“Glad We Made the Visit”

Ranked #11 of 358 Restaurants in Annapolis
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Came in for lunch on a Monday close to their opening time. Good thing as it got pretty filled during our meal. It had been a number of years since our last visit and the track record for high quality food and service and value pricing is intact. We sat in the back by the wine racks and thought that this room was nicer than the front. Large basket of tortilla chips and salsa was brought out to start. As far as food goes, was able to order an appetizer from the dinner menu - sautéed calamari with caramelized onions. And for entree the Cubana Pork (fried goodness) that came with tasty black beans, rice and flour tortillas. loved all of what I tasted from my wife's ceviche and her fish entree. My mom's mussels were also quite good. Was very happy to sop up as much of my calamari sauce as possible with the nice bread brought to the table. Service was very attentive.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Start with the bad, ambiance, there is none. After that everything was terrific. The service could not have been more attentive or helpful and the food was tasty,fresh and and attactive. Dont worry about the small stuff go for the food you' ll like it.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Finally checked this place out when we had a visitor in town and now I understand the raves. Absolutely every dish was first rate. It's not so much Mexican but sort of a Spanish/Mexican fusion. We went on a Sunday night to avoid a wait and the place was still almost full. It is as someone notes below, a hidden gem in a strip mall. The service was also very very good.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Really, it takes a lot to get past the strip mall exterior, but don't be discouraged by its neighbors. Jalapeno's combines old style charm and elegance (where you're greeted warmly by the owner) with delicious Spanish and Mexican dishes. The food is always well prepared and plate-licking good, whether you go with the simple black bean soup, baked whole fish, and oxtail stew or go all out on a variety of tapas. Try the civeche 3 ways, each is amazing, or the Filete de buey con cabrales, or the Piqueno Relleno, or the Gambas con ajillo. The scents, flavors, presentation - all worthy of a destination restaurant in a larger city, and humbly tucked away, here! Also, don't skip the sangria. I'm partial to the red, but both are wonderful! I promise you'll be glad you checked this one out!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had heard a lot about Jalapeños from a couple of my co-workers, and as a fan of Mexican food (authentic and Americanized) I wanted to check them out. Today I finally went and they did not disappoint. The service was great, the presentation was very nice (you'll be surprised when you walk inside considering how worn down the rest of the mini mall looks), and above all else the food was fantastic! I got chicken enchiladas, my friend got chicken fajitas, and we split housemade guacamole. If you love Mexican food as much as me, definitely check Jalapeños out - you won't be disappointed!