“Should have gone here first”
Review of Dry 85

Dry 85
Ranked #15 of 357 Restaurants in Annapolis
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours
Description: A modern industrial take on a Prohibition- era speakeasy. A place where you would sneak a bourbon, craft beer and gourmet comfort food meal if Prohibition were still the law of the land today.
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went out for dinner in Annapolis and were going to come to dry 85 for drinks and dessert. We should have come here for the whole night. The menus were adorable files like from the dea or atf. The decor made me feel like I was in the prohibition era. We were so in the spirit of the restaurant, that we went home to watch a movie from the time period. Lol! I am not a whiskey or bourbon drinker so I chose a glass of wine. The mixed drinks looked good too. My husband enjoyed himself perusing the liquor menu. It had more pages than the food menu. I ordered dessert, the black bottom cheesecake...fantastic! We were going to share, but I liked mine too much. My husband ordered his own. We had a fabulous evening and can't wait to return.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Four of us stopped in for a drink before a play. We sat the great bar and enjoyed pricey but yummy cocktails. The food going by us looked beautiful. We can't wait to come back to test it out. Bartenders were friendly and knowledgeable.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I went on a date night to Dry 85 since we love bourbon and were very pleased with the food (pork ossobuco and ribs) and our hand made drinks. We ate every bite and drank every drop. The service was very efficient and the atmosphere is cool. Since it was our first time we learned a lot about the kinds of friends/family we would bring back with us. It is truly a bar atmosphere, so despite best attempts to create coziness, be prepared for a loud environment, which may make it tough to hear those at the table with you (don't bring grandma, unless it is for lunch, or bacon brunch). There are also very few tables in general, which meant that we waited about 45 minutes for a table for 2 on a Friday night during peak time. Since it was so full, it was hard for us to find a place to stand where we weren't in someone's way until our table was ready. The wait staffed really worked their stuff, weaving through the throngs of people to serve delicious, piping hot food to patrons. I still think this is a good place for couples, but wouldn't take the family on a Friday night. I am looking forward to trying to Bacon Brunch on a Sunday, and am already planning to return this Friday with friends. I do very much wish they took reservations of some kind! Their website suggests calling to give them a heads up about a party of 6 or more, but I can't imagine trying to wait on a table in the space with a group of that size. Oh, I also bought a t-shirt, which they have on display in frames towards the back. It is seriously the most comfortable shirt and I love wearing it. Only thing to keep in mind is to allow maybe 15 min for them to bring one too you since they seem to be on another floor of the building, so just don't do what I did and wait for the very end of the meal to ask!

1  Thank Lauren G
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We recently visited Dry 85 whilst on a trip to Maryland from the UK. Given none of the guys we know locally had been, and there's a lack of information on the likes of TripAdvisor, we made our choice based on an interesting looking menu and phenomenal drinks selection. It turns out we made the right choice!

The food was excellent, with a decent spread of burgers/sandwiches and some larger plates (ribs, I think there was shrimp/grits and a few others). We had a pretty tough time deciding what to order (the deep fried oyster po' boy sounded immense), but settled on the Dry 85 burger (beef patty, pulled pork, bacon and slaw) and the ribs with blueberry sauce. Both were delicious (the ribs got the approval of a Texan in our group), and the fries decent too. To wash it down, we went for a couple of local-ish craft beers, followed by the whisky flight tasting racks. The latter were really good, offering some interesting ryes, single malts and bourbons in smaller 2/3 oz measures.

As the previous reviewer mentioned, it isn't the biggest bar and therefore might not be great for larger groups, but we took six in there at peak time with no problem at all.

I'd whole-heartedly recommend trying Dry 85 out - as someone who isn't local, I've seen (and accidentally sampled) some of the tourist traps nearby on Main St, but Dry 85 can be added to the list of great places nearby such as Red Red Wine, Dock St, Level and Chick 'n Ruth's.

2  Thank John H
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Not the best place for a large group. Had a group of 8 for brunch and had a relatively unfriendly waitress. When the food came we were missing a few things- other staff stopped by and was apologetic and comped one of the meals. My husband has been before and had a terrific waiter so I guess we had bad luck today. The food was pretty good- everything has bacon in it.
THE BIGGEST CON is that they will only allow 2 credit cards when paying the bill- we had 4 couples and wanted to split into 4 and they would not do it. Last time my husband was there he went with a group of guys and 2 people paid for the bill while the others had to go to an atm to pay cash to the 2 people who paid the entire bill. Terrible policy as it forces you to spend lots of time paying and trying to figure out the check.

FYI they don't take reservations