“wow - love this hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I like many, read reviews about hotels prior to booking. The Hilton Garden inn Annapolis has mixed reviews, like many hotels, some good, some bad. Our experience this weekend SOLD me on this hotel. We had booked a room for Friday night only. When we arrived we were greeted by Carrisa. Bubbly , friendly young lady. The hotel was very busy but Carrisa took the time to explain pool hours, breakfast hours and even asked if we needed any directions or a map. It was very nice to not be treated like just another number.
The room was super clean and perfect for what we needed. I had brought my young son for a lacrosse tournament and he loved the swimming pool. The hotel even has a Lifeguard.
Breakfast was Great, again the staff were really friendly. The cost is a little high, $10.95 per adult but the food was tasty and hot.
We enjoyed the hotel so much that i ended up canceling my room at the Doubletree for the Saturday night and extending my room at the HIlton Garden Inn.
To summarize, Great Hotel, Clean room, Great Pool and Super Friendly Staff. When in Annapolis again, this is my hotel of choice.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank neverhome31

Reviewed 17 May 2010

While going to Annapolis for a funeral, I searched many websites for information on motels.

I saw the high number of positive reports for this location and made a reservation. Since I am both a Hilton Honors and AAA member, I received additional discounts for the room.

The location is somewhat away from the tight quarters of Annapolis Center but, it is close enough to be convenient.

The room and bed were quite comfortable. The staff was terrific. Everyday, when I left a thank you note along with my gratuity, I got a nice greeting back from Val or Tina, the housekeepers.

When, due to difficult circumstances, I had to extend my stay, Dawn took care of it right away. Further, when I had to change rooms because my daughter was to join me, she made those changes in a very gracious manner.

I do wish they had a complimentary breakfast included, as do other Hilton locations, including the Prince Kuhio in Honolulu. But that wasn't a major issue.

Overall, my stay at the Garden was very good considering the reason I was in Annapolis.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I had seen the reviews of this property, and was a little concerned, but booked a room for myself and my sister anyway. First I was able to check in a night early, no problem! The room, while a non-smoking room, as I entered was hit by the smell of cigarette smoke! I called down to the front desk to re-affirm that this was indeed a non-smoking room and was assured that it was, and unfortunately there were no other rooms available. They sent someone up with some air/fabric freshener that actually did a good job, and didn't seem to be a problem for the next few nights! I noticed that the smell was more noticeable near the heating/cooling unit, so it may have been some ventilation/circulation issues. The next morning, housekeeping tapped on the door about 8:20 in the morning. I thought this was a little early, and asked them to come back, but when we returned to the room later that afternoon, around 3pm it still had not been made up. The housekeeper was at the room next door, and got to our rooom right away. No other problems there, and she wrote a nice note each morning. Otherwise the room was great, comfortable beds, clean and well furnished. Desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the continental breakfast in the morning was fine--the typical thing you find.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I am truly not hard to please regarding hotel service, I feel on travel that I'm more interested in the area than the hotel. Unfortunately, no stars is not an option - but this hotel does not deserve a single star. I felt compelled to write to Hilton regarding my recent experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis. I had booked the room well in advance, and it was part of a reserved block of rooms for a friend's wedding.

We confirmed our reservation and arrival time a few hours before arriving at the hotel a little before 5:00 PM where we planned to dress for the wedding. The wedding party had coordinated a shuttle in coordination with the hotel to leave the hotel at 5:30 PM to transport guests to the Chesapeake Beach Bay Club. When we arrived, it was incredibly difficult to identify Hilton employees. There were people behind the front counter dressed in casual clothes without name tags. Finally, someone noticed that we were standing at the counter and stared at us expecting us to begin the exchange. I explained that I had a reservation for the evening and would like to check in. We were told that there were no rooms available at that time, the cleaning crew was still working on cleaning them. This was at 5:00 PM. This seemed absurd to me, especially when it was known that a shuttle was leaving at 5:30 and the room was booked through the block reserved for the wedding.

I explained our situation to the front desk representative, and she offered us a conference room to change in while we waited for our room to be cleaned. In order to ensure that we could board the shuttle on time, we had no other choice but to accept the offer. We lugged our suitcases into the conference room and began dressing for the wedding. That's right, we changed in the conference room. In the midst of our changing, we were informed that our room was ready and that we could finish dressing in the room. Half dressed for the wedding, we repacked our suitcases and lugged them to our room where the cleaning crew was still vacuuming the floor. We waited in the hallway for a few minutes and entered the room at 5:25. 5 minutes to spare before the shuttle arrived.

I had reserved a room with 2 beds so that our son would have his own bed. This room had one king size bed. When I asked for another room, I was told that this was the only room available. I asked for a cot and was told that every single cot in the hotel was taken. I asked for a blanket and pillow and was told that there were no blankets or pillows available. No cot, no blanket, no pillow. I was given a pile of sheets and told to make do. I had to take a look around the lobby to remind myself that it was Hilton hotel I was in. I never could have even imagined this scenario when I made the reservation months before the wedding.
Although I am not particular about receiving extraordinary service, the service at the Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis was deplorable. The staff did not even seem to understand how appalling our experience was and did nothing to compensate for the situation. I wrote to the Hilton Hotels corporate office explaining the situation, and received a standard "thank you" email in return with not follow up. Avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank EasytoPlease17
Reviewed 26 January 2010

This is a long review, as I’m a professional consumer advocate and only write thorough reviews. I subscribe to the idea that the more information one has about something, the more informed choices one can make. If you are looking for surface impressions, skip my review.
My check-in at 9 pm, on a Thursday night, went smoothly.
The lobby is cozy with a gas fireplace and stylish, comfortable seating, as well as a large TV. The dining and bar areas are small and adjacent to the lobby, so little privacy, but several small TVs are there and newspapers too. I also noticed pamphlets for the area attractions in the lobby too. I wasn't aware there was a bar until I arrived. Coffee, tea and hot cocoa are available 24 hours a day in the lobby. And I guess cookies are there too at some point, but I came and went early and late so never saw any.
All the staff were quite congenial. Kudos for that. I prefer kind people who smile and remember you by name.
I had prepaid for a 3 night, long weekend, stay which included breakfast and a king bed. If the bed was a "Sleep Number" bed, I was not told about it at the desk, nor did I see any controls for it, or instructions in the room about it, and I was never asked about it later either by anyone. Upon reading of the room amenities again today, I don't believe this hotel offers them.
In my room (# 404) was a note welcoming me, along with a bottle of Coke and a bag of pretzels, neither of which I partook of as I eat organic foods and I don't drink soda. Still, it was nice to be acknowledged.
From my previous hotel experiences, and my knowledge of the poor sanitizing techniques used by hotel cleaning staff, I always carry and use antibacterial wipes to clean the phone(s), TV and other audio and video equipment remotes, light switches, door knobs, the glasses and coffee mugs, if they are glass and or ceramic, the clock, the thermostat, etc., upon first arrival. I did this. I always bring, or buy locally, a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide for various reason, including sanitizing my toothbrush and the drinking glasses before I use them. One never knows what the maids are doing to one's personal items. I also carry a portable blacklight. Blacklights are what crime scene investigators use to find protein-based, bodily fluid stains. They are also very handy for travelers for the same purpose.
I thoroughly inspect my rooms before choosing to stay in them. First, I use my eyes, nose and then my portable blacklight.
The furnishings were all in good condition, no broken, chipped or badly scratched items. The only thing I noticed was the side table next to the lounge chair had a large unstained blemish on the side of it. As it was under the varnish, it obviously came this way. Still, you'd think the maid would turn the table to hide this. With my naked eyes, my room appeared fairly clean; though I did find dead flies in the window track, a thick layer of dust on back of the TV, and dust on the bottom section of the floor lamp behind the lounge chair. But, the carpet appeared well vacuumed, even in the closet corners and behind the curtain. I forgot to check behind the lounge chair.
Next, I removed the bedding and inspected it with my naked eyes for bed bugs and stains, along with the mattress (both top and underside). I found none. Using my blacklight though, I did find one small stain on the top of the duvet. When I flipped on the room lights again, I could not see that stain; so, whatever it had been, it wasn't obviously visible anymore. I concluded the duvet had been washed since the stain first appeared, and since it was on the side of the bed I wasn't going to be sleeping on, I didn't much care. But, I did make a note of it.
I then took the blacklight and scanned the other furniture, walls, and the carpet. This is where I found a variety of problems. The lounge chair had stains, as did the carpet around it and the side table next to the chair. There were also large stains on the carpet between the bathroom and closet doors, as well as closer to the mini-fridge. With the room lights on, these were not visible and I could not smell any odor, but with the blacklight, these stains appeared as though someone had either urinated on the floor, vomited, or spilled food. Again, I made notes.
I then went downstairs and spoke to the front desk woman (Karyssa) about these. She gave me other rooms to check out, but none were any better than the first one, and in fact they were all worse. When I checked in, she said the hotel was only 50% full; so, I found her choices of alternate room offerings quite poor.The 1st being right next to the maintenance room, which had very loud rumbling noises both heard and felt. Not good!! The next was far dirtier to the naked eye, and the 3rd one too was dirtier with even more stains. As it was by then 11 pm and I was very tired, I opted to stay in my original room for the night. She offered me free drinks at the bar for my troubles, which I did have, and said I was free to check out some more rooms the following day, if I was so inclined, and I should speak with the General Manager too. This could be a ploy to keep the client in the original room, though I'm betting the front desk people have very little knowledge about the quality on the rooms they give out.
Twenty five years ago, when I was fresh out of business college, and a ski bum too, I worked as a front desk person at a motel. I never inspected the rooms myself. I only saw maybe 5 of the 60 rooms we had, and it was only to become acquainted with the styles (king, double, suites, etc.) or to go get something a client had left in the room after checking out. There just wasn't time to see them all. It never occurred to me back then to be checking the cleanliness of the rooms. It was an older, budget-style, chain motel in a small college town in Colorado, best known for winter skiing 30 minutes away, and a variety of summer activities too. No one expected much from it, I'm sure. I myself had stayed at that same motel a few times, before I moved to that town and took the job there.
Since then though, I've wizened up, matured, become wealthier, and have traveled extensively for work and pleasure. So, I did bring up all my issues with the GM the next day and asked that the carpets and chair be cleaned. Still, I didn't end up moving rooms after all. I just didn't have the time. I was in town to help with a large 50th birthday party for a friend, which was not at this hotel, and I had lots to do. By the time I returned in the evenings, I was too tired to mess with moving rooms. I did however, recheck my room for the cleaning I was promised, using my blacklight, my hand and my nose. The chair was clean, though I suspect it was only switched out from another room as it was completely dry. However, the carpets too were dry to the touch, and using my blacklight, it was revealed that the stains were still there. I do not believe any more cleaning was done at all.
The hotel's website says the bedding is premium, but I disagree. The mattress was sagging in towards the center, which was quite noticeable when I was in it. It's a cheap mattress if it's doing this already. As for the bed linens, it is better than some other bedding, at some other hotels, but it is, by no means, "premium" in quality. There were 4 down pillows on the bed which did not offer much in the way of back support while sitting in bed watching TV or reading. Same was true for the down comforter. I got cold under the down comforter every night. So, using the light from the TV to back-light the comforter, I lifted it up and I could see through it very well. It only had small patches of down here and there. Finding no other blankets in my room to add to the bed for warmth, I had to crank up the heat, which was at 68, to 74, and put on wool socks and a fleece shirt and pants to sleep in, over my PJs. My room was on the 4th floor (the top floor) so perhaps the insulation in the hotel is poor. Again, not good for a 2 year old hotel. Even with the thermostat turned up, I was still cold. More insulation is likely needed for heat retention, but as far as noise, I didn't notice any coming from other rooms or from the street, except when a trash truck went by one morning.
The bath towels were nice and thick and there were enough to last me the whole stay. They did not appear to be overly perfumed either. As for the bath amenities, they’re fine for most people and are Neutrogena brand. I always use my own though.
I also noticed some things in the room needed repairs. The handicapped bar in the shower/tub had a cover missing. On further inspection, I found it had slid down to the bottom of the bar. I nicked a finger moving it back up to the top. The other needed repair was the room's front door. It was obvious that the door was poorly made and didn't hang properly. It didn't close correctly, making it impossible to lock it more thoroughly, using the bottom lock, though the crossbar lock worked, with a little cajoling. The maintenance man was on my floor the next morning; so, I pointed out the needed door repair to him and he made some adjustment to the strike plate so the bottom lock worked. I forgot to tell him about the handicapped bar.
The breakfasts were just ok, nothing remarkable. This is a mid-priced business hotel, so I was not expecting much anyway. Cook-to-order eggs were made perfectly, as requested. Not much variety to speak of though. I don't eat much for breakfast so I really don't care.
As for the Business Room... the first time I used it for confirming my return flight home, all went smoothly. The next day though, when I needed to print out some driving directions, the system was so slow that after 20 minutes of waiting for the directions and map page to load, I gave up. I went to the front desk and had the clerk print them out in under 3 minutes. Free internet is available in the rooms by either Wi-Fi or ethernet cable, which was provided. Both worked great in my room.
As for the fitness center, I didn't use it but it had everything I would have wanted to use had I had the time. The pool and hot tub were both closed for the winter, being outdoor pools. That was a shame as I would have liked a soak in a hot tub my first evening.
In conclusion, I only rate this a 3 star hotel, but I did feel I got the expected value for the money I paid.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank J-Lvs-2Travel
Reviewed 21 January 2010

This is a newer hotel. The rooms were great. We stayed in a room with 2 queens. Loved that it had a frig & microwave. My husband liked the flat screen TV with digital cable and the coffee maker in the room. I loved the free high speed internet. Had a great desk area, reading area. I also liked that it had a hair dryer, ironing board & iron.

Beds were so comfortable and very clean. Place smelled great and was very nicely decorated. There were a couple of food places within walking distance of the hotel.

The only thing that was disappointing was that the pool & hot tub are outdoors so were closed while we were there.

There is an awesome HUGE Mall just a 10-15 minute drive from the hotel. And if you are in this area you MUST visit the Double T Diner. We have had breakfast there every time we have stayed in this area and it's absolutely the BEST!!! Well worth the long line. But they seat people surprisingly fast for such a long line. Go early and you'll get a table right away. The place is bigger inside than it appears.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Check-in was very smooth, with a top-notch front desk staffer (a blond woman around 5'9" -- I think the name was Sarah) who offered great ideas about local dining options, along with a map of the area that she marked up so we could find our choice easily. The property is rather new and attractive. Once in the room, we found problems with the toilet and the "sleep number" bed, plus a rather slow reaction time for dealing with the needed repairs. What really concerns me: as we went to our room right after check in, I noticed that outside a nearby room was a used tray from someone's room service -- sort of reasonable at 10 pm. When I went down to breakfast at 7 the next morning, I saw that it was still there. I spoke to the front desk staffer about it. After breakfast, I saw that the tray was still there despite two housekeeping staffers working in the hallway. I mentioned it to one of the staffers, picking the tray off the floor myself and handing it to her for proper handling, and went to our room. Leaving the room about 90 minutes later as we checked out, I saw that the tray was STILL there. I phoned the manager on duty and indicated my disappointment and my concern for cleanliness there.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple