“You would think they never turned a group before”

Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Checking in on tournament day, we did not get a room until 830pm! Come to find out, they sold late checkouts, didn't have enough housekeeping staff, and had to "wash the sheets before they could make up the rooms". They ran out of soda & water, and I was told, it's been ordered, it should be here in a few days. Great location & facility, too bad they don't know how to make the most of it!

Room Tip: the extra $30 for a field side room added to the kids experience.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelbug2139
Elizabeth B, Sales Coordinator at Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Travelbug2139,

Firstly, thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott at Ripken Stadium and sharing your experience with us. I apologize your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback. I share and understand your frustrations that your rooms was not ready for your family when your arrived. In addition, I have spoken with who order our market items to make sure that we always have refreshments available for our guest.

Again, please accept my apology for your disappointing stay. If you would like to discuss your stay any further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope we will get the chance to serve you again when travel brings you back to Aberdeen.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Please be aware of the construction going on at the Courtyard and Residence Inn Cal Ripkin Aberdeen MD properties. First off we were never notified of the construction. I don't know why they would have construction going on and not on the off season. They closed the entire Courtyard side restaurant/lobby area and limited the outside area as well. They hoard everyone into the Residence Inn side. All guests (Courtyard and Residence Inn) are limited to 2 elevators, one of which is shared by housekeeping. So we had to use the Residence Inn elevator go to the 5th floor and then walk the entire floor to the opposite side of the property (courtyard side room 520).
This is our second stay at this property. We did stay during the same time last year. Both the hotel and the baseball fields have declined dramatically in one year, sad to say.
The front desk tried promoting the inconvenience by saying it was the "newly renovated" side of the hotel. After the lengthy trek to our room we found it was a nice renovated room next to the ice machine and stairs. We found that we did not have a remote for our TV, two other parties in our group had issues with the remote and one also did not have phone that worked. We found that the "NEW" ice machines did not work on 4 of the floors as well.
At check in we were not given our room rate as booked. We were forced to pay more. Later we found out that another person in our group was given the room rate we initially book. They were NOT told they had to pay a higher room rate. A person in our party had a lengthy discussion with the front desk staff about the issue. We still had to pay the high room rate.
The guest traffic in the Residence Inn lobby was horrible. Having only 2 elevators servicing two properties is absurd. They attempted to put a "lobby bar" in the already small, overcrowded lobby area which created additional congestion. When the "bar" which was a short table with three bar stools was open the lady working it seemed to be bothered by being there. She stood frowning seemingly unhappy to be there.
The parking for the hotels and baseball fields are shared. The parking is limited. I noticed alot of construction vehicles and trailers taking up alot of parking spaces for guests at the hotel and people coming to play and watch the games. The construction barriers blocked off much of the outside area were it was nice to sit and watch baseball games on the Ripkin field. Unfortunately this was not possible during the day. Construction people had carpet sitting out out where you want to sit and watch a game and not in their fenced off work area.
In the morning Residence Inn set up a tent where they served breakfast to the Courtyard guest because the restaurant was closed as well. The tent consisted of several picnic tables under a large tent. The morning of check out around 9am I watched who I thought was the front desk manager exit the only exit to the baseball fields and look at two garbage cans that were over flowing with the night before's pizza boxes and garbage and continue his conversation with another employee.
I left a polo shirt in the closet in our room by accident. We checked out and played our games. While on the way home I remembered I left the shirt there. It was 3 hours after check out that I called the hotel about my shirt. The female front desk agent took my name and number and said that she would check with housekeeping and call me back. I called back a short time later to verify the room and location. She again assured me that someone would check and call back. I did not receive a call back that day. I had to call the next day. Spoke with a different front desk agent. She too took my name and number and said she would check. After 2 hours she did call me back. OF COURSE she advised me that housekeeping could NOT locate my polo shirt. She said that they checked the closet and it was not there.
For a Marriott property I am extremely disappointed with quality of the hotel and the employees. As for the baseball park there it too has declined since last year. If you don't mind paying top dollar for a low rate place, waiting 5 minutes for an elevator, inching your way in and out of over-crowded lobby area then this is the place for you. Don't try to tell these people anything because they don't want to hear about it. Sad, very sad to see.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Crista W, Guest Services Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

gonz13,

Firstly, thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott at Ripken Stadium and sharing your experience with us. I apologize your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback. I share and understand your frustrations with the hotel renovation, however it is truly out of our control as to the start date. I hope that once the improvements are complete, you will have the opportunity to come back and enjoy the new hotel spaces. I think you will find them to be very nice and accomodating. In addition, I am happy that we found your polo shirt and you should be receiving it in the next few days.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is one of the few Courtyard's that has not switched over to the Bistro. That is a very good thing, it means you can still get free coffee in the morning. Rooms are clean and comfortable. The hotel is right next to Ripken stadium, but not real close to anything else. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SoCalgw
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were so pleased with our experience at the Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium. We stayed there for a tournament and everything was fantastic. My son thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet, arcade, pool and the fact that he could look out the window of his room and see the Cal Ripken Stadium. Plus, we had grandparents along to watch their grandson play and were super impressed with the staff at the Courtyard. They were very accomodating to my mom who could not walk well and needed help getting to the games. The staff arranged for a golf cart to take her to the various stadium! They were friendly and incredibly helpful. Every part of our weekend was fantastic. We would recommend this location to travellers of all ages. You will be very impressed with their hospitality, ease of travel, and accomodations!! Thank you.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the ballpark is just fantastic!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful. The room was large and very comfortable. The room was across from the elevators and we could hear whenever anyone got on or off it. Of course, most people don't understand hotel etiquette, and think that no one else is staying at the hotel and they can be as loud as they want in the halls. That is not the hotel's fault. Fortunately, it was not really busy, and we were not bothered late into the night. I could see where that location could be a problem. The breakfast was ok. We did not use the pool or exercise room.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We only stayed overnight but this hotel would be a great place for baseball fans. Our room overlooked Cal Ripken stadium. The room was very clean and comfortable. We got a great rate on Priceline. Breakfast was included but after a late night, we got up too late to enjoy it. The hotel had a bar but we didn't use it. All staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Even room numbers overlook the stadium.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I didn't expect much of this hotel but was pleasantly surprised. One downside to the place:

I asked for a late check-in so instead of 11 am i requested 2 pm and the front desk told me no problem.

at 11 am there was a knock at my door, I explained I was still in the room until 2.
at 11:15 am there was a knock. Same thing
11:30 - same thing
at 12 pm, i went to get a drink and realized my key didnt work. At this time the room checker was coming by. I explained I needed to get back in the room. He said, 'no you have checked out.'
I explained I had not as all of my belongings were still in the room and could he please let me in. He said 'no' and continued walking. Luckily there was a front desk phone by the elevators and I was able to get my card extended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Crista W, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

J L,

Firstly, thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott, Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. However, I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your late check-out and our staff. I am disappointed as well and will be looking into the situation. It is always a priority to make our guests feel welcome and be available to help whenever needed. Please contact me the next time you are in the Aberdeen area and I would be more than happy to assist you.

Crista West