“What makes a good hotel is good people”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I travel a lot for my job. I have become very attuned to the way hotels run their operations and train (and empower) their employees. Steve Merchant who is the General Manager at this property went "above and beyond" during my recent stay and in my opinion embodies what Marriott tries to do, make the customer happy.

I was staying at this property for a semi-extended period of time. I had to fly to Tampa on business so I was going to have to check out of the hotel, then check back in later in the week. The General Manager (Steve) offered to comp me two nights of hotel stay for free while I was gone so I could leave my things in my room and not have to pack up, then unpack when when I got back. I was blown away that he would offer to do this. He said the hotel was not full and he was just trying to take care of his customers. Again, I can not tell you how amazed I was by that offer. Dumbfounded actually ... When you spend as many nights in hotels as I do that was a real gift not to have to pack and unpack everything. If the General Manager has this attitude I guarantee it trickles down to everybody on the staff. I suspect that is why this hotel is so highly rated. If you are coming to Annapolis and you don't want to spend $300+ a night this is a good choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Curt V
Smerch112030, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thank you for your very nice comments, I am glad that we were able to allow you to keep your luggage in the room between your stays with us. I hope you will come back agiain soon.

Steve Merchant

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Maybe I have too high expectations when I read rave reviews especially when I'm spending $170 a night. This hotel is #1 on tripadvisor as of this writing which is surprising.

Hotel was fine. I had a room with 2 queen beds. Very small room. Only one side table between the beds so the person on the other side of either bed has no table and no lamp. The foot of the beds face a wall with nothing on them. Needs a picture or something. For whatever reason, it just made me feel like I was in a Motel 6. The TV is between the "bedroom" portion and the sitting portion. The layout is really lacking, but with the amount of space I guess this is all they can do. Bedding is kind of chintzy too. Pillows very soft.

Breakfast was your typical continental plus scrambled eggs and cold sausage (cold on both days). On Sunday, at one point around 9am there was only decaf coffee... No hot water or regular coffee. I had to ask a very annoyed lady in the kitchen for coffee (the rest of the staff was pleasant).

Like I said if this was a cheaper and rated lower on tripadvisor, I'd expect these issues.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Smerch112030, Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and apolgize for the the shortcomings that you encountered at the hotel. I do hope you will give us another oppotunity to accommodate you the next time you are in the Annapolis area.

Steven Merchant

Reviewed 7 May 2013

The room was clean and comfortable, the free breakfast was a nice plus. It is a short easy drive to Annapolis and the City Dock area and it's many sites. The staff was very helpful and polite. I lost my video camera somewhere in the hotel and the maid found it and mailed it back to me, very rare honesty in this day and age.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 64kel
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Great Breakfast, Clean Room and friendly. Spa was good and HOT. Only note was pool hours during the week don't start until 5pm. We had room 116 and it was very quiet and clean. Loved the way we were treated. All places should treat guess as nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank JamaicaSmile
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I was very pleased with our stay in this hotel. The beds were comfy, the rooms and bathrooms were clean, and everyone was so helpful and friendly!

In contrast to another SpringHill Suites we stayed at recently, I can't say enough good things about the Annapolis one.

Breakfast - Not only did they have a plentiful amount of food (hot and cold), no matter what the time of the morning, there were plenty of healthy choices. The coffee was delicious and not watery. There was a good amount of seating and the area was kept clean, despite the heavy people traffic.

In the pool area, we were a bit surprised at first that a life guard had to be present (hence the reduced hours), but it really worked out for us. The gentleman was friendly and helpful, and was kind enough to offer our young son not only goggles, but a life jacket to wear so it would be easier for him to practice his swimming technique.

The hotel's location is incredibly convenient to downtown Annapolis. There are any number of restaurants/eateries within a 5-10 minute drive, and all of the attractions are within about 15 minutes.

We WILL be coming back to this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MeinMD526
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

We got a room next to the elevator but it was still surprisingly quiet and there wasn't a bunch of traffic noise outside. They had a lot of pillows too. The room was very clean. The staff was nice. The beds were comfortable and well made. The breakfast was acceptable. The sink was outside of the bathroom which worked well for us since someone could take a shower while someone else could use the sink. And there was a good fan in the bathroom. A feew small issues...the bathroom door was difficult to shut because it rubbed on the bottom. The pullout sofa was uncomfortable for my teenage daughter. We've stayed at several hotels in Annapolis and this is the best one so far.

• Stayed: April 2013
Smerch112030, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

I am pleased that your stay with us was a good one and I hope you will come back again soon.

Steve Merchant

Reviewed 27 April 2013

All SpringHill Suites are new to Marriott so you always know your going to get a nice, new hotel. The hotel is about a 10 minute drive to downtown Annapolis and conveniently located by the highway. There is a shopping center about 1/2 mile away also. The hotel offers free breaksfast which was a little chaotic at 9am on a weekend but its free and decent. Annapolis downtown area is fun walk with lots of neat little shops and a lot of candy / ice cream shops. Had some great oysters and beer at Middleton Tavern and a fantastic dinner at the Chart House - great view of the harbor. All in all, Annapolis is a fun stop if your going to D.C. or Baltimore but I think you would run out of things to do if you wanted to spend a whole weekend there

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple