Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Aberdeen
Albion, New York
“Acceptable”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Conveniently located to many restaurants and shopping centers, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was also good with biscuits and gravy, as well as eggs and sausage or bacon.

They had me at the end of the hall and the internet was weak (2 bars) and therefore slow.

My desk chair would sink down if I reclined which was frustrating.

All things considered (including price) I will definitely stay again if in the neighborhood.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I had to go to APG for a few days for work, and I brought my wife and kids up for a couple days. The rooms were comfortable, but cozy. The continental breakfast was prety good--eggs, and bacon and biscuts and gravy on the mornings I was there... plus cereal, fruit, toast, etc. The pool was fun (but again, a little small). However, the kids had a great time at the pool, and the staff must have put some water toys in there. They had a ball! Regarding the location--Aberdeen itself didn't have too much to offer... so we went to Havre De Grace and did the riverwalk. It was pretty and quaint.
To sum up: decent service, a pretty good breakfast, and a clean, comfortable room for a pretty fair price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BudgetTraveler2468
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel is 2 stars at most to me. The room was clean and the free continental breakfast was decent. What brought the hotel down several notches was the bad customer service. My husband and I came to the area for a wedding and this hotel was the bride's preferred choice. So we came in at 1:30pm asking if they had an available room. I understand check-in is at 3pm and they did not have a room for us so we decided to just stay in the area and come back. We called in at 3pm and they said they still did not have a room available yet. I started getting worried because I needed to take a shower and get ready for the wedding! We're in Maryland in the middle of July... I felt disgusting and couldn't imagine not having a room to freshen up in before the wedding. I didn't want to panic just yet so we gave them another hour or so and came in around 4 to see if a room was ready. My aunt told me she just checked in so I thought all was in the clear. When we came in at 4, they told us they still did not have a room available! The front desk employee asked for our names so she could jot it down in a waiting list... I had to complain because we came in at 1:30 PM and this was the first time that names were being put on a waiting list! After that, front desk seemed annoyed with my annoyance. We eventually got a room before 5pm which gave us time to shower and get ready.

I understand things were busy and hectic but they are in the hospitality business so in my opinion, should have better customer service. Also, if they cannot check-in guests at 3pm (which is the hotel's check-in time), they should store somewhere in the system a list of guests who are waiting. I've had this convenience in other hotels and I feel I should've been one of the first on that waiting list since I came earlier and asked them for updates throughout the afternoon!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank KrisLT617
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear KrisLT617,

Thank you for the candid review of our property as this will guide us in making the right decisions. We appreciate you taking the time to help us continually improve our guests services.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction you had with our customer service. Our goal has always been to deliver the highest level of service and customer care and we deeply regret that we have fell short on our regular standards on this occasion.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Aberdeen, Maryland
Reviewed 3 July 2013

As soon as I checked in, I saw an announcement that the water was going to be shut off the next day at 10:00 am. That is, effectively, a check-out time at 10:00 am and a significant inconvenience. I verified with the desk clerk and she said sorry, yes, it is true. It was not until the next day that the other clerk said, yes, it is true but that only means no hot water until 10:00. This is not what the announcement said, and it would have been good to know the full story the day before, as we planned on an early check out.

We asked for a room on the first floor. That was a mistake. They had the hoses strewn across the hallway to vacuum service the hallway carpet. The machine noise continued for two hours. Also, they gave us a handicapped room which means that your shower will result in a wet bathroom floor if you use it like a non-disabled person.

Breakfast: Good considering it was on the free-free. Great crispy bacon.

Surroundings are OK. They give you a $5 off coupon for the Olive Tree restaurant next door. Olive Tree service was excellent, but the place was cold enough to make your toes numb. I don't know why these places overdo the A/C. Nice plasma screen sports in one part of the restaurant.

They had a broken door at the Fitness Center. The key would not open the door, and we had to ask the front desk for help to yank it open. But it is one of the better Holiday Inn Fitness Centers, if you can finally bust the door down to get in. They have more than just the usual treadmills and step machines. There was a great row exerciser and a good upper body machine. You will need the Fitness Center because there is no way you can run outside. Lots of traffic.

Outstanding snack machines. They had two of them. You can walk a short way across the busy street to a supermarket to buy food items for the fridge and microwave.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor. Noise and hazards from service machines. I would also ask the front desk ab...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank johnmoore4
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear johnmoore4,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is unfortunate that you found this visit to be less than satisfactory especially with the amenities not working as expected. I have taken note of your feedback and this will be forwarded to the concerned departments to consider for upgrades needed. Despite this, it is pleasing to know that the breakfast served was adequate your needs.

I hope the next time you are in the area, you give our hotel another chance to host you again.

Pam G
Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel had been recently updated when I stayed in early 2013. The rooms and service were average. The location was nice, within walking distance to a few restaurants and within a few minutes drive to several stores, and a rental car agency. The large rooms included a mini-fridge, microwave, and plenty of space to spread out.

The gym was small but functional and never very busy. There was an indoor pool, which while old looking, was heated and clean. The vending machine included a wine bottle opener and there was also a mini-arcade on the first floor. I haven't seen one of those in years and appreciated the memories it brought back.

Everything was fine here except for the internet connection. The port in my and my co-workers' rooms did not work. The wireless was excruciatingly slow. For this reason only, I would probably not stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms may be colder or hotter depending on the time of year - they are next to the stairwells...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank kdlady123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear kdladyhill,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and for the nice comment regarding our rooms.

However, We’re sorry about the internet connection. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This Holiday Inn was a really nice one. I was travelling and had to adhere to per diem rates. The room was clean, fairly quiet, and pretty comfortable. It had a microwave and fridge too, but I didn't use them. The hotel has several good bars and restaurants within walking distance, so that was a plus. A baseball team of 8-12 year old boys arrived on my floor, and they were quite loud until around 10 pm, but I was awake and didn't really care. Breakfast was typical: biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, yogurt. Nothing special there, but nothing horrifying either.

The only really bad thing about the hotel: The free Wifi was so painfully slow. It was as if they were sharing a dial-up connection between everyone in the hotel. Other than this one flaw, I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kukrusher
Wellsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We spent 3 days here. The hotel is 5 minutes from the Cal Ripken Stadium. They hotel has a very nice breakfast. We were able to get up have a nice breakfast and spend the day playing baseball. All the kids loved the pool. The pool is where we spent our evenings.There is a lot of good restaurants in walking distance. The staff at this hotel was class act. Everyone was very nice. If you are going to a Cal Ripken Tournament this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family