“Historic Inns of Annapolis”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I always stay at the Historic Inns of Annapolis when I go to Annapolis, Maryland, because they do a wonderful job of using and protecting historic structures, the rooms are beautiful, the service is excellent, and the rates are reasonable. Not to mention the ambiance, with the historic Maryland capitol building just across or down the street, depending on which of their buildings your room is in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Clementine21
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Clementine21:

Thank you for your great comments. Every so often a review such as yours is posted which does a great job summarizing the unique venue that is the Historic Inns of Annapolis. We are very proud of our hotel and I am particularly proud of the effort our team makes day in and day out to ensure we take care of not only the physical buildings with which we have been entrusted but of our guests as well. Our guests help to make our historical venue a vibrant, energetic part of Downtown Annapolis.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at the Governor Calvert House for a wedding October 25-27, 2013. It is a beautiful and charming place with great staff. I will get the warning out of the way by saying, there are stairs just inside the door to some rooms! Although there is a sign on the door that says watch your step, it was painted the same color as the door with the lettering in relief. I was traveling with my 88-year-old mother who uses a cane so thank God I walked in first. We were with the bellman, and he said "Watch your Step" as I entered the room but it was too late. I was looking not at my feet but at the beautiful room and I hit the hard wooden floor before I knew what was happening. I can't believe this has not happened before. TWO STEPS! From a safety perspective I think it would be very important to have a clearer sign and if the bellman is with you for him to say "There are two steps immediately upon entering the room". This warning needs to be specific! The bellman was very concerned and ran to get me ice, but I was very sore the whole time we were there. Black and blue. I love historic buildings, and it is ok that there were stairs but so immediately inside the door? You HAVE to warn people! That said, the room was huge and had a couch and 2 armchairs and a non-working fireplace. Absolutely stunning. My mother complimented the bed for comfort and I slept on the pullout sofa which was fine. The wedding we attended there was gorgeous. Could not have been nicer. It is an easy walk to restaurants and not too far from the harbor. I would definitely stay there again. Just please improve your notice to guests about the architectural features!

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and it was great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear thedeb:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. I am sorry that you tripped entering your room but was glad to read you noted both the sign on the door next to the door knob about the steps and the bellman’s verbal comment as well. I certainly hope you are better. Your suggestion about a different color on the sign is one I will look at as this would draw even more attention to it. I was pleased to read you found the room to be very nice and that you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

When you look out of the room windows you feel as if you are being transported back in time. All the features and comforts of a modern hotel with all the Old World Charm of Historic Annapolis! Walking distance to the waterfront and many restaurants, shops, and history! The staff are professional, friendly, and accommodating.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crazy4running
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear crazy4running:

Thank you for your contribution. You have done a great job capturing the sentiment we hear from many of our guests about their stays with us. We are absolutely not the normal experience and will continue to strive to achieve ratings of “5” in all measured categories.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to us again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband and I held our wedding here in September and had an amazing experience here. We loved our stay here and heard many positive feedback from our friends/family. We loved the historic feel of the property; the rooms had a nice decor to them. The location is ideal - It is walkable to many the Naval Academy, many cute restaurants and shops. You don't need a car all weekend. The staff would go above and beyond to help you with anything.

I stayed in two different rooms at the Governor Calvert House during my two night stay; both were absolutely amazing. The honeymoon suite was beyond amazing. Some people complained about the size of the bathrooms but I didn't think they were that bad; especially, considering the time period inn was built. My 4 bridesmaids shared one room with 2 double beds. The double beds appeared smaller than most and it was probably a tight fit. The beds were comfy though.

Our only con would be the parking/valet service. When we arrived, we had to go around the circle multiple times just to be ale to pull up and talk to someone at the valet service/drop off our car. At this point, by the time we dropped off the car/unloaded it we were frazzled and completely stressed out. This delay made us almost late for our meeting/rehearsal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skigal08
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Skigal08:

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay and wedding with us. First, congratulations on your recent marriage! We are honored that you chose the Historic Inns to be a part of this very special day and I am so happy that things went so well.

Thank you for your feedback on the valet parking; at times the State Circle road can be busy and, due to limited space in front of the hotel which we have to share with other businesses we do occasionally ask that people drive around and come back to us. It is difficult for us to hold a space when another car may be in front of yours but we will continue to move cars in and out as quickly and safely as possible.

I hope you have had a relaxing honeymoon and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is 3 separate buildings placed around old downtown Annapolis. My room was large, with big closet space, a great bed. It is an old building with older furnishings (a 'period' type room) but there was wear and tear on the furniture itself.
Housecleaning was ok, though I found evidence of a prior guest in the closet...ticket stubs and such. The hotel does provide a shuttle service. The area of the hotel is near many restaurants and shops, as well as the harbor.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear retailbarry:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your room had several issues related to cleanliness and I will share you feedback with our Director of Housekeeping so that he can correct this error. I appreciate you letting me know.

I was pleased to read you found our service and location to be excellent, and we will continue to focus on doing better in all areas. We value our business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We spent two nights in Room 314 of the Governor Calvert House in October. On the plus side, the room was spacious, well-appointed and had a lovely view of the State House. On the down side, the washroom was small but sufficient. Moreover, this is a hotel and the walls are thin so I heard BOTH sides of a late night telephone conversation coming from the adjoining room. The hotel's location is very convenient to all of the attractions in historic Annapolis. The price of the room was very reasonable and valet parking is worth the $24 they charged. You don't need a car unless you're going to dinner in Eastport.

Room Tip: Room 314 of Gov. Calvert House is an historic room. It has nice furnishings, great light and a spec...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pickascreennamepicka
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear pickascreennamea:

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at the Governor Calvert House while in Annapolis. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your room but am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from an adjoining room. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and am sorry this happened.

I agree with your assessment of our valet parking process and with the quality of our location; you simply walk out our front door and everything in Historic Downtown Annapolis is within a 10 minute walk, depending on your stride. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We only had one night in Annapolis, and this was the perfect spot to enjoy the charm of the town in a central location. We explored all of the properties, and think they all would have been great to stay in. Room was well decorated, clean, and quiet. Staff was friendly and the location couldn't be beat. If I go back, this is my list of places to stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KelleyF

Dear KelleyF:

Thank you for completing our guest survey. It was great to read that you took a look at all of our buildings; The Governor Calvert House, The Maryland Inn, and The Robert Johnson House, and that you were intrigued by all of them. Thanks for noting how clean we were and how friendly our staff was. You are absolutely correct on our location – it truly is exceptional.

We appreciate your patronage and your feedback. Don’t wait too long to come back although I do see you are from Oregon so we will see you when we do.