“Skip this one. . . horrible.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Rockfish
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Severn Ave.
Transit: Water taxi nearby
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
“Skip this one. . . horrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

I dine out around town (Annapolis) quite often, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. I also am a regular with Groupon and Landmark coupons. I purchased a Landmark for Rockfish, as I have wanted to try it and had not been over to Eastport for sometime. I suggested taking a friend there before the certificate ran out, but then decided to go it alone this past Monday. I called for a reservation. Rockfish was quite accomodating. I was greeted at the podium by Sarah and taken to a booth. Decor was nice, yet very different from the previous establishment. Good times there in the past. My waitress was sweet and very attentive. I looked over the menu and thought the entree options were fairly limited. I chose a NY Strip medium rare and a glass of house Merlot. The NY Strip was one of the most expensive entrees on the menu at $35. so my expectations were a bit high. I expected a steak that was prepared perfectly and tender. It arrived. It looked nice. It was plated on a bed of smoked sweet potatoes and topped with a mushroom sauce. both good. When I cut into the NY Strip I noticed right away that it was rare. No, blue, actually. I tasted two bites and decided, it need to be cooked to the med rare temp, for my liking. I noticed when I was chewing it that it was not tender, but i thought it might be beause it was rare. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.
I sent the steak back. It came back med. rare, but still it was chewy and took sawing to cut it. I took another bite, then turned the steak around and cut on another corner, ran into a very large piece of gristle (cartilage). From the Internet dictionary: English-English translation for cartilage in meat, inedible part of meat. Might I repeat, "Inedible".
So, I cut all of the meat off the cartillage piece, and sent the cartilage back on the plate to the chef. (Actually, I requested that the chef come to my table so that I could show him and discuss the cut of meat. I was not looking for a refund, or a free meal). However, when I made the request of my server to see the chef, Sarah (not sure whether she was the hostess or a manager. She did not tell me what her roll was). came to the table, and told me that the chef was too busy, I said that I would wait. She said, he will be busy later too, and that she would spead to him about "my probem". She returned and told me that the chef (Chef John) said that it was just fat and that NY Strip generally has quite a bit of fat running through it. I told her it was not fat.
She got sarcastic and asked me if I wanted my plate back. I said "NO', just give me the bill. There will be negative feedback. Sarah said "fine",and walked away. (Well, Sarah, your wish is my command). The server returned and continued to apologize. I told her it was not her fault. Horrible meal. Horrible handling of the situation. I willl never return there, ever! I see from the other reviews that I am not the only one who was not happy with the entree selection and the NY Strip. There are so many better restaurants with great food, wonderful service, wonderful management in our town of Annapolis. I will return to those establishments, alone and with my friends. I am sooooo glad I did not take my friend along to Rockfish as my guest! Whew!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank warmvanill

Annapolis
“This Rockfish shoulkd not be eaten”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

This Restaurant should be closed for training as to food, service, and care of customers. What restaurant runs out of bread on a Saturday night at 7:00 P.M.? We should have known things
were going to be bad, when the Onion Soup arrived and tasted as though it came from a can.
When bread was promised, it never arrived, as they had none The main courses (Chicken, Linguini, a Crab Cake), all tasted as if the Chef could not care about what he was doing. When we asked to speak to a manager, a person emerged who said she was a floor manager. When we voiced our concerns, her attitude seemed to be that she did not even care what we thought. She did offer a "gift" certificate to come again, not realizing we would never come again. This place has slipped considerably since is original chef unfortunately died. Go fishing elsewhere.

1 Thank GRAnnapolis
Prince Georges County MD
“Skip it....much better close by”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I dined here on a Sunday evening. My first choice, Paul's Homewood Cafe, was having a private event. I had driven past Rockfish several times on my way to other restaurants in Eastport (Carrolls Creek, O'Learys, Ruths Chris) so decided to try it. I should have read the tripadvisor reviews first...I only did after I had ordered my entree. The first indication of trouble was that the place was empty at 6:30pm on a beautiful Sunday in April....literally, only two tables were occupied. Surprisingly, the menu seems to offer more meat dishes that seafood...odd for a restaurant named Rockfish in Annapolis. No bread brought to the table.
I ordered the cream of crab soup. Not bad, but unlike most other restaurants, rather than using jumbo lump crab Rockfish's contains finely shredded claw meat. I ordered the blackened catfish for my entree...only $16 compared to $30 for rockfish. I was not even halfway through my soup when my entree arrived. The catfish was very greasy and did not taste fresh. There was a very off taste, almost chemically, to the remoulade sauce. The cheddar grits were overcooked and gummy.
The only good thing on the plate was the asparagus. Because the kitchen could not pace the order, I was literally in and out of the place in 40 minutes. I won't be back. You can do much better at many other places in Annapolis. Skip Rockfish.

Dunkirk, Maryland
“Horrific treatment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Oh. My. God. Worst experience at the bar ever. Save yourself. There are PLENTY of other, BETTER places to spend your time and money in Annapolis. AVOID THIS HELL HOLE!

Baltimore, Maryland
“Won't go again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

I had a $25 coupon from restaurant.com so thought it might be useful to check it out. I had a crab linguini entree which was big but had no taste except for the tomato sauce - the crab and wild mushroom taste was overwhelmed. My friend's rockfish was fine except for the accompanying something that we couldn't identify.

• Visited February 2013