“Convence & Concerns”

Historic Inns of Annapolis
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the Maryland Inn and very much enjoyed our room. The Inn is conveniently located for those wanting to walk around Historic Annapolis. Our room was very good size, except for the bathroom. It was less than tiny. We visited in early December and as an old building it was very drafty. Cold air was present in the bathroom and windows in the main bedroom.

Valet service needs a LOT of work. The first 2 times we needed our car, we did as instructed and called with lead time. I gave us 30 minutes (the suggested time is 5-10 minutes). The car arrived nearly one hour later. The next day it was almost 40 minutes before being delivered. The other times I requested the car it arrived in 20 and 10 minutes respectively. They need to find a better method for delivery. Cars are stored a very short distance from the Inn.

Room Tip: If you use valet service, give yourself plenty of time! We were late for three meetings due to slow...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Henry D:

Thank you for your feedback on your recent. We absolutely had some challenges with our valet service this past weekend. Some of them were external factors we had little influence over but relative to your comments we could have reacted more proactively after you informed us of the wait on the first request. I have shared your feedback with our Valet Account Manager who is reviewing our internal processes and staffing to ensure we can prevent excessive wait times moving forward. I appreciate you letting me know about this.

I was pleased to see this specific set of incidents did not taint your perception of your entire experience. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My family and I stayed only one night in this very cosy inn. The staff was very helpful, the rooms fine, in a nostalgic style of old days. Perfect location near the old citycenter. The complimentary "breakfast" very simple.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear AHNDenmark:

Thank you for choosing the Historic Inns for your overnight accommodations while in Annapolis. I was pleased to read you found our team, guestroom, and location to be very good. I apologize if we were not more specific in describing our morning offerings of coffee, tea, Danish, muffin, and whole fruit in the Calvert House. We will correct that and I appreciate you letting me know.

We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here over labor day weekend and loved it! Being from the New England area we needed some help from the staff to get around town. Caitlin at the front desk was wonderful and so helpful with suggestions on activities and dinning. The location is perfect, almost everywhere we needed to go was within walking distance. The room was clean and the staff were great! I highly recommend staying here when visiting Annapolis.

• Stayed: September 2013
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear axxis8:

Thank you for posting your feedback. I am glad you got a chance to get away and chose to visit Annapolis, spending the weekend at the Historic Inns. Our Front Desk Supervisor, Caitlin, consistently provides the quality of service you commented on, and is one of the many reasons so many of our guests can’t wait to return.

I am so glad you found our location, service, and cleanliness to be “5’s,” and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The staff goes out of their way to make sure everything goes well during your stay. The rooms are well decorated and the beds are just right. And the location near everything downtown is perfect. What more could a tourist to a great place like Annapolis ask for? Thanks, Mike and your crew.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing State Circle and had no traffic noise problems.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Retiredtogolf:

I am glad to see retirement is treating you well! Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so proud of our team; they truly do focus on our guests and really work, as you said, to ensure things go well. Our location, as you note, is great and in the middle of the Historic District.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Have stayed here a number of times on the past 3 years. It is a perfect location to get around Annapolis. It is actually three different buildings in the Annpolis historic circle area. I have stayed in all three. Maryland Inn is on the main street - can be noisy on a warmer night, but you can watch people right out the window or porch(if you score a room with a deck). Maryland Inn has a starbucks and a restuarant in same building which none of the others do. Not really a big worry at any of the properties, as you are never far from good places to eat. Robert Johnson has no lobby to speak of, although my room was lovely, an oversized kind sized suite with a view to water. (I was upgraded for free!). Governor Calvert is a beaultiful building. Hisortic Queen rooms are gorgeous, fireplace, antiques and oozing with warmth and charm. Price, value and location of these inns is perfect. Staff is friendly and professional, rooms were clean, beds comfy. Free wifi in all rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Tess C:

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our stay and that the price value of the hotel was “perfect.” I was equally pleased to read about how great a job our staff did and that you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here for a wedding this past weekend. The facility for the wedding was gorgeous. It was truly stunning. We stayed in the Robert Johnson House. While the inns are beautiful and have a great "old" town feel, there are some issues that need to be addressed.
We were not told at the time of our reservation that we would only be sleeping in a double bed. My husband and I couldn't sleep comfortably in the bed. I'm a fairly small woman and my husband an average man but it didn't work out well. Our door shut fine but there was nearly 1" opening at the bottom of the door when it was shut. At night, we had the light from the hallway coming in. There is also something unsettling about having that much of a gap at the bottom of the door. There was only one mirror - that in the bathroom. Not a big deal by any means but rather inconvenient.
I would be sure to ask upon making a reservation what type of bed you will be receiving and which inn you will be staying in. Our friends were in the Maryland Inn and they too had a few issues but I can't speak to that.
We found the valet to be a bit overwhelmed with weddings, guests, etc. There were a lot of people coming in and leaving at the same time. You'd think that this could be addressed since they knew it would be happening.
All in all, it was a beautiful inn in a great location. However, for the price paid in the future I would probably not stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about what size bed you're getting. Also have them confirm which Inn you'...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank maestra611
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear maestra611:

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I apologize that the room reserved had a double bed; we are currently evaluating which of these rooms are large enough to switch to a queen size bed and hope to be able to move forward with that effort in the coming year. Your comment about the gap at the bottom of the door is concerning and I have shared that with my Chief Engineer to see how we can fix that issue.

I appreciate you taking the time to write and provide us some areas to do better in and thank you as well for taking the time to note what a great venue we were for the wedding you attended.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at the Governor Calvert in the more modern section of the inn. Beautiful room, comfortable bed, a tv large enough to actually watch the Ravens game in comfort (no small feat, it was a big room). The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. The inns, themselves are worth wandering around to check out their various museum displays. The Governor Calvert is just enough off the main drag to make the rooms quiet, but still easily walkable to everything. First time I've ever stayed in Annapolis that was not at a friends house. A really special experience.

Room Tip: Determine whether you want historical or modern and ask the staff for their recommendation.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sakecat22:

Thank you for your feedback. I was very happy that you had a great TV to watch the Ravens game on, less happy with the end result! I am pleased that you found our efforts at maintaining a historical ambiance to be successful and that our team and location were just perfect for you.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Sincerely,