“First time for Sushi” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Gig Harbor, Washington
“First time for Sushi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is one of the restaurants that was recommended by locals. I enjoyed the sushi I tried, Fire Cracker Roll and the delicious, our 2 year old grand daughter loved them. We tried others and I liked them all. Some had a mix of Tempura and were very good. I will visit here again.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank stephroeder

Poughkeepsie, New York
“meh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

After a long day of sailing up the Chesapeake, we were thrilled to dock in Annapolis. We saw many places to eat that night, but 2 of the people with us wanted something a little less expensive and we came across Sakura Cafe. It's a small dining area but that is fine, some of the best food I've had has come from little 'holes in the wall' so we figured we'd give it a shot.
It seemed like all of the servers/buss boys were nervous or awkward, or maybe they were all new? Who knows....
We had hardly sat down when the waiter asked what we would like to drink, which I guess is pretty standard, but when we were trying to quickly look at the menu to see what kind of drinks they had, he asked 2 or 3 more times what we would like...it was a little busy in there so I suppose he was just in a rush...?
After we had all ordered our meals, the waiter asked us if anyone wanted to start with a salad, and my boyfriend asked how much a house salad was (they had already collected the menus) and the response was "oh..um...just a couple bucks.." Ok, great, a small house salad would be nice..... I ordered a simple chicken wrap, with no onions but a little extra cheese please... "sure no problem!" was the response....
Our food came out in a reasonable amount of time, the salads were tiny and had a very strange peanuty dressing instead of the standard ginger dressing. My wrap came and hardly had any cheese, but i wasn't overly concerned about it, it didn't seem worth sending it back for that reason. it was mediocre at best anyway. The real issue that I had with this place was when the check came.. The salad that was "just a couple bucks" was NINE DOLLARS....for a tiny (seriously tiny) handful of iceburg lettuce and some not so great dressing? And my wrap was 3 dollars more than it was listed on the menu!!! The waiter adjusted the price of the salad to 2.95 (still not a couple bucks by the way!) but didn't change my sandwich price....and when i asked why he said "that charge is for the extra cheese"....oh you mean the cheese that wasn't even on it to begin with? (there wasn't even the cheese that SHOULD have been on it according to the menu). Oh well...we paid....left less tip than we usually would..I hate doing that but I didn't feel like he had earned it this time. The food wasn't awful, but it wasn't good either. If we ever get the opportunity to visit Annapolis again, we will definitely be trying another restaurant...I'm sure there are much better places around.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank jessica a
Odenton, MD
“Great sushi variety!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

They were running a Groupon $49 for $100 worth of sushi, so I gave it try. I'm always interested in trying out new sushi places. The $49 for $100 was only good for a party of 4, but I did confirm in advance that 2 of those 4 could be children. I was particularly interested in having sushi for the adults and hibachi for the children. The location is a tiny hole-in-the-wall in downtown Annapolis. It was pretty quiet on a Wednesday evening. I was disappointed to discover that although the menu offered hibachi meals, we did not have the option of having food cooked tableside. That was a disappointment, as that is a best part of a hibachi meal, especially for children. The hibachi dinners, however, were ample and tasty. The sushi more than made up for our disappointment over the hibachi. I found their sushi selection to be quite extensive. Lots of unique and varied rolls. The prices of their standard rolls were in line with other sushi joints. The sushi was very, very good. The service was attentive; out beverages were replenished without having to ask.

If you're looking for hibachi or sushi in downtown Annapolis, I'd say give it a shot.

• Visited April 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“Terrible Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I walked into the cafe at 1130 for lunch. I was greeted by Steve who was on his cell phone conducting marketing and sales business. He asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted to have lunch and asked if it was ok with him. He said yes. No other diners were in the cafe. I placed my order with Steve (marketing and sales). He asked me twice what I wanted. I told him twice I wanted the sushi/sashimi lunch special with unsweetened iced tea. Well...I got sweetened tea. He apologized. Then I got a sashimi special. Clearly Steve should not be waiting on customers. I got plenty of apologies but that's it. I decided to take my order and go. This was probably the worst customer service experience I've had in my 14 years living in Annapolis. I will return to Joss'. I was also told that I came at a bad time. What??????????? Very disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Seoul, South Korea
“More sushi for your money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

The sushi here is just as good at Nano or Joss, but at a fraction of the price. It's cozy and authentic. They also love midshipmen (10% off for coming in uniform).

Visited November 2012