“One of worst in Annapolis”

Best Western Annapolis
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Ayer, Massachusetts
“One of worst in Annapolis”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

This place is a dump. The fridge leaked water, the fan in the bathroom didnt work, the room had definitely been smoked in and the door had evidence of being kicked in probably by police

Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 7 December 2009

This is easily the best hotel stay I"ve ever had in this price class. In fact, the last time I had service this great was at the $200-a-night Millenium in Minneapolis. My first hint of the service was when I discovered on Dec 3 that I had accidentally booked the room for the previous weekend. They had already charged my card when I booked and so there was nothing they had to do to keep my money. Yet they went ahead and reserved me a room for the weekend starting the next day without charging me anything! I was so relieved.

The two staff I interacted with were very friendly. The free breakfast was more than adequate. The room was squeaky clean and the water hot. The shower had one of those nice curve-out curtain rods that give you lots of room. The room had a mini-fridge and a microwave in it. Free wireless!! I was just blown away at how complete the service was. Service like this is rare, frankly.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DSMer
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We travel frequently with our 2 teenagers and always get two rooms. When we walked into the first room, we noticed dead spiders along the baseboards (at least they were dead). We looked around admist the old, worn furniture and spotted what appeard to be two stink bugs ALIVE. My boys advised me that if you smash them, they emit a horrible smell, so my oldest son grabbed a cup and the note pad and safely "cupped" one of the bugs and released it outside. He repeated this process for the other one. We couldn't help but wonder if there were others lurking throughout the room. The thermostat control on the huge air/heating unit was broken, so whatever temperature it was set at stayed. It never shut off.

We went to check out the second room...
Again, the very old outdated air/heating unit, had broken controls. The room was somewhat cleaner than the other room. There were only 2 dead bugs by the baseboards.

We tried to go to sleep that night, but that dinosaur air/heat unit would not allow us to do so. Every 8 minutes (yes, I counted them), a very loud, very startling clunking would happen as the unit disbursed it's hot air (it was very cold that weekend and turning it off was not an option), which would last a solid 90 seconds...then it would shut off, only to resume in another 8 minutes. Made it impossible to sleep that night...I thought my husband was going to have to pry me off the ceiling in the morning, because when I did fall asleep, I was scared half out of my wits by the extremely loud sound, which continually woke us during the night.

The walls are apparently very thin in that motel...my sons were exposed to a full audio sex ed class. I made them turn up the volume on the TV!!

The next morning I took a shower, only to discover that the shower curtain was not wide enough. I tried shifting it around while taking my shower, hoping that not too much water would spill out onto the floor...no such luck. There was about an inch of water on the bathroom floor when I got out of the shower.

We tried to grab a quick breakfast, but there were only a few tables (it was a serve yourself continental breakfast with waffles that you can make yourself) and it was standing room only...we walked next door to the DoubleTree and had a beautiful buffet breakfast for about $11 p/p.

I must say, the staff is very nice, however, the motel itself is in pretty bad shape. I know we won't be staying there again! I like to get sleep when I stay at a hotel/motel...not hear things go bump in the night and worry if bugs are going to crawl on me!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank TotallyLovinLife

Travellers are raving about these Annapolis hotels

ohio
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I am well aware that the hotel industry is in a battle that seems impossible to win. This is the battle against bedbugs. International travel has increased and insecticides have been banned in our country. Because of all the news coverage about this, right before I go to bed each time I am staying in a hotel I simultaneously turn on the light, pull the cover up and check the mattress seams for bedbugs.

I have never seen them before, but I almost died when I saw the tiny bugs scurrying to hide and black marks under the seam of the mattress in this hotel. I know they had recently been carried in because they were extremely small. You can tell the extent of infestation, because every time they bite, they shed their skin and enlarge in size.

I called the front desk and the attendant came immediately. I showed them to him (he was soooo shocked!) and even thought the hotel was almost booked, they got a room (very clean) ready for us to move to within minutes. Every employee that we dealt with was appaued and did all they could to make it right for us. There is no amount of cleaning that will prevent bedbugs, so i want you to know that this place was totally immaculate. Do not judge this hotel on one room. It is a wonderful hotel (with a great free breakfast!).

If the cleaning people do not check the seams of the mattress' each and every time they change the sheets, they will not be found. Even if they do check, there are times that the bugs hide in the headboard. Unfortunately, we travelers are going to have to be responsible for checking the bed before we go to sleep, or risk infestation. I know. It's gross. ....but it is a reality of the days we are living in.

Everyone thinks I was obsessive before because I always looked at the mattress. Now they (and I) know why! The suitcases we used are left in the garage because bed bugs can live up to six months without feeding. Imagine the challenge that the hotel industry is facing to fight such a formidible foe! Great job Best Western!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
jstk, General Manager at Best Western Annapolis, responded to this review, 6 November 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you for complimenting on our hotel cleanliness.
This is indeed not a cleanliness issue but rather an industry wide problem affecting many establishments.
Our staff receives thorough on going training by experts in this field and we are committed
to continuing our extensive efforts in identification and preventative measures.
We hope to have an opportunity to accommodate you again the next time you
visit Annapolis.
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed two nights at this hotel to visit Annapolis. Our room was advertised as 'remodelled' and 'non-smoking'. I concede that some of the furnishings were new but the carpet was frayed, the walls stained and there was mould in the bathroom. I'm not sure how long the room had been designated non smoking but it smelt like an old ash tray. The mattress on the bed was very saggy and we constantly rolled together during the night - not conducive to a good night's sleep!
On the plus side, the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast Ok - but we've had better in other Best Western hotels.
Annapolis is an expensive place to stay but there is a lot of choice in the area from other chain hotels and I could not recommend this one as a value for money place to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 18 August 2009

No complaints about the room, but the motel is expensive compared to other BW's.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Millersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The motel is just that ...a motel with small clean rooms. We wanted a inexpensive motel/hotel and that's what we got. The bed was soft, but not uncomfortable to sleep on. They provided us with a fridge. The pool was clean and very nice. We usual stay at Sheraton's or better hotels, but for the money, this motel was just fine. On Expedia our Sunday rate was only $50 dollars. The room includes a breakfast with a waffle maker. We figured with the breakfast deal, we saved $20 per day. If you don't mind outside doors to your room and a basic motel room, this is an okay motel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple