“An Expensive Disappointment”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
bloomfield hills, mi
“An Expensive Disappointment”
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I do recognize that all accomodations in Annapolis are pricey. And I did desperately want a hotel with an indoor pool to keep my six year old happy during this weekend. With that said, I was disappointed in this hotel, and while I cannot say I would never stay here again (because indoor pools are limited) I will think twice before I decide to stay here. As mentioned previously, there is an impressive odor in the hall/room. A strong musty old smell. The rooms are not sound proof, although that may be related to our room being an adjoining room. NOISY! We could hear the entire conversation in the room next to us, as I am sure they heard our entire conversations (tv too.) Probably not too much of a problem in the afternoon, but at 6:33am on Saturday morning, not the way I like to wake up. There was an impressive towel shortage throughout the entire weekend, both in the room and at the pool. On sat. afternoon (late after 4pm) our room still had not seen housekeeping. (We had left the room at 7:30am).And a little surprise to me is the hotel is pet friendly, which may not be a concern to many, but an anaphylactic concern for me. Dogs everywhere. (My daughter loved it)(I was glad I had medication). I do need to mention the front desk staff was tremendous!!! And very very helpful. And that would be the reason I would return to this hotel! Great Front desk Staff!

• Liked — location, front desk staff
  • Disliked — noisy rooms, lack of towels
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank adawosdi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Redding, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 July 2007

This hotel says it has been newly renovated. So how come the rooms, even the club level rooms, have smelly carpet? The strong musty smell is evident in the room that I felt scared that staying in here is dangerous to my health. The staff, though, is very helpful and friendly. Hope that they can do something about the carpet.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank ctnyc

Travellers are raving about these Annapolis hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2007

We booked this hotel on Hotwire for $89 for a Friday night prior to a wedding we had on the Eastern Shore of MD. It was rate 3.5 stars. We decided to spend the night in Annapolis and do some touring before crossing the Bay Bridge. It was a great time !!

The hotel was beautiful, recently renovated with a nice pool and spa area. The only bump in our stay was that the reception counter was being managed by a young inexperienced man, who was curt and not very professional. We checked in and went up to our room to find that it was still being cleaned by the maid. We lugged our stuff back down and an older, very friendly and knowldgeable lady fixed the mistake swifty and with a smile !

As a previous reviewer mentioned, the hotel is not in the downtown, historic part of the city. So you will need to drive there (it takes about 5-10 minutes) But, the hotel's location is great for off-the-highway access (Route 50), which is what we wnated after a long road trip down (and the free parking was great). Downtown Annapolis has plenty of street and lot parking and is a small walking place, so it wasnt a big deal at all to drive in and park the care. We even found a free meter after looking for only 3 minutes ! All the fancy restaurants downtown also have valet, if that is your cup of tea !

There were also a ton on chain sit-down restuarants near the hotel for a quick meal or you could drive into downtown (about 5 mintues) for a more local feel.

The Sheraton was definitely worth the $89 rate we paid and was a great base for our first trip to Annapolis. We highly reccomend it !

• Liked — Nice Clean Pool and Spa, with plush towels !
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 31 May 2007

We got this room for $95 through Hotwire. It was rated a 3.5 star hotel through them which was pretty accurate but what wasn't accurate was that they called it "Downtown Annapolis." It was a ten minute drive from downtown out in the area where most of the hotels have a chain. However, it was a really nice hotel. Check-in was quick and easy. The rooms were very clean and decorated in a contempory yacht theme. The king-size bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets on the bed were really nice. There was a sofabed in our room. Also a coffee maker with coffee and creamers. The bathroom had a granite counter and was very clean. The hotel has a free business center near the lobby which included two computers and a printer so it was easy to check my email, etc. There are loads of restaurants within walking distance as well as a movie theater and a mall. We were only there to sleep since we spent our time in the historic waterfront district but we had a great night's sleep and wish all hotels we stayed at were this nice!

• Liked — Comfy beds, clean room
  • Disliked — Not close to downtown
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2007

The Sheraton Annapolis was a very nice hotel with comfortable beds and helpful staff. I booked two rooms through hotwire.com while looking for an inexpensive place to stay one night in Annapolis with my in-laws. It was described as a 3.5 star hotel in the waterfront area, which was a little big misleading as it is approximately 10 miles from the waterfront (and happens to be across the street from the Annapolis mall).

We did get the rooms at $95/night each though, which was much better than the $200+/night price tag for the larger, closer hotels such as the O'Callaghan and Lowe's. There was a great shuttle van that took us to downtown Annapolis and picked us up at our restaurant after dinner (latest pick up is at 9:30 pm).

The rooms were nice and quiet, despite the fact that there was a senior high school prom taking place in the downstairs lobby/meeting room area. Beds were very comfortable and there was a nice desk area for your laptop. Breakfast was a buffet in the restaurant downstairs $6.50/all you can eat. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a budget friendly location in Annapolis with class and comfortable amenities.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and shuttle service to downtown Annapolis
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole A
Maryland
Reviewed 21 March 2007

I only spent one night at this hotel, but was at the hotel for two days at a conference. The hotel was recently renovated, and it looks clean inside and out.

Upon entering the hotel, staff were very friendly and made sure I felt comfortable and I knew where I was going. The conference rooms were adequately equipped with all we needed, and the food was good.

Check-in was easy and quick. Front desk staff, very friendly and nice. The room was very nice with a large TV, coffee maker and tea bags, iron (a must for business trips), and two comfortable beds. The bed was very comfortable with tons of pillows. They have a great indoor pool and gym, and the restaurant downstairs has decent food. The only negative thing about the room was a terrible view of the parking lot and noise from the nearby highway.

Location wise, there are plenty of restaurants in walking distance with the large Annapolis Mall right across the street. The hotel has a free shuttle bus to downtown Annapolis (about a 10-15 minute ride to downtown) which I didn't utilize since I had my car, but am sure it was convenient for those traveling from out of state.

Overall, my stay was very pleasent. The room was clean and comfortable, and I would definitely stay there again whether it be business or pleasure.

• Liked — Mall right across the street, and tons of places to dine at
  • Disliked — Noise coming from the highway
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank yummy817
Elmira, NY
Reviewed 2 March 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton Annapolis Hotel during the last week of September for a nearby family reunion. I booked this hotel based on its 3.5 star rating, however, I found it to be more of a 2 star using today's standards. Our problems started at check-in - the employee at the desk was very polite (BUT) - we had made our reservation through a reputable on-line company, and requested King Bed, Smoking - the desk clerk didn't seem to have that information available, because we were placed on a "non-smoking" floor (with Sheraton ashtrays in the desk drawer) with 2 double beds. Our room was surface clean, but in need of a deep cleaning - especially the bathroom, which also needed some cosmetic repairs. Throughout our stay, there were dirty room service dishes on the floor in the hallway. We ordered room service - it was very timely, but poor quality food. We felt that we wasted our money on that. I understand that room service is always over priced, but I typically expect the food to at least be hot and as described on the menu. The elevators were very filthy, very old, and very slow. The entire front lobby smelled as if they frequently used men's cologne as an air freshener, and it lingered throughout the rest of the hotel, which was very bothersome to us. One last thing - the pool/hot-tub area. The pool was just a little cloudy, but the whirlpool had WAY TOO MANY chemicals in it. It not only smelled too strong to sit there, but when the jets were blowing, the granules felt like my legs were being sand blasted.
That sums up the negative of our experience - everything else (i.e. appearance, location, decor, ammenities, services, etc.) appeared to be along the lines of 3 or 3.5 stars. It was NOT worth the $130/night that we paid. I would stay there again for under $90, but if I had to pay more than that ... Annapolis is a big city with many other hotel options available.

Stayed September 2006