“Affordable Annapolis” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Medford, New Jersey
“Affordable Annapolis”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had won a complimentary night through a charity event and my husband and I decided, in spite of mixed reviews, to tack on one more night. We were glad we did. Most other reviews are accurate - older place, a bit worn, but certainly we did not find it offensive in any way. Room was clean (pillows on the bed awful, though). Hallway on the fourth floor felt warm, but room temperature was very comfortable. The location was a BIG plus - we walked into downtown both nights. We were fortunate to find street parking right across the street for free and did not pay the $20 valet fee. We had no trouble at all with parking. There is a free trolley that will take you into and out of Downtown if you choose - since it was so walkable we didn't use it. Didn't eat at the restaurant since we were interested in checking out what was in town. Compared to other hotels nearby, this is certainly a more affordable alternative.

1 Thank KT0615
Robert R, Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear KT0615,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the kind review. We hope you visit us again in the future.

robert.russell@ocallaghanhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here for a weekend getaway. We typically would have stayed in a moderate priced hotel but this was more of a splurge. It was pretty annoying Valet parking is not included in the room stay but anyways the front desk gentlemen were very kind to us. They checked us in hours early and although we requested a city view we tried the first available room. We ended up switching back to our original plan and waiting for the city view room. The front desk was gracious enough to hold our luggage as we explored. They than called us when our room was ready. All staff interactions were very pleasant. It seemed as if the valet helped the front desk and the front desk helped the bar but it worked. The room itself was decent. Nothing to scream about. It was comfortable. It was def. worn but thats not something that bothers us. I find it funny when people take pictures of stains on the carpet. This is an older, slightly worn hotel. Its gonna happen. The bar and resturant were great. A recomendation and breakfast reservation was made for us at Miss Shirleys. Best advice from a great staff member named Jaquelin. Perfect location. Great free trolley. We'd stay again but want to try the Maryland INN next time.

Room Tip: If you dont request a city view you will be looking at a parking lot.
Dear Niki R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments about our staff and teamwork. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Jacque about her service. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I picked this hotel because of location, price and ranking. I did notice that there were mixed reviews so I was a bit hesitant. Positives are the bar and restaurant on site, location was convenient and the room was a nice size. Beyond that I did not find much to like. The mattresses were too hard, the carpeting was old and stained and the whole room was in need of updates. It was clean but because of the stained carpet it did not feel clean enough for me to be comfortable. Next time I will spend a little more money and stay at the Westin up the street.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor but heard too much noise on the roof.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank platooo2002
Robert R, Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear platooo2002,

Thank you for your review. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated. We will work to correct the issues you pointed out. We are looking forward to our refurbishment that will be happening at the end of the year. We hope that after this is done you give us a second chance.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This was a quick overnight getaway for us to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We had a great time anyway in Annapolis but to say that I was disappointed in our room and the service from this hotel would be a great masterpiece of understatement.
First impression, we pull into the valet area. There is no one to be found, so we set out unloading our bags. Finally a young man shows up and squares that away. The person at the front desk while not rude was far from inviting. We get to our room, and it's pretty basic. No big deal. We booked the king room with balcony.
Drawers were broken and askew in dressers. Kind of odd at that price point but whatever I don't use them anyway. Go into the bathroom... ummm yeah, I now won't be showering as there are stray what look like pubic hairs in the tub (I have pictures) seriously gross!
We went out and had a good time, sadly I never slept all night. Thanks to the fridge that made a big bang noise about every half hour to 40 minutes when it's blower motor shut off. To top it off the bed was the most uncomfortable thing that I have ever attempted to sleep on in my life. Btw, yes I thoroughly inspected the bed after seeing the tub because I was so skeeved out.I have spent half this amount on hotels that far exceeded expectations. Save your money and book somewhere else...Or pop on the price for Marriott. Trust me, you'll be happier. Annapolis is a wonderful getaway, but I can't say I'd ever recommend staying at this place especially with a final price tag of 263 bucks. No thanks.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hbc76
Dear hbc76,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the review of the hotel. We appreciate you letting us know our short falls and where improvement is needed. We will work to correct these items immediately. We plan to refurbish our facility very soon. Should you wish to discuss your stay any further, please contact me directly. I do apologize for the inordinate amount of condition items you pointed out. Please accept my apologies for your inconvenience.

Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Purchased an overnight on travelzoo. Wonderful getaway. Since it was an Irish hotel, I expected small but it wasn't , pleasantly surprised. The parking valet was extremely nice. Our room was ready, very spacious with a large comfy bed. Unfortunately, it was a good walk from the waterfront but there was a free trolly right outside our door. Jackie was pretty incredible. On a Sunday, she ran the front desk, bartended and even found time to call the Milton Tavern for us to make sure a table was ready for us on our arrival. Breakfast was eggs Benedict over crab cakes. How Maryland is that!! We will definitely be back and next time bring our friends. Thank you to the owner in Dublin for having a bit of Ireland right in our own back yard.

Dear shg48,

The staff and I would like to thank you for the great review. I will be sure to pass your comments about Jackie on to her. She truly is a service star for us. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Had a great experience at the O'Callaghan! Arrived for the First Sunday Street Festival which was just down the street from the hotel. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a free trolley you can catch in front of the hotel which made getting around extremely easy and convenient. We took a bus tour of Annapolis (worthwhile) on the first day from the Visitors Center and then spent the entire second day touring the Naval Academy. The downtown area is on the water and full of life! We ate at Armadillos which offered something for everyone.

The O'Callaghan was our home base for three days and we were happy to stay there. Our room was clean and available for check-in as soon as we arrived. We were given two queen beds as requested and the free Wi-Fi worked well. The housekeeping staff honored our request for changing the towels but not the sheets. The air conditioning kept a constant cool temperature and the beds were comfortable. We had a few extras included in our Travelzoo offer so had it not been for them, we would not have found the O'Callaghan. We would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Be F
Dear Be F,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. We will be sure to pass your comments on to our staff. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Annapolis.

Bear, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We arrived July 3rd and requested a king size bed. we got 2 queen beds. We didn't leave the room unit 1230pm on the 4th and left the tag for a cleaning service and returned to the room with No cleaning service at all. Beds not made. No clean towels etc. We left for dinner at 5pm and went to the restaurant in the hotel. The waitress was also the bar tender and the only one serving everyone. She was gracious and apologetic to everyone - however - with the parade outside of the hotel to begin in an hour people were flocking in the the 1/2 price happy hour foods and drinks. No bar b que shrimp or chicken wings were available. We stayed here last July 4th and it was awesome !! It was the main resin we returned again. I may not come back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Robert R, Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear MaryGrace61,

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience we caused you doing your stay. We thank you for taking the time to let us know where we need to improve. If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me.