“Great appetizers & dessert!”
Review of Middleton Tavern

Middleton Tavern
Ranked #54 of 357 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stopped at the Middleton Tavern before leaving for home recently and decided to share appetizers and dessert since it was between lunch and dinner on a Sunday. We had no wait for the porch since we were only 2 and our hound was allowed if she could fit under the table (she did, barely!) since walking space is so tight. The fried calamari was spectacular with a wonderful chipotle aioli on it and the hot crab dip was excellent as well. Dessert was the banana chocolate chip cake and while it wasn't made in-house, it was one of the best desserts I've ever had, with raw bananas in the filling between layers and just the right amount of sweet lightness. Cost was not bad for seafood right on the waterfront of Annapolis at $38.70 total for apps, drinks (no alcohol), dessert, 6% tax, and 22% tip. Dave was the perfect waiter; knew his menu and didn't hurry us along--but stayed on top of everything even amid the crowded and constant chaos of the porch. Can't speak for inside but I'll return to the Tavern next trip to Annapolis for sure.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

On a crowded Saturday afternoon, they were able to accommodate our family of 5 immediately. Our waiter George was very attentive. I followed his recommendation and got the baked oysters appetizers that we all enjoyed. Again in George's recommendation, I got the steamed mussels for lunch. Some if the best mussels I've ever had. My son had the fish and chips and really liked them. My wife loved her fresh seafood salad, and my picky younger girls found burgers and salads to their liking. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Six of us had dinner here on a Saturday night. Everywhere along the Annapolis dock was buzzing that night. We were lucky to have reservations.
The servers were very friendly and attentive. Our server helped us with a bottle of wine - offering to have me taste before deciding to take the bottle.
The food was very good; with nothing to complain about. One person had shrimp while most of us had crab cakes. They come either fried or broiled. Our server offered to have half of them fried and half broiled, so we could see the difference and decide for ourselves which we prefer. That was just incredibly nice and helpful. Anyway, most like the fried version. I preferred the broiled.
I had ordered the seafood mixed grill. It was excellent.

All in all, this is a place to put on your list of eateries for Annapolis.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our family all ordered the fish and chips. The fish was greasy and definitely not fresh. The fries not great. Sat near the kitchen and got a glimpse of it when the door would open-- absolutely filthy! Such a shame for an old landmark! Obviously just a tourist trap. Lesson learned for our next trip to Annapolis!

1  Thank Beachliferyankee
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This very old establishment has a nice front outdoor dinner area that attracted us for a late lunch. It was a fairly busy day as we were there during Naval Academy graduation week. Took a good while for us to get our meals; my wife remembered it was a bit slow the last time we were there several years ago (I couldn't remember that).

Our food was very good, service was friendly. I would go again but I would probably try a few places around before I did.