“AAA+++”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The staff goes out of their way to make sure everything goes well during your stay. The rooms are well decorated and the beds are just right. And the location near everything downtown is perfect. What more could a tourist to a great place like Annapolis ask for? Thanks, Mike and your crew.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing State Circle and had no traffic noise problems.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Retiredtogolf:

I am glad to see retirement is treating you well! Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so proud of our team; they truly do focus on our guests and really work, as you said, to ensure things go well. Our location, as you note, is great and in the middle of the Historic District.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you.

Mike Radike

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Have stayed here a number of times on the past 3 years. It is a perfect location to get around Annapolis. It is actually three different buildings in the Annpolis historic circle area. I have stayed in all three. Maryland Inn is on the main street - can be noisy on a warmer night, but you can watch people right out the window or porch(if you score a room with a deck). Maryland Inn has a starbucks and a restuarant in same building which none of the others do. Not really a big worry at any of the properties, as you are never far from good places to eat. Robert Johnson has no lobby to speak of, although my room was lovely, an oversized kind sized suite with a view to water. (I was upgraded for free!). Governor Calvert is a beaultiful building. Hisortic Queen rooms are gorgeous, fireplace, antiques and oozing with warmth and charm. Price, value and location of these inns is perfect. Staff is friendly and professional, rooms were clean, beds comfy. Free wifi in all rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Tess C:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our stay and that the price value of the hotel was “perfect.” I was equally pleased to read about how great a job our staff did and that you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here for a wedding this past weekend. The facility for the wedding was gorgeous. It was truly stunning. We stayed in the Robert Johnson House. While the inns are beautiful and have a great "old" town feel, there are some issues that need to be addressed.
We were not told at the time of our reservation that we would only be sleeping in a double bed. My husband and I couldn't sleep comfortably in the bed. I'm a fairly small woman and my husband an average man but it didn't work out well. Our door shut fine but there was nearly 1" opening at the bottom of the door when it was shut. At night, we had the light from the hallway coming in. There is also something unsettling about having that much of a gap at the bottom of the door. There was only one mirror - that in the bathroom. Not a big deal by any means but rather inconvenient.
I would be sure to ask upon making a reservation what type of bed you will be receiving and which inn you will be staying in. Our friends were in the Maryland Inn and they too had a few issues but I can't speak to that.
We found the valet to be a bit overwhelmed with weddings, guests, etc. There were a lot of people coming in and leaving at the same time. You'd think that this could be addressed since they knew it would be happening.
All in all, it was a beautiful inn in a great location. However, for the price paid in the future I would probably not stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about what size bed you're getting. Also have them confirm which Inn you'...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank maestra611
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear maestra611:

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I apologize that the room reserved had a double bed; we are currently evaluating which of these rooms are large enough to switch to a queen size bed and hope to be able to move forward with that effort in the coming year. Your comment about the gap at the bottom of the door is concerning and I have shared that with my Chief Engineer to see how we can fix that issue.

I appreciate you taking the time to write and provide us some areas to do better in and thank you as well for taking the time to note what a great venue we were for the wedding you attended.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at the Governor Calvert in the more modern section of the inn. Beautiful room, comfortable bed, a tv large enough to actually watch the Ravens game in comfort (no small feat, it was a big room). The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. The inns, themselves are worth wandering around to check out their various museum displays. The Governor Calvert is just enough off the main drag to make the rooms quiet, but still easily walkable to everything. First time I've ever stayed in Annapolis that was not at a friends house. A really special experience.

Room Tip: Determine whether you want historical or modern and ask the staff for their recommendation.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sakecat22:

Thank you for your feedback. I was very happy that you had a great TV to watch the Ravens game on, less happy with the end result! I am pleased that you found our efforts at maintaining a historical ambiance to be successful and that our team and location were just perfect for you.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Sincerely,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Main Street is the perfect location for all the fun and access to the Naval Academy and Stadium. I didn't need my car the whole weekend so I didn't have any issues with valet. Walked everwhere and had access to everything. The bars were packed but you could still get in them. I stayed in the Maryland Inn and was on the fourth floor. It was a small room but very cozy and suited my needs. The bathroom was tiny but fine for one person. I am not sure 2 people could feel comfortable sharing a room that size but I didn't need to. There was some noise, but I turned the fan on in the rooms window unit and it drowned out any noise from the street or the hallway. The room was also away from the elevator and the stairs so I didn't have any of those issues. I didn't use any other amenities like the business center or visit the other locations except for check in at the Calvert House. The staff was friendly and accommodating but since I didn't have any issues I didn't deal with them very much. I did have to leave my car in valet after check out time and they were helpful letting it stay there for a few hours past. I also left my bag in the business center at the Maryland Inn and that was taken care of by Michelle a very pleasant staff member. Being in Annapolis for Marine Corp Ball (did not attend but Marines and their dates were everywhere), Veteran's Day Weekend and Navy Football was energetic and jam packed with things to do. All I wanted was a comfy bed at the end of a long yet fun weekend and that is what I got. Also, if you are visiting a Midshipman anything on Mainstreet is easy for them to get back and forth from especially at bar time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rocket-Awesome
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Rocket-Awesome:
Thank you for your feedback, and for the great detail in your response. I was very pleased to read that our team did a great job for you and that our location in the heart of Historic Downtown Annapolis worked out so well. You did in fact pick a great weekend to come in; the level of energy in the City, as you noted we really great. The convergence of a home Navy football game, a long Veteran’s Day weekend, and the Marine Corp Ball made for a really exciting time.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thanks!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I always stay at the Historic Inns of Annapolis when I go to Annapolis, Maryland, because they do a wonderful job of using and protecting historic structures, the rooms are beautiful, the service is excellent, and the rates are reasonable. Not to mention the ambiance, with the historic Maryland capitol building just across or down the street, depending on which of their buildings your room is in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Clementine21
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Clementine21:

Thank you for your great comments. Every so often a review such as yours is posted which does a great job summarizing the unique venue that is the Historic Inns of Annapolis. We are very proud of our hotel and I am particularly proud of the effort our team makes day in and day out to ensure we take care of not only the physical buildings with which we have been entrusted but of our guests as well. Our guests help to make our historical venue a vibrant, energetic part of Downtown Annapolis.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at the Governor Calvert House for a wedding October 25-27, 2013. It is a beautiful and charming place with great staff. I will get the warning out of the way by saying, there are stairs just inside the door to some rooms! Although there is a sign on the door that says watch your step, it was painted the same color as the door with the lettering in relief. I was traveling with my 88-year-old mother who uses a cane so thank God I walked in first. We were with the bellman, and he said "Watch your Step" as I entered the room but it was too late. I was looking not at my feet but at the beautiful room and I hit the hard wooden floor before I knew what was happening. I can't believe this has not happened before. TWO STEPS! From a safety perspective I think it would be very important to have a clearer sign and if the bellman is with you for him to say "There are two steps immediately upon entering the room". This warning needs to be specific! The bellman was very concerned and ran to get me ice, but I was very sore the whole time we were there. Black and blue. I love historic buildings, and it is ok that there were stairs but so immediately inside the door? You HAVE to warn people! That said, the room was huge and had a couch and 2 armchairs and a non-working fireplace. Absolutely stunning. My mother complimented the bed for comfort and I slept on the pullout sofa which was fine. The wedding we attended there was gorgeous. Could not have been nicer. It is an easy walk to restaurants and not too far from the harbor. I would definitely stay there again. Just please improve your notice to guests about the architectural features!

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and it was great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear thedeb:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. I am sorry that you tripped entering your room but was glad to read you noted both the sign on the door next to the door knob about the steps and the bellman’s verbal comment as well. I certainly hope you are better. Your suggestion about a different color on the sign is one I will look at as this would draw even more attention to it. I was pleased to read you found the room to be very nice and that you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.