendly. We were in the wing that adjoins a nice little walking area for the dogs to relieve themselves - very convenient! We also had an excellent meal in the restaurant, and there were several vegetarian choices.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are good for people with pets, and they're very attractive, comfortable, and...
Green Features: The inn's environmentally-friendly practices would also steer me toward staying there rather than somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jamie H
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of the Senator Inn & Spa. We are proud to be a pet friendly and an environmentally friendly hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

One of the nicest, most comfortable I've ever stayed in. We stayed in a suite with Jaccuzi and fireplace. The jaccuzi is a tight fit for 2, but functioned well. Rooms are well appointed, with everything you could want.

Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. When the front desk couldn't get a maintenance person to come light the fireplace pilot, he came up and did it himself!

We'll stay there everytime we go to Augusta.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill H
Thank you Bill H for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed the spa suite with the fireplace and the single person Jacuzzi jet tub. We are happy to hear that the staff gave you their top notch service.

We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Homewood Suites by Hilton Augusta
Maple Hill Farm Inn
Maple Hill Farm Inn
#1 of 1 in Hallowell
Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta

Been to Senator Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!