“Go with the right expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Makaha Restaurant

Makaha Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 60 Restaurants in Acton
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
MA
“Go with the right expectations”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Here is the thing about Makaha, if you go with the right expectations, you will be fine. This is a typical cheap Chinese food restaurant. If this restaurant was next to the campus of a large university, it would no doubt have countless loyal fans. But it is in Acton. And Acton is fancier than it used to be and people expect more these days (I remember Makaha during the 1980's when the dining room had fake palm trees and Polynesian decor everywhere which is now long gone and it is now currently stuck with 1980's decor except for the lounge, which is definitely stuck in the 1960's- you might even see Don Draper in there). The food is typical cheap Chinese food and the prices are extremely reasonable so if you put two and two together, you will get what you pay for. In my opinion, there is definitely a place in this world for cheap Chinese food. I didn't say it was bad Chinese food. It might be a bit greasy but raise your hand if you honestly can say you don't appreciate something greasy and bad for you every once in a while. So if you want an inexpensive Chinese food meal, reminiscent of meals you used to eat in college go here. If you want something upscale, this place is not for you.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank trisarahtopss

mass
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amurican Chinese”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

As a Scot I'm used to very different Chinese food. Been in area 3 or so years and tried this stop last night. PUPU for 2 was a tad greasy but tasty and portions were decent. Service was excellent attentive but not obtrusive Not very expensive as I write this review am thinking of being lazy and ordering take out. Think I will give these guys a call'

• Visited January 2014
Boxborough, Massachusetts
“3.5 stars...they need to let us give 1/2 stars on here”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

There are 3 kinds of Chinese restaurant food in my book.

Bad, or really cheap.
Good.
Top shelf/expensive.

I try to eat at the better places in the middle category. This place definitely gets friendly with the preservatives, (according to my better half's gastric system) but I put it on the high end of the good joints.

A touch on the greasy side, as I was eating, I thought repeatedly, "this can't be all that good for me," but I kept plowing away because it was delicious.

Hey, you only live once. If you eat like this every day, that once may not be as long as it could otherwise be, but if you don't chow down at a joint like Mahaka once in a while, what's the point of living at all?

I love their egg rolls. They are the same as my first egg roll memory. the chicken wings, beef terriyaki, moo shoo, it's all standard fare, but it is pretty well done and won't break the bank.

Visited March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nostalgia Chinese Food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I get a kick out if sitting in the bar area and sipping on a pretty good Mai Tai. The place has original 1968 decor in good condition. Besides the nostalgia, chinese food like the PuPu platter and other classic, if not a bit greasy, foods done well. The Hot and Sour soup is pretty good too.

There is something about the combination of the atmosphere and the decent food that puts this place up a notch higher than maybe it deserves, but it is kind of "loveable" on some level.

• Visited February 2013
Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unkind and unhospitable.”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Ordered over the phone, and went to pick up food. They charged me 80 $ instead of the 20 they were supposed to, and consequently I was out of money because of that, and had to wait the entire weekend before I had the money replaced into my bank account. When confronting the manager about the incident, he was hostile and refused to give us the meal for free for the inconvenience. Would never go there again--terrible service.

• Visited July 2012