Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Annapolis(Annapolis)(Great Value!)
US$96
HIExpress.com
US$111
Country Inn
Very Good 4/5
Loews Annapolis Hotel(Annapolis)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$200
Loews Hotels
US$128
Doubletree.com
Very Good 4/5
Courtyard by Marriott Annapolis(Annapolis)(Great Value!)
Courtyard
Very Good 4/5
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis(Annapolis)(Great Value!)
Great 4.5/5
Historic Inns of Annapolis(Annapolis)(Great Value!)
US$191
Very Good 4/5
Hampton Inn & Suites Annapolis(Annapolis)(Great Value!)
Westin Annapolis(Annapolis)(Great Value!)
US$234
US$215
  • Pool
US$314
US$293
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfront deskroom was cleandowntown annapoliswould stay here againnice stayconvenient locationvery nice hotelking bedminute drivefree breakfastcookiesnaval academyhgilobbycvskellymicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed at this property for two nights in December 2013 while in the area for a sporting event. I was sold two rooms; a king at a government employee rate of $83/night and a double queen bedded room for 30,000 HHonors points/night.

The property is located in a commercial area adjacent to Route 50. GPS routing to the site was accurate. Numerous local shopping and restaurant venues are immediately adjacent and a more upscale venue was but a few blocks away.

The exterior of the property was found to be clean, neat and well lit. Given our initial late arrival hour, this was appreciated. Parking was more than adequate for the property size.

The lobby area is spacious and although empty at my arrival, I'm confident it could easily accommodate large groups arriving simultaneously. The desk employee (Sean) was found to be polite, professional and made check-in a breeze. I was recognized for my HHonors standing, which from my experience is a rarity.

This is a large property and throughout, interior hallways were found to be clean, neat, well lit but in obvious need of attention to detail and repair. Throughout the hallways it was noted that the bottom of the doors and door facings were chipped and scraped after years of use and little to no painting or repair. To frequent travelers, this stuff matters. My thoughts are that if management doesn't do upkeep on the things I can see as a guest, what goes on where I can't see. Elevator service was prompt and the cabs were very clean and were in good repair.

The accommodations were found to be typical for the brand and price point. All electrical devices worked as advertised, wi-fi service was speedy and charging points for "gadgets" were plentiful. In the bath, water pressure was strong although the wait for hot water was much longer than expected. The room was exceedingly quiet.

Breakfast service fell well below my expectations for the brand. Frankly, I have never quite understood the Hilton Garden Inn philosophy on breakfast. As a upscale, mid-price brand they seemingly want to "upscale" breakfast as well. Regrettably, that isn't what is delivered. The buffet items are identical to that which I can receive at a Hampton Inn. The omelets, eggs and french toast are made to order. The charge for the breakfast at the Hilton Garden Inn is $10.95. The price at the Hampton Inn is included with the room. It makes zero sense to me. Basically, excepting a meal served on glass plates instead of plastic the $10.95 is a non-starter if the guest chooses to forego the omelets, eggs or french toast. I simply do not see the value in it.

At this property specifically, the breakfast experience was forgettable. The space was too small for the crowd, the area was grossly understaffed and the staff were not working together to meet the needs of the guests. On the first morning I found one "server" and one cook. The server was polite but terribly stressed. On morning two it appeared as if the cavalry had arrived in the form of a housekeeper who bussed tables while the "server" tried to meet the needs of a room full of guests clamoring for the breakfast. Frankly, I felt bad for him and for the failure of management to anticipate this "people load" during a regional football bowl game. At best, sloppy management and both the staff and guests suffered for it.

Another challenge occurred on the second evening of my stay. I needed to check on my account with the front desk. The young lady on-duty (cannot recall name - this occurred on the evening of 12-27-13) was obviously on a personal telephone call when I walked up. The person on the other end was in the middle of a long winded diatribe and eventually the staff member interrupted him/her by stating, "Someone is here, I'll call you back." Call you back? While at work? In the most visible customer service point in the hotel? What about calling back after work? Inexcusable, and again, representative to guests of a glaring lack of management attention to detail, staff training and most importantly, continuous monitoring of the staff's delivery of the total customer service experience.

On departure I found that Sean was back on-duty. He gets it. He was most polite, thanked me for my business and welcomed me back.

I don't know that I'll be back in Annapolis, but if that were the case, I would think long and hard before I would book a reservation here. Management and attention to detail is suspect. On the surface, the property looks OK - based on my extensive business travel experience, below the surface I'll bet that this place has some real challenges, and the staff and management knows it.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you very much for your review and for for staying with us during your visit to Annapolis. Please allow me to apologize for our lack of staffing during breakfast. This being the first year of the Military Bowl being here in Annapolis, we were not sure of how many guests we were going to have staying with us. Up until the night before the game we had hardly any reservations so we staffed accordingly. This turned out to be a poor decision and one we will not make again as the majority of that nights reservations came the night before. In regards to the front desk associate being on a personal call, I am very grateful you brought this to our attention. That is unnacceptable and every one on our staff knows this. This will be addressed and I am sorry you had to witness that. We always strive to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel and the only way we will ever achieve this is by receiving feedback from loyal travelers like yourself. Thank you again for your review and have a happy and safe new year.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Staff was professional, friendly, and outstanding service. Great location to all of Annapolis area amenities. Shopping, food, medical. 30 minutes to DC and Baltimore. Hotel was very clean and had all modern amenities and services. Room rates are reasonable by comparison to other area hotels. The complimentary internet in room service is the best I have used. Free coffee and soft drinks in the lobby, plus a daily free newspaper are a nice touch. The maid staff was very nice and helpful. Provided me with extra towels and blankets upon my request. Rooms and bathrooms extremely clean. Refrigerator, microwaves, coffee and tea available free in all rooms. Great modern TV and blu ray disk player in all rooms. Stayed prior to Xmas. The front desk staff even wrapped my gifts as a complimentary service, just to be extra nice during the holiday. Much appreciated that extra touch. Will recommend this hotel to family, friends and business associates in the future. Was so much happy with the Hilton experience that I signed up for your rewards program. I have stayed at this hotel in the past and will stay again in the future. Thank you for a job well done.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is one of the friendliest and most welcoming hotels I have ever stayed at. The staff was truly interested in making our stay the best ever. We were there to celebrate our same sex marriage and nobody was less than congratulatory, open-minded, supportive and helpful. The champagne and chocolate strawberries sent by the manager were a perfect trouch, especially since we had not family in attendance. I have never felt more comfortable while away from home. Our thanks to everyone who works there!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I checked in the hotel, immediately, I was greeted by Shaun Flaherty, he was a nice gentleman, sharply dressed, we're both from Hilton property so we know what goes upon check in or check out so I expect him to do the same and which he did, excellent. On the last night I stayed in, I waited for pizza on the lobby for round about 1 hour long, I thought it was ridiculous, however, April kept me company as we chat on and on. However, while we chat, April did not neglect any other guests that was in the lobby as well, she helped people when they needed help, ice machine for example, which is a great service. Tina and Todd was great servers as well, especially Todd, while my fiance and I ate in the restaurant, he was nice and sweet, smile on his face shows that he loves working there, he reminds me of someone that works in the restaurant at my property. We talked about sports and yet, he's not neglecting any other guests, which is very important. Todd says that he doesn't forget faces, I'll expect him to remember me next time I come visit. However, overall, it was a really excellent experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We suggested this hotel to our family and friend for our daughters recent wedding. Breanne was helpful in setting up an easy to use website for our guests. The staff was super! Our family greatly appreciated the dedication and helpfulness that the staff offered. They particularly loved the the lobby and enjoyed sitting by the fireplace in the living room style comfy couches every evening before retiring to their rooms. They reported that breakfast was delicious! The coffee, tea, and hotchocolate was a plus. And you can't go wrong with free and plentiful parking. No one wants to pay for wifi and valet parking! We would recommend highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family