“Overpriced, underperforming”

Loews Annapolis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My friend and I were looking forward to a weekend reunion here, and sprung for a suite. What a disappointment. The decor was drab, and unimpressive, and the one window looked out onto what could have been an atrium or courtyard, but instead it appeared to be an area for catered events.The bathroom was typical, although the towels were super big and plush, and the robes soft and comfy. The beds were also comfortable. The location was a on the edge of the historic district, definitely walkable, but not worth the first rate price tag.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a discounted rate, or look elsewhere.This is not barely a 3 star hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
BarbaraMcMahonLoews, General Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear shetown12,
Thank you very much for your comments. We value all our guests’ feedback, and we are certainly disappointed learning you were not impressed. I’m very sorry you felt disappointed with the property. Since we have finished renovations to all our guest rooms and suites in March of this year, we have received an overwhelmingly positive response from most guests about the refreshed, updated design and décor, and new amenities. That said, I’m quite surprised by your comments, but I understand everyone has their own design and aesthetic preferences.

It is great to hear you enjoyed some of the new room amenities that were part of the overall makeover, including our extra large bath towels, and the new lush, Doeskin bathrobes. I’m happy the bed was comfortable, and you found our central location walkable for Annapolis’ sites.

Regarding your room view, we do have a few different view options, including on West Street, facing our outdoor courtyard and facing the interior atrium you describe. For these rooms, we receive comments from guests who enjoy facing the atrium with its great natural light and ambience, but understand and respect guest have different preferences on room choice. We’d love to help you select your view for any possible future visit.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Barbara McMahon, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,304)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of May 2nd and were pleasantly surprised by how convenient it is to all of the Annapolis attractions. Annapolis is a very walkable town with lots of history and ambience. We will be back!

The parking valet's were very friendly and helpful. Because we arrived before the room was ready, the desk clerks took our luggage for safe keeping. When we booked a room, we specifically requested a room on an upper floor not looking into the atrium and not near an elevator. We confirmed this when we checked in and left our luggage. However, when we came back late in the afternoon and were shown to our room, it was on an upper floor, but overlooked the atrium and was only one room away from the elevators...which you could hear running between floors. So we weren't very happy about that.

The room was spacious, the bed comfortable, and the showerhead provided a great shower instead of a measly stream of water like most hotels.

Checkout was easy and friendly and the parking valet brought the car around quickly.

The hotel does have a large bar area and outdoor seating overlooking the street is available for meals and drinks.

Loews was a bit pricy, but for this special weekend and the location, it was worth it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMLoews, Director of Sales and Marketing at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear DennisInNJ,
Thank you for your comments. We’re so happy you were pleasantly surprised by our excellent location and had an enjoyable special weekend in Annapolis. I absolutely love the charm, historic sites, and ambiance you describe – with our central location, it is very easy for most people to explore downtown Annapolis on foot, including the 8-minute stroll down to the waterfront.

It’s great to hear our friendly staff, from valet to checkout, made an impression.That said, I'm sorry to learn of your location preference not being addressed and the frustration it caused. When you come back to visit again, please contact me directly at 410-295-3202 so I may see to your reservation personally, and we will take great care of you.

I’m glad you liked our spacious, and newly renovated rooms, as well as our new showerheads – it can make a world of difference to have great water pressure!

Thank you for highlighting our restaurant’s bar, and outdoor patio area for dining and drinks. It is definitely a popular attraction this time of year, with covered shade areas!

We appreciate your comments and the fact that you chose Loews Annapolis. I hope you will consider staying with us again for special trips to the area.

410-295-3202

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was with a group that stayed at the Loews this past weekend for a wedding that was in town. The hotel was extremely nice and the staff was very helpful and professional with anything we needed. I would especially like to mention one of the beautiful ladies working behind the front desk that absolutely made our trip a memorable one. Joanna went above and beyond her normal job responsibilities in taking care of our group(even though we probably didn't deserve it). Being a young crowd in town for a wedding we were definitely guilty of having too much fun the several nights we were there. She was very competent and even when our behavior was a little outrageous she maintained her professionalism(which I can assure you was quite a challenge!) She is a real asset to this exceptional hotel and I would recommend anyone looking for a place to stay in Annapolis to look into Loews.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Jackson39706,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are always very happy to learn when our team members help make a guest’s experiences memorable and positive. Joanna is such an asset on our staff, and we are fortunate to have her on the front desk team. Her positive, can-do spirit and friendly, “above and beyond” service make her the subject of many guests’ pleased remarks, and we have shared your kind words with her. Thank you!

I’m glad you found the hotel extremely nice, especially as we just completed renovations of all guest rooms and suites in March of this year.

Thank you for recommending Loews Annapolis to others, and we hope you can visit again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had such a beautiful short trip in Annapolis mostly because of our stay at this hotel. Clean, modern, comfortable, good location, nice restaurants around. West- the restaurant downstairs is great as well, with a wide selection of wines by the glass and carafe. Staff was superb!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Annapolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Christelle H,
Thank you for your feedback. It’s so nice to learn we could help make your trip in Annapolis wonderful. We’re fortunate to have a dedicated staff who genuinely care about our guests’ experiences – I appreciate your recognition!

Location, location location… we can’t help but be excited about being in such a convenient spot, a short stroll to the waterfront and near plenty of restaurants and entertainment. I’m glad you enjoyed our restaurant on property as we want the food to be as memorable as the stay!

Thank you for choosing Loews Annapolis, and I hope you will visit again.

Best wishes,
Barbara McMahon

Reviewed 13 May 2014

As my first time at this hotel I was not expecting much out of the ordinary, but was very pleasantly surprised. The property is excellent and well maintained. The staff was perfect and obviously well trained. Food, restaurant, and Bar area are great and make the stay even better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Christopher H,
Thank you very much for your review. I’m thrilled we scored top marks with you! We just completed a makeover of all our guest rooms and suites, so I’m glad you enjoyed the property so much. Service is our top priority above all, and I appreciate you making a reference to our staff’s dedicated efforts to exceeding expectations.

Isn’t food one of the best parts of travel, even when on business? I’m so glad you got to enjoy our on-property restaurant and bar!

I hope you will have the chance to stay with Loews Annapolis again. Our patio should be quite lively all summer long!

Best wishes,
Barbara McMahon

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel while attending a wedding reception . It was quite expensive but there was a special price due to the reception. Staff was excellent. I rarely had to open a door and the parking valets were extremely helpful. Restaurant was overpriced for lunch and one of our items was actually cold. Our waitress was excellent however. Overall it was a very good experience and would like to stay here again if we return to Annapolis. Centrally located in the older part of town, it would be ideal for touring the sights.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Deacon54,
Thank you very much for your review. We are glad you had the chance to experience Loews Annapolis during a wedding reception and received excellent service from our staff. We are proud of the committed, professional team we have built, and we’re so happy to know they contributed to your positive experience.

Please accept our apologies for the cold dish you received in the restaurant. I am glad to hear your server was excellent. We have made some adjustments including new menus with new options and prices which will be sure to please discerning palates.

I’m excited you highlighted our great location – quite convenient for exploring downtown Annapolis on foot, or by way of the free circulator trolley that stops out front of the hotel.

Thank you for your feedback, and I hope you can visit the city and Loews Annapolis again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel was clean and comfortable. It was nothing special as a business hotel. It was a great value with the conference rate I had. I would stay at the hotel again for a conference but it would not be a hotel of choice

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lou H
Thank you very much for your comments. I’m happy that you were comfortable and enjoyed the cleanliness of our property, as well as the value for your business conference. It is disappointing reading that you weren’t impressed with the hotel. In March of this year we completed a full renovation of our guest rooms, with new décor – a modern, coastal-inspired design, new linens and many updated amenities including 47-inch smart TVs, Keurig coffee makers, mini fridges, laptop-sized in-room safes and more.

I hope your conference schedule allowed you some free time to explore Annapolis – if so, you hopefully enjoyed our convenient location, just a short stroll down to Main Street and the waterfront area.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you will consider visiting again.

Barbara McMahon, General Manager