“fun, but didn't learn anything”
Review of Womanship

Womanship
Ranked #83 of 90 things to do in Annapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: A Transforming Experience. Womanship, the renowned sailing school for and by women is celebrating its 25th year. More than 67,000 women, around the world, have joined us to become the sailors they want to be - the Womanship Way - enjoying hands-on, student centered and interactive learning on board an actual sailing cruise. Teaching in 16 locations in the US and off foreign shores, Womanship customizes courses for individual couples, families, mothers and daughters, teens, social and corporate groups.
Reviewed 15 November 2006

I took a womanship "course" in the BVI in March of '05. They make a big deal out of "women teaching women" how to sail. The night before I was to board their ship they called the hotel I was laying over in to tell me that there was no woman instructor, and that there would be a man taking us out. No biggy for me....but it turns out that while this guy was a lot of fun and showed us all the sights, he was no instructor. While I had a very pleasant trip, I learned nothing.
The staff at womanship were very friendly and answered all my questions....until I paid. Then they were curt and uncommunicative and actually told me that they were too busy to answer my two quick questions. The "information package" they sent was two photocopied pages that was full of contradictory information. They were supposed to pick me up from the airport -- no one showed up and I had to find my own way to the marina. (The taxi driver gave me quite a lecture...he said "All those Womenship people have to do is tell us when their guest are arriving and we'd be there...they never will tell us." ) We had to visit several Marinas before we found the right one....then no one was there from Womanship and I had to wander around and wait for several hours, hungry with nothing open.
All in all, while it's hard to be disappointed with a week sailing around the BVI -- I was certainly disappointed in Womanship. If you want to learn to sail, take an accredited course; if you want to have fun sailing in the BVI, charter a boat with a captain. You'll save a bunch of money and get the same thing.

8  Thank suzeh2000
There are newer reviews for Womanship

Reviewed 7 August 2006

I signed up for a 3-day live aboard course out of Greenport, NY and paid $1,050 well in advance of the June 26th departure date. On Monday --5 days before the departure date, I get a phone call saying that it is "likely" that the course will be cancelled as the only boat that sails out of Greenport was damaged the prior weekend, but they will call me to confirm on Thursday. On Thursday, I receive no phone call and when I called Womanship, I am told that the person who knows about this in on vacation until after the July 4th holiday (and after the date my course is supposed to leave). I asked for a refund and was told that my Registration Agreement states if the course is cancelled by Womanship, they get to keep your money and you can apply it to another course that you have to take within 18 months of the departure date. When I tried to reschedule, I was told that the only boat sailing out of Greenport was damaged, but they quickly suggested that I could travel to Annapolis, MD to take a course from there (a bit far since I live in CT). No offer to pay for my travel to MD. The staff is not very helpful and they are often seem to be confused about what equipment is working. For example, when I called today to see if the Greenport boat was back in the water, they claimed to have 4 boats that sail out of Greenport, but 2 are commissioned to girls scouts for the summer, 1 was damaged and 1 is fulled booked. So apparently, since Hune they obtained another boat in Greenport. Bottom line -- Womanship has $1,050 of my money, I can't get a straight answer from them and I have no recourse. My advice...if you decide to try this...get trip insurance.

10  Thank ctsailor1
Reviewed 16 September 2004

I took the Womanship course in July 2004. As soon as I reached the dock...the wrong slip #..things went down hill! We did not have the same instructor the entire time, we had a male instructor for two days...not quite the point of taking a WOMAN's sailing course! The first boat was filthy, equipment malfunctioned, leaked when it rained, and not correctly provisioned. We did switch boats..taking half a day of sailing time! That boat had equipment problems too! We never anchored out as the brochure described and never really sailed out of sight of the dock area! And to top it off when we requested a refund due to our not so positive experience we were refused and very arrogantly replied to! I did not receive the "woman empowerment" experience that was so highly advertised. I would not recommend this course...I think you could find better!

13  Thank travelford
A TripAdvisor Member
Phiadelphia, PA
Reviewed 2 August 2003

It's more than just about learning to sail! It's about doing something for myself while becoming independent, confident, working with a team and having fun. I've sailed with Womanship in Annapolis, Key West, the BVIs and (soon) Greece. The instructors are very experienced, great teachers and their love of sailing is infectious. From the time the boat leaves the dock to the time it returns, the students do it all - piloting, navigating, trimming the sails - a real hands on learning environment. And, 'Nobody Yells', their motto, is absolutely true. The instructor prepares the students as to what needs to be done and how to do it in such a manner that there is no need to yell.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member