“Work in Progress Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
San Francisco, California
“Work in Progress Hotel”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This Sheraton does not live up to the standard Sheraton quality I have come to expect. The hotel lobby looked clean and recently renovated; however, once you start examining the hotel closer, you'll notice that looks can definitely be deceiving.

The bad: the hotel environs appear to be very very moist. What do I mean by that? Imagine you had left the window open all week in your living room making everything slightly damp to the touch. And imagine if the AC only made it cold and clammy instead of removing the humidity from the air. This describes the hotel and all three rooms that we reserved exactly. Of course the problem with this is that it makes everything feel icky...and potentially moldy. While I didn't see any mold, my workmate who has sensitive allergies had issues.

The hotel also appears to be undergoing major renovations. One elevator was not working and the only other working elevator was not in the best of shape.

The good: the hotel is located next to a bunch of good places to eat, the lounge on the 6th floor has drinks and a basic breakfast in the mornings.

I would probably recommend staying away from this hotel until things get settled.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Anon Y
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear tPFmariah9999 than you for all your feed back regarding the hotel, I am very sorry and embarrassed about the situations that occurred. We will certainly be addressing any and all items as quickly as possible and some have already been addressed. We strive to be the best hotel in Annapolis and I am sorry we failed you. We kow this experience is not typical of our hotel and staff and I hope you give us another chance when traveling through the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
Northern VA
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Sheraton in Annapolis, MD and wanted to share some issues with this hotel before choosing it so you can make an informed decision. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had at an Sheraton.

At check-in I approached the lobby desk with three receptionists and no waiting guests. I was greeted by an employee who said she was in training as the other two receptionists were talking and laughing in a private conversation. I stood there awkwardly until at least five minutes later when one of them told me they would help me in just a minute. They were not assisting any other guests but just did not feel like assisting me. This was a disappointing check-in to say the least and was very telling of the rest of my stay. I was told that one of the elevators just went down and told that someone was working on fixing them. There was a major convention going on in the hotel so the one elevator was in incredibly high demand. We could not even bring our luggage into the hotel until the next day (afternoon) because there were so many people waiting for the elevator. The one working elevator did not have air conditioning and there was no air conditioning in the hallways as well. The elevator remained down for my entire stay and I never saw any evidence anyone was working on them. The one working elevator was extremely slow – sometimes you would have to wait up to 15 minutes to catch the elevator. I was later told by multiple guests that the other elevator had caught on fire and they had to evacuate the building earlier in the day that I checked-in. Someone else told me this happened once before last month. I checked in a few hours later but it's not acceptable to have this problem reoccurring. Looking at online reviews, I see this hotel has had elevator problems for quite some time. I am incredibly concerned about the safety of guests staying in this hotel.

Our room was not clean. There were visible signs of dust, hair, and stains such as coffee, etc., that were dried and were not cleaned up. There was no in-room safe (which is an amenity listed on the website) and so I had to carry my valuables back and forth with me every time I left the hotel. It should not be listed as an amenity since it's not in the room. I was expecting a refrigerator I had requested in advance by email and I received a reply email confirmation but there was no refrigerator in our room. They told me it was on my reservation but they were waiting to see if there was one in our room. I said it was not in the room and she told me they would bring one up to our room right away. It never arrived and later were told after inquiring again that there was a shortage and I would not get one.

I had a difficult time getting essentials in my hotel room. When I asked for towels I was told that towels were hard to come by and when I asked further I was told they frequently run out of towels at this hotel. How is that even possible?

The shower ran from extremely cold to scalding hot (back and forth) while trying to take a shower without adjusting the shower temperature. It was impossible to take a shower without getting burned and we never had a shower at a normal temperature.

The air conditioning / heating unit was outdated and ran extremely loud. It would only work part of the time, smelled like mold, and left the room very humid. Every time it started it sounded like an airplane starting or race car starting and could be heard throughout the night with ear plugs. It was incredibly loud.

I ordered room service and received something completely different than what I ordered. The person who delivered the room service was nice and said we would not be charged for it, but at the same time they didn’t offer to get us what we ordered or apologize for bringing the wrong food.

At this point, it was not surprising because every experience in this hotel was like this. They did not care or give any attention to detail. They were not friendly or helpful. It's clear to me this is an issue stemming from the top down.

It is upsetting to have amenities listed, such as an in-room safe and confirmed refrigerator added to my reservation and then not be available when during my stay at the hotel. It’s not acceptable to have unclean rooms, showers that cannot be set to one temperature, towel shortages, air conditioning units that don’t work properly and can be heard through ear plugs in the middle of the night. The elevator issue is beyond concerning and is a safety issue to everyone in the hotel. I ordered room service and received the wrong order. Other issues were uneven doors and frame work in connecting rooms, poor construction and remodeling throughout the hotel, loud slamming doors that could be heard through the walls along with anyone having a conversation outside of the room.

Nothing about this stay was relaxing or enjoyable. This hotel does not practice the standards I have experienced from Sheraton hotels. If you are someone who cares about the way you are treated, wants a clean room and cares about the other problems I mentioned, then this might not be the best choice for you.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is away from route 50 or it will be one more added noise to your night.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you EMT68 for taking the time to post your feedback. We apprciate you mentioning how great the hotel was for you and the amenities. I was sorry to hear about the remotes and the noise. We are working hard to fix these problems and have found soulutions as well. We hope you come back and see us soon!

Travellers are raving about these Annapolis hotels

Maryland
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I really wanted to give this hotel a much higher rating since mostly it is an excellent hotel. However, the primary criteria for choosing a hotel is where I can get a good night's sleep, and that is not possible here with the paper-thin walls and doors that slam loudly. My daughter and I were woken up numerous times during the night by the person in the next room talking on his cellphone (I could easily make out his side of the conversation), people talking in the room on the other side of us, and doors slamming shut. As an aside, why does someone need to be on their cellphone at 1 a.m. and again at 5 a.m. on a Saturday?

Another issue for security, privacy, and noise was the 1-inch or larger gap under the doors connecting us to the room next-door. I could easily look under the door and see most of the other room (I only did this very briefly when no one was next-door just to see how big the gap really was). I put pillows in front of this gap for privacy and a little noise suppression.

The third issue, which I only mention because it was in other reviews, is with the television. Our remote barely worked -- had to press the buttons hard several times and maybe it would work. Maintenance brought a box of about 6 - 8 remotes, which also did not work. He then brought another remote with fresh batteries that sorta worked but I was tired of dealing with the tv at that point.

If not for these issues the hotel was great. Room was very clean. Beds extremely comfortable. Nice desk and chair. Okay bathroom with good water pressure. Very nice indoor pool and hot tub (more like warm tub -- could have been much hotter). Great workout room. Good food in the Club Lounge. Convenient parking. Close to Route 50, shopping, and restaurants.

Room Tip: Non-connecting if possible, and with no one in rooms next to you if hotel is not busy.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Daryl S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear emt68, thank you for writing on TripAdvisor. As you can see we take all comments to heart and are always looking to improve. Thank you for bring our attention to the connecting door noise issue. We will look for ways to address the issue immediately! As for the remotes, we have identified the problem and are addressing that as well. Thank you again for the feedback and we hope you chose the Sheraton as your destination when traveling through the area next time!
Brooklawn, NJ
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We popped into Annapolis for an overnight trip and thought we had reservations at the Sheraon Annapolis (turns out we didn't, but that was the fault of Starwood, not the hotel). The overworked desk clerk was very helpful.

When we finally got into a room, we discovered a nice little room. The rooms are a good size, the beds are comfortable, and it was a decent experience.

The room wasn't perfect - the bed was a bit short for someone who is 6'4'', and the fan loudly cycled all night - but nothing that was too annoying.

The Sheraton is a bit outside of Annapolis, not a horrible drive, out by the local Mall. It's tucked in behind a number of restaurants, nestled in right by Route 50 (which does leave some road noise).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear KJE1776, thank you for taking time to write a nice review about our hotel and mentioning our very helpful desk clerk. We look forward to popping in next time you are through the area!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 16 July 2012

As a SPG member I needed a quick weekend getaway and this hotel fits that bill. Location was great Mall across the street for those who like shopping and short drive to Downtown Annapolis is a must and glad I did. I really would come back to this hotel again. Front Desk people A-plus on the service

Room Tip: If you coming to Maryland and what to try crabs GO TO CANTLERS IN ANNAPOLIS but know the wait is a k...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Bgdaddy1us, thank you for taking the time to post a great revew about the A service by the front desk! Please know we do have free shuttle to downtown Annapolis as well. We look forward to having you back soon!
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We had a great stay at the Sheraton in Annapolis, situated just several miles outside of Historic Annapolis. Our primary reason for choosing this hotel was the price and proximity to Annapolis, as we knew navigating around and parking in Annapolis could be troublesome. This Sheraton location provides a shuttle that drops you off at the Visitor Center booth at the Harbor! Right at the water and near the Naval Academy Visitor Center entrance. We were so relieved! The club level room was clean and breakfast included eggs, sausage, fruit, assorted beverages, and breads/cereals.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan S
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Alan,
Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone that you had a great stay at our hotel. We work hard to impress our guest with great service and cleanliness. I was happy to hear you took advantage of our free shuttle service and you enjoyed the club lounge so much. We look forward to haveing you come back soon!
Falls Church, VA
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed here because we were going to a comedy show in Annapolis that night. The room was clean as was the bathroom. The TV wasn't working properly. We called and asked if it could be fixed and the guy said they would have to change the whole set. Since we were only staying the night we didn't bother with it, but to make up for it they gave us complimentary passes for the breakfast buffet in the morning. The breakfast wasn't very good, but it was the thought of taking care of the guests that we liked. The location does suck as it is not walker friendly or very close to historic Annapolis, but overall it is a nice place to stay if you need to.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Annapolis, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Moe, thank you for all the great comments about the wonderful staff and our excellent hotel. We take pride in our hotel and I am glad you noticed. I was sorry to hear about the breakfast and TV, please accept my apology for these issues. We sincerely hope you come back to see us soon!