“sustainable seafood and good service away from the madding crowds”
Review of Rockfish - CLOSED

Rockfish
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Severn Ave.
Transit: Water taxi nearby
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stumbled into the Rockfish for lunch during a very hot, crowded July 4th at Annapolis. And nearly walked out because the restaurant was startlingly empty of other diners.

I'm glad we chose to stay. Our waitress Kat made excellent recommendations for food and beer and they were really nice about a having a toddler running around.

I had a salad and added crab cake (which came up to a steep $22), the husband had the pork chop dinner and the toddler got his own cheese pizza. The food wasn't outstanding but I left with a warm, fuzzy feeling from supporting a clean, green, local restaurant.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Seafood better than average, but the noise level is probably the highest in Annapolis (probably due to the brick walls.) Great location just over the Eastport bridge (in Eastport). Good local musicians on weekends.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

The food here was unbelievable. Had there rockfish. This is one of the best fish dishes I have ever eaten. I would have kissed the chef if I could have. The portions were just right. My husband had the steak and was very happy with his choice. The presentation of the plates were outstanding. The service was excellent. Don't miss this restaurant while your in Annapolis.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I dine out around town (Annapolis) quite often, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. I also am a regular with Groupon and Landmark coupons. I purchased a Landmark for Rockfish, as I have wanted to try it and had not been over to Eastport for sometime. I suggested taking a friend there before the certificate ran out, but then decided to go it alone this past Monday. I called for a reservation. Rockfish was quite accomodating. I was greeted at the podium by Sarah and taken to a booth. Decor was nice, yet very different from the previous establishment. Good times there in the past. My waitress was sweet and very attentive. I looked over the menu and thought the entree options were fairly limited. I chose a NY Strip medium rare and a glass of house Merlot. The NY Strip was one of the most expensive entrees on the menu at $35. so my expectations were a bit high. I expected a steak that was prepared perfectly and tender. It arrived. It looked nice. It was plated on a bed of smoked sweet potatoes and topped with a mushroom sauce. both good. When I cut into the NY Strip I noticed right away that it was rare. No, blue, actually. I tasted two bites and decided, it need to be cooked to the med rare temp, for my liking. I noticed when I was chewing it that it was not tender, but i thought it might be beause it was rare. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.
I sent the steak back. It came back med. rare, but still it was chewy and took sawing to cut it. I took another bite, then turned the steak around and cut on another corner, ran into a very large piece of gristle (cartilage). From the Internet dictionary: English-English translation for cartilage in meat, inedible part of meat. Might I repeat, "Inedible".
So, I cut all of the meat off the cartillage piece, and sent the cartilage back on the plate to the chef. (Actually, I requested that the chef come to my table so that I could show him and discuss the cut of meat. I was not looking for a refund, or a free meal). However, when I made the request of my server to see the chef, Sarah (not sure whether she was the hostess or a manager. She did not tell me what her roll was). came to the table, and told me that the chef was too busy, I said that I would wait. She said, he will be busy later too, and that she would spead to him about "my probem". She returned and told me that the chef (Chef John) said that it was just fat and that NY Strip generally has quite a bit of fat running through it. I told her it was not fat.
She got sarcastic and asked me if I wanted my plate back. I said "NO', just give me the bill. There will be negative feedback. Sarah said "fine",and walked away. (Well, Sarah, your wish is my command). The server returned and continued to apologize. I told her it was not her fault. Horrible meal. Horrible handling of the situation. I willl never return there, ever! I see from the other reviews that I am not the only one who was not happy with the entree selection and the NY Strip. There are so many better restaurants with great food, wonderful service, wonderful management in our town of Annapolis. I will return to those establishments, alone and with my friends. I am sooooo glad I did not take my friend along to Rockfish as my guest! Whew!

3  Thank warmvanill
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This Restaurant should be closed for training as to food, service, and care of customers. What restaurant runs out of bread on a Saturday night at 7:00 P.M.? We should have known things
were going to be bad, when the Onion Soup arrived and tasted as though it came from a can.
When bread was promised, it never arrived, as they had none The main courses (Chicken, Linguini, a Crab Cake), all tasted as if the Chef could not care about what he was doing. When we asked to speak to a manager, a person emerged who said she was a floor manager. When we voiced our concerns, her attitude seemed to be that she did not even care what we thought. She did offer a "gift" certificate to come again, not realizing we would never come again. This place has slipped considerably since is original chef unfortunately died. Go fishing elsewhere.

1  Thank GRAnnapolis