“Great Place”

O'Callaghan Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This is a very nice Historic Hotel. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Staff very Friendly and willing to help with recommend places of interest or good eats. Nice Bar on the main floor Irish Pub Style of course.
This hotel is also located on the main route for the free trolly that goes down to the waterfront area with a stop infront of the hotel. Graet convienent hotel for Business or pleaseure.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
OCHAnnapGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Annapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Dear DandHDirkse,

Thank you for your review and for your lovely comments about the rooms, staff and pub. We appreciate you taking the time to post these and are also delighted you got to use the free circulator which the CIty of Annapolis has provided, we love the service too!

We hope that you might return to Annapolis to see us again soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 22 March 2013

From the front desk check-in to the restaurant staff, everyone is customer oriented. For a town filled with Irish pubs, The John Barry at the O'Callaghan is not one to miss. I especially applaud the hospitality of Joolz the evening Bar Keep. Bright witted and conversational while right on the spot for the timely pour of whatever pleasure you care to imbibe. Great place for their Happy Hour to meet and socialize with friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Clark B

Thank you so much for your lovely review and for taking the time to share it. I will be sure that Joolz knows how much you enjoyed your time in the John Barry Bar for Happy Hour!

We hope to see you back again soon.

All the very best

Reviewed 20 March 2013

No paper or pen in room. Only 1 wash cloth for double occupancy. Room smelled like mold. Must park valet which is $18 a day. This hotel is average at best but didn't want to rate it poor.ed
Only 2 pillows on king size bed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
OCHAnnapGM, General Manager at O'Callaghan Annapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear Rhonda S,

Thank you for your review and I apologize that you did not have a good experience with us. I will certainly be making sure we have ample supplies in the rooms in future and appreciate you bringing that to our attention.

Our valet only parking is mandated by the city of Annapolis, but there is a public garage across the street, details of that are outlined in our confirmation email and I hope the valet gave you that information on arrival.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Perhaps my expectations were too high; but, this hotel did not meet them. Considering the average room rate at this hotel, I expected nicer accommodations and better service. I will start with the service. It wasn't "bad" service. It just wasn't GREAT service. The problem, it seems, is that there just aren't enough employees. We were promptly greeted by the one person at the check-in desk upon arrival. But, there were many occasions when I passed the desk and no one was there. I only saw a bell person/valet once in 4 days, and we were in and out of the hotel quite a bit! Thankfully, we didn't need help with our luggage or our car! The morning of our check-out, we opted for breakfast in the John Barry Restaurant (hotel restaurant). We both had the buffet. $12 for a choice of scrambled eggs (which were lukewarm), bacon, bagel, croissant, fresh fruit (strawberries and blueberries), granola, vanilla yogurt, and/or dry cereal, with your choice of coffee, oj, or what appeared to be cranberry juice. I found this pricey. When we were ready to leave, there was no employee to be found. I eventually went to the check in desk where I found someone who could cash me out at the restaurant.

Now to the accommodations... The room and other guest areas appeared to be clean. I had a king room. There was only one washcloth in the bathroom and only two bath towels. Despite the signs encouraging guests to be green and hang up towels that they plan to reuse, our limited supply of towels was changed out daily. The bathroom was cramped and the shower was dark. I think the dark shower is a result of a burned out bulb in a lamp above the shower, as I could not locate a separate switch for the lamp. The bathroom door would not stay closed, which was annoying, especially as it was cold outside the bathroom! Also, the Sunbeam wall mounted hair dryer died halfway through drying my hair. A replacement dryer was delivered to my room within 20 minutes of my call.

The walls sounded paper thin. Given that we stayed over St. Party's day, the hotel guests were likely a little rowdier than usual. But, we could hear the conversations of those in the room above ours as though they were right in our room. At one point during the stay, I found a set of keys in the elevator. They belonged to the head housekeeper and had what appeared to be a master room key attached to them. They weren't dropped by accident. They were left in the elevator operation lock. This did not give me any kind of comfort that my belongings were safely tucked away in my locked room. (I did bring the keys to the front desk to ensure they weren't misused.)

The bed sheet covering the mattress was not big enough for the bed. It could not be tucked under the mattress to keep it in place, which resulted in laying directly on the mattress after a little bit of tossing and turning. I would have also expected LCD televisions in the rooms, rather than the old picture tubes that are in there. When you watch an HD signal on a non-HD tv, you miss a portion of the picture...

I chose this hotel based on a recommendation and the discounted price I was able to get. In hind sight, I would have happily spent the additional $20/night to stay somewhere else. I likely would not stay here again without knowing that improvements have been made to the overall quality of this hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Amy B,

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for all of the issues you encountered, I am very disappointed in the service we provided you and will be making all of our management team aware of this so we can ensure it does not happen again.

If you have a moment to contact me personally, I would very much appreciate it, I would like to get some additional details about your room and especially about the keys in the elevator, we take this very seriously. My email is lesleyp@ocallaghanhotels.com.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed at this establishment and we are going back again. This hotel is clean and nicely decorated. It is located within walking distance to the heart of Annapolis. My wife and I have decided that whenever we are in Annapolis we will always stay in this hotel. The front desk service was excellent. Jacque was one of the nicest front desk employees we have ever encountered at a hotel. Because of her hospitality she has shown us, we have booked a room to stay here during our Easter vacation.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Joseph R,

Thank you so much for your review and for sharing your very kind comments. I will be sure that Jacque is recognized for this, she is a great member of our team.

I am delighted to hear you are coming back to us over Easter, please send me an email and we will do our best to get you an upgraded room - lesleyp@ocallaghanhotels.com.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the o' Callaghan in Annapolis while joining some boating friends for a winter meeting. We choose this hotel because we could valet park our car for $18/day and walk everywhere we were going. While the rooms were clean, I noticed that the bottom sheet on our king size bed was too short for the bed and there were only 2 bath towels available in the bathroom. When we checked in and out there was only one person on the desk so guests had to wait. Also, when we checked in there was no bellman/valet present so we just parked our car and took the key in to the desk as did 2 other incoming guests. A family who was checking in front of us had to get a cart and load their own luggage. I had checked beforehand about room safes but when we went to use it we could not make it work. We called the desk twice because we had to be somewhere by a certain time and after the second call someone came. I stayed in the room while my husband went on while the batteries were changed. It was quite a procedure as the inside panel had to be unscrewed and removed and then the batteries had to be taped into the proper position. The safe should be checked and batteries replaced on a scheduled basis as should any other lighting or equipment. We did have a late night sweet in the bar and the service was prompt and the sweet was good. Overall I felt that the hotel was being run on a shoestring and needed a facelift.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pbrown_011

Dear pbrown_011,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback on your stay with us and I sincerely apologize that it was not up to par. We do have a valet on duty at all times, there is absolutely no reason that you should have had to park your own car;I will make sure that we address that with our team here.

We do regularly change the batteries in our safes, I apologize that for some reason this one was not working properly and am sorry for the delay and inconvenience that caused you.

If you are travelling to Annapolis again, please contact me personally to make your arrangements so I can ensure your next stay with us is a much better one. My email is lesleyp@ocalaghanhotels.com.

Thank you again for your feedback, it certainly helps us improve.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

What a great Hotel. Came to Annapolis for a Navy College lacrosse game. Rooms are spacious and reasonably priced. Rooms are clean have a refridge. Beds are comfortable and a geat long hot shower was had. It is right at the beginning of town. Easy walk into town and there is a free trolley stop across thae street that will take you into heart of town so once your car is parked no need to use it. Checking in was a breeze and anytime you neede your car it was brought to front of hotel immediately. A special Thank you to Jackie (front desk) for her patience and understanding in a slight booking problem and also for making us feel like we were friends who came to visit. Overall one of the best hotels we stayed in...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear CCT13,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are delighted you chose to stay with us for the Navy Lacrosse game and we hope a little bit of Irish luck went your way!

Thank you for taking the time to mention Jackie, she is a great asset to our team and I know she will be very excited to hear your kind comments.

We very much hope to see you back again before the season is over!