“Great sushi variety!”

Sakura Cafe
Ranked #225 of 356 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Thai
Reviewed 19 April 2013

They were running a Groupon $49 for $100 worth of sushi, so I gave it try. I'm always interested in trying out new sushi places. The $49 for $100 was only good for a party of 4, but I did confirm in advance that 2 of those 4 could be children. I was particularly interested in having sushi for the adults and hibachi for the children. The location is a tiny hole-in-the-wall in downtown Annapolis. It was pretty quiet on a Wednesday evening. I was disappointed to discover that although the menu offered hibachi meals, we did not have the option of having food cooked tableside. That was a disappointment, as that is a best part of a hibachi meal, especially for children. The hibachi dinners, however, were ample and tasty. The sushi more than made up for our disappointment over the hibachi. I found their sushi selection to be quite extensive. Lots of unique and varied rolls. The prices of their standard rolls were in line with other sushi joints. The sushi was very, very good. The service was attentive; out beverages were replenished without having to ask.

If you're looking for hibachi or sushi in downtown Annapolis, I'd say give it a shot.

There are newer reviews for Sakura Cafe

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I walked into the cafe at 1130 for lunch. I was greeted by Steve who was on his cell phone conducting marketing and sales business. He asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted to have lunch and asked if it was ok with him. He said yes. No other diners were in the cafe. I placed my order with Steve (marketing and sales). He asked me twice what I wanted. I told him twice I wanted the sushi/sashimi lunch special with unsweetened iced tea. Well...I got sweetened tea. He apologized. Then I got a sashimi special. Clearly Steve should not be waiting on customers. I got plenty of apologies but that's it. I decided to take my order and go. This was probably the worst customer service experience I've had in my 14 years living in Annapolis. I will return to Joss'. I was also told that I came at a bad time. What??????????? Very disappointed.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

The sushi here is just as good at Nano or Joss, but at a fraction of the price. It's cozy and authentic. They also love midshipmen (10% off for coming in uniform).

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Sakura is not pretentious and they do a nice job catering to a more broad clientele than Joss or Nano's. They have sushi, hibachi syle meals, and they try do to some Thai as well. They should drop the Thai dishes because they are quite bad, but the sushi and Japanese items are decent. Nothing memorable, but they are solidly done by non-Japanese owners. What I like best about this place is that we can usually get a seat, the people are very friendly, unpretentious, and eager to please. The prices are not exorbitant and the Japanese items are always steady.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Don't let the drab exterior fool you - this is a great Asian restaurant in Annapolis. Menu has many options with a variety of Asian cuisines. The place is very small though and seemed a bit crowded. The food was superb – I had the General TSO’s Chicken and the wife ordered Sushi, both dishes were terrific. Service is well above average.

1  Thank Hasfq