“Multiple good visits”

Sam's on the Waterfront
Reserve with OpenTable
Sam's on the Waterfront is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #168 of 356 Restaurants in Annapolis
Price range: US$16 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Edgewood Road
Description: "Well worth the Trip" Is what the Washington Post and many others say about Sam's on the Waterfront. Tucked away in the middle of Chesapeake Harbour Marina, Sam's is a true visual and culinary experience. Built in 1986 & designed after the historic Spider legged Screw pile lighthouses, this uniquely crafted building on the water, provides the most elegant of settings. Make no mistake about it Sam's is dedicated to providing the most fresh, creative dining experience possible. Their New Exec. Chef Chris Cherry (Formerly of the Wild Orchid will tailor your meal to meet any of your special requirements and their staff will make sure that all of your expectations will be met.Sam's has a truly remarkable modern American cuisine w/ regional influences. The menus change seasonally with weekly special. Winner of Wine Spectators & Wine Enthusiast "Award of Excellent" and Zagat's "Best Bet Award" Sam's offers the best live Music every Friday and Saturday Nights. Sam's outside Dock Bar & Cafe open Seasonally.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

While staying in the Marina we ate here multiple times for lunch and dinner. The food has been a lot better then expected and the wait staff very good.
The reason for the 3 instead of 5 is that during a dinner where we had invited family for a quiet dinner where we could talk about important things, the Manager decided to have what appeared to be a Wine tasting and dinner. They sat us right next to them and we could not even think about talking. They were loud, he was making speeches and people were clapping and talking loud.
I wouldn't want to take that opportunity away from the manager or his clients but the lack of consideration of the manager by not having us either seated in a quieter area or warning us before spoiled what was supposed to be a close family dinner.

On the plus side, the little bar outside is fun. The entertainment is always good and the bar staff is sure that you enjoy yourself. A great little area for the locals.

There are newer reviews for Sam's on the Waterfront

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Made reservations for Sam's Waterfront for Easter, they said I need to give a credit card to hold it and if I didn't cancel within 24 hours they would charge $25., I was not able to go and cancelled that morning and when I got my credit card statement they had charged me $50.! I called them and they said it was $25. per person which I was never told but they didn't care so I called my credit card company and stopped payment.

Before I received my credit card statement I did manage to get there, we sat on the outside deck which is extremely narrow only enough room for one table. The view is nothing great, just some boats and apartment buildings. The drinks were terrible and the flatbread appetizer we had was too! I do not recommend this place to anyone and whatever you do don't give them your credit card number!!

3  Thank soosyrado
2020foodie, Owner at Sam's on the Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We like most restaurant do take credit cards only for special holidays and tell every customer our policy when we take their credit card info. It is also listed on Open table . We also provide up to 72 to cancel any reservation without charge.
In terms of not liking your food or drinks I would be happy to fully refund your meal with the proof of a receipt. Not sure why if you had such a bad experience prior to Easter, why you would not let us know or why you would book another reservation for Easter.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Always great ambiance right on the water - we had that evenings special. It turned out to be one of the finest steaks either of us had enjoyed in a long time. Combined with good service it was a delightful early evening. They were setting up for live entertainment as we left. We have heard the entertainment is good but the place obviously wasn't built with that in mind.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I've been to Sam's many times and under several different management regimes and Chef's. The food is always good, and on occasion even can be great. There is a new chef to Sam's, although he's been around Annapolis for quite some time, and most recently at the Wild Orchid. The current dinner presentations are a little dated (yet very tasty) in that it is not the newer school of thought on culinary presentation techniques or portion sizes.

Some key highlights of Sam's ...
- very good to great local musicians play on Friday and Saturday nights
- local's hang at Sam's and almost always out number visitors
- there is a great tiki bar during the warm months - and some transient boat slip are available, so a good dining destination by boat
- the food is good, sometimes great
- the prix fix menu is a good deal if you're looking for multiple courses
- desserts are really good and quite creative

1  Thank Winterstime
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Great setting, decent ambiance, attentive waitress and a chef asleep with the order. Pricey for all combined. Though I will come back.