“The Discomfort Inn”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“The Discomfort Inn”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My wife and I arrived at what we now call The Discomfort Inn on Friday, August 9, at 3:00 pm for a wedding rehearsal dinner at the Belgrade Lakes at 6 pm. Our room was not ready until after 4:30. The next morning, Saturday, August 10, there was no hot water until after 12 noon. We were assured the problem had been permanently repaired only to find there was again no hot water on Sunday, August 11. We at left at 11 am without washing or showering for a luncheon appointment in Kennebunkport. The one bright spot was the helpful young man (Zach?) behind the front desk who remained calm under most adverse circumstances and provided limited cash compensation for the continued inconveniences.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pauline B
Erica H, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Civic Center, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
We would like to apologize for our temperary hot water issue. You are a valued guest and we hope you will try us again in the future! Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed their a few weeks ago and the rooms were clean, even the housekeepers were really friendly. Mindy was awesome she went over and above what any housekeeper should do, that girl deserves a raise! The manager Jeff gave me a room that the ac did not work because he just wanted to sell a room is my guess. Other than that stay all in all was good.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. We take pride in our friendly staff, I will let Mindy know of your appreciation.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel has not been well managed. It's too bad, since it has great potential. First, all of the hallways smelled like mothballs. Next, the room was dirty. There was hair stuck to the shower walls and toilet, and there was either black mold or mildew in the A/C unit louvres. But what sent me over the edge was that there was no hot water in the morning. Other guests said the same. We checked out after one day and went to the much nicer Hampton Inn on Western Ave. The nice young man at the desk was most apologetic, but he was used to the complaints. We asked for and received a partial refund. This hotel needs higher cleaning standards and probably a change in management. Owner, take notice!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Newmaniscute
We would like to apologize for our temporary hot water issue. We are working hard to make every stay the best. Thank you for taking the time to review us!
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Carpet in room felt very dirty and grimy, had to wear footwear at all times. Bedspread...eww. Sheeting was clean and beds were comfortable. Bathroom was lovely and clean.

Backdoor entry is broken despite management saying in an earlier review that it had been fixed. back stairwell full of dead flies, moths etc along with a few live ones.

Many different areas in both the exterior and interior showing signs of tiredness and wear. This location needs a refurb in order to bring it in line with the standards of other Comfort Inns I have stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Canmum
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear your stay was anything but fantastic. Our guest's satisfaction is very important to us. We will soon be in the midst of some exciting renovations. We would be pleased to have you as our guest again in the future.
Rocky Mount, NC
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Pet friendly room, great location, clean, friendly staff. Would stay here again for sure! Eat next door at 99 - great prime rib! Very pet friendly, area out back to walk dogs. We stayed here for two nights to visit Boothbay Harbor. Nice drive over there. And although we had a pet friendly room, there was no smell. And a lot of times pet friendly rooms are also smoking, this one was not.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Erica H, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Civic Center, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for your review. Our pet policy is one of the best! We love having furry friends stay with us, and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Maine, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is my first tripadvisor review.... Here goes!

Though the Comfort seemed to be severely understaffed, I would recommend this hotel over the Senator Inn any day! I was supposed to stay at the Senator Inn for 3 days, but checked out after my first night there because my feet were sticky after walking across the floor without my shoes. DISGUSTING. It was also very outdated and reeked of cigarrettes even though I requested a non-smoking room. Anyway, when a coworker of mine recommended the Comfort, I made reservations for the rest of my stay in Augusta. I've stayed at the Comfort twice now for business in Augusta, and I have yet to be disappointed! I must admit that I was a bit shocked to see a nose piercing on one of the female front desk associates, but other than that, everyone was very professional and friendly. One of the housekeeping employees (Kyle) even made an elephant out of a towel! Cute. (I left you a tip, Kyle! It was in an envelope which I delivered to the girl with the nose ring).

Note to hotel manager: Your employees all need a raise (especially Zachary, who inspired me to leave a tripadvisor review). As a former employee of the hospitality industry, I know just how overwhelming, stressful, frustrating, and downright CRAZY a position as a front desk associate can be. I also recommend that you hire more front desk associates! Your hotel is waaaaay too big to have just one person on staff! It's not fair (or safe) to your employees and it's frustrating to your guests.

Note to hotel staff: Stay in school, get a degree, and get out of the hospitality industry as soon as you can! I have been where you are, and I feel your frustrations! Advocate for yourselves! Hugs to all of you!

Thanks, Comfort Inn staff! I shall recommend you to my fellow state employees! Cheers!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for such a wonderful review. We work very hard to please each and every guest, and it is always a pleasure to hear feedback. We have wonderful staff members, and they will be happy to hear they're work is appreciated. Looking forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2013

They gave us a smoking room. When I asked for switching it to a non-smoking room, they told us it was because of booking online via booking.com, and they could not do anything for us. They also said it happens all the time when someone is booking via booking.com. When we insisted to switch, the front desk staff told us that they would try if there was a cancellation. We checked with her several time, she kept telling us that there wasn't one. However, through her body language, we could tell that she had no intention to help us at all. BTW, we had many reservations via booking.com on the same trip, this was the only one we had problem with.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, most online reservations do come thru to us as smoking rooms, if no special requests were added to the reservation. I am truly sorry there were no non-smoking rooms available during the time of your stay. We welcome you to try us again in the future and let us make your stay a great one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Best Western Plus Augusta Civic Center Inn
#5 of 9 in Augusta
Homewood Suites by Hilton Augusta
Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta
Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel

Been to Comfort Inn Civic Center? Share your experiences!