“Good location”

Ranked #14 of 25 Annapolis B&B and Inns
Texas
“Good location”
Reviewed 10 June 2007

The room was small but the location was perfect. It would have been nice to visit with the owners, but the downstairs deli is extremely busy and they are understandably unable to meet the B&B guest. The food in the deli was delicious. The only really negative thing about the Inn was the parking. Although it is not far from the Inn, we had to circle the area for over thirty minutes to get into the parking garage, as it was full and we had to wait for an open spot. Overall we enjoyed our stay there and would go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2007

My boyfriend and I spent a long weekend in Maryland, hitting Baltimore, Annapolis, and Ellicott City. We chose the Scotlaur Inn in Annapolis mainly because of price; it was cheaper than most, and the Main St. location was a plus.

You check in at the Delly counter, which is a total "Greasy Spoon." Since we were travelling light (if you have lots of bags and luggage then this is NOT the place for you!), the check-in was pretty painless. We then climbed the stairs to our third floor bedroom (again, not the kind of thing you want to do with heavy bags). The room was small and quaint, but in a pleasant way. The linens and the room was clean and comfortable, and we couldn't hear any noise from the Delly.

It's a perfect place to stay if you just need somewhere to rest your head for the night. I have no real complaints about it, but no real praises either. The location is great and you literally walk out of the front door and onto bustling Main Street. We did hear some dump trucks early in the morning, and you can hear noises from the street (especially after the bars closed at 2 am), but its not too bad.

While we waited outside the Delly for a table the next morning, the infamous owner (I'm blanking on his name) came booming outside. He's a big, charismatic, friendly man. My boyfriend was rubbing my shoulders, and the owner looked right at me and said "Maam, may I see your left hand?" I held up my hand. And he said, "A ha!" and then to my boyfriend, "Get your hands off this woman until you put a ring on her finger!" We were both pretty embarrassed (there were a bunch of other people waiting), but then he came back outside and showed us an article in the newspaper. Apparently, he had said a similar thing to a guy and a girl a few weeks ago, and then he ended up proposing to her in the Delly!

It's a fun place, if you don't mind small rooms and a little joking around from the owner!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The awkward check-in.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Laura P
Memphis
Reviewed 1 March 2007

These rooms are entirely too small. Don't be fooled by the internet pictures. Even though the bathroom had been remodeled, you had to stand beside the toilet just to close the door! The room we were in was not clean either........

• Stayed February 2007
4 Thank Outatown

Travellers are raving about these Annapolis hotels

pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 December 2006

Spent a weekend at the Scottlauer Inn on Main Street in Annapolis. It's on top of a Deli but we never heard noises from there. Rooms are cute. Small but very functional. Breakfast is in the deli. Good choices, but crowded in the AM. Our room 201 faced Main Street and the only time that was a problem was when the bars let out at 2AM. Other than that it was great. Wonderful location!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — steps upstairs
  • Tips/Secrets — time your breakfast
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fuzzpooktravels
Mid-Atlantic
Reviewed 7 November 2006

My stay this weekend at the Scotlaur Inn has prompted me to write my first hotel review.

My wife and I went to DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis for our anniversary, and we stayed at several places along the way; this was the worst experience of any of them.

I'll start with the positives: The room was nice and clean, and breakfast was good enough (read on and you'll see what I mean):

Now the negatives. I will start with the least to the worst issues:

1. Bed and Breakfast? Scotlaur Inn should not be considered a Bed and Breakfast, at least not in the traditional sense. I do not believe the proprietors sleep on the premises (at least I never found out because I never spoke to either of them), and breakfast was in a public delicatessan run on the first floor. Breakfast essentially consisted of a $5 stipend (but the food was good). This place is a bed and breakfast about as much as a Holiday Inn Express is. I was actually not too concerned with this, but other tourists might find it informative.

2. The Room. By the time we finally got into the room at 3pm, it was in the process of being cleaned. The room was heated by an air conditioner/heat pump and a portable space heater. The room was rather cold when we arrived because the heat pump was not turned on. This, in my opinion, was tolerable considering the building is nearly a century old; the cleaning lady was a non-issue to me, as she was finished in about 5 minutes.

3. Check in/Check out. Checking in consisted of waiting in line at the diner's cash register. My wife and I got in town and actually could not even get in the door because the diner was so packed. We had to come back later. When we did, I was finally able to speak to a server at the register who simply said "Have you been here before? Here are the rules. . ." and threw me a key. Checking out was not much better, and consisted of the server taking back the key and stating "okay, you're all set. Have a safe trip." This was annoying and not very personable (visitors more sensitive than I probably would have found it offensive).

4. Construction on the Premises. We stayed on the third floor because I had read you could sometimes hear the diner from the second floor rooms in the morning. My wife and I awoke to someone pounding. At first, I thought it was next door (or possibly someone who was banging his head off the wall after having experienced check-in). No, it was several workers on the roof, just above our head, tearing off the roof with sledgehammers. What?! Are you kidding me? It was 7 O'Clock in the morning!! The noise was so loud it quite literally shook the walls and the bed! The pounding and yelling and ladders clanging were still ongoing when we left at 11am.

In addition -- When we returned from breakfast, our room was WIDE OPEN with our luggage by the door. One of the workers, without asking and without our knowledge, had opened our door and a window in our room. No one was in the room, but someone was on a ladder right outside our window painting the window trim. My laptop, my digital camera, all our purchases all sitting inches from the door.

This was UNACCEPTABLE. Period.

I never complained to the proprietors about any of this and I'll tell you why: I didn't know who they were! I was never asked how my stay was, I was never even INTRODUCED to them!

They probably didn't feel like hearing anyone complain about it. Well, now they can read about it, if they even care.

• Liked — Room was clean - Food was excellent
  • Disliked — Service was terrible - Proprietors were inconsiderate
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your earplugs and a sick sense of humor
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Touristeur
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Reviewed 23 August 2005

We stayed at the Scotlaur Inn for a night last week, and we were sorry that we couldn't stay longer. The room was wonderful. The family history all over the walls of the Inn and Delly can provide hours of entertainment in itself. The staff was excellent and very friendly (unfortunately we didn't get to meet the legendary Ted). And everything you would want to do in Annapolis (i.e. - tours, restaurants, bars, boat rides, etc.) is only steps away. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank rcleach2
Southern California
Reviewed 11 July 2005

Location is excellent, right on Main street, a short walk up from the harbor. Rooms look great in the pictures, but in reality, are very small. You wouldn't want to spend any time except sleeping time in the room. AC is located right over the bed, and is drafty. It's quite a hike to the 3rd floor, especially with luggage. Included breakfast in the Delly (deli?) on the first floor is adequate, if only diner-quality.

• Stayed July 2005