“We should have listened!”

The Red Raven Gastropub
Ranked #9 of 60 Restaurants in Acton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
“We should have listened!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I have been wanting to try Red Raven so we went for dinner last night. I did some research yesterday and was surprised by the poor reviews both for food and service but we decided to try it anyway. We arrived about 8:00pm to a mostly empty restaurant. Our server Sam was very sweet but seemed untrained. We ordered the Peppers and Rings, fried calamari on a bed of sauteed sweet and spicy peppers. It was just okay, kind of lukewarm. My husband ordered the fish and chips for dinner and I ordered the raven flatbread. My husband is very particular about his fish hating when fish tastes "fishy" but he thought it was very good except for the coating which was falling off almost as though it had been fried then left to sit so the residual heat from the fish steamed off the coating. Fries and a couple of onion rings were lukewarm. My raven flatbread sounded delicious containing all the elements that I tend to love, confit chicken, roasted figs, bacon, goat cheese, arugula and pickled red onion. The flatbread was bland and limp, the confit chicken had a strange taste, not bad but off putting. The rest of the ingredients were fine so I just ate them off the flatbread. Needless to say, we won't go back unless maybe for a drink. It's too bad because it's a great space and if done well would be a much needed addition to the area.

1 Thank Mary K

Brooklyn, New York
“Good Food, Service Could be Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I've had dinner here twice. The menu has interesting/unique items and the food tastes good so no complaints there. Everything is fresh which I love!They also have a good selection of beer.

The only reason I gave this place a rating of 3 is because of the service. Nobody has been rude, just a bit out of touch. The first time I ate here the server was really forgetful. The second time I ate here the server (by accident of course) spilled an entire glass of water all over my back and lap. I honestly could care less about the spill, it was water and life's too short to get upset... what threw me off is that he didn't really apologize or try to resurrect the situation. It was just a little strange. All of this could be a fluke... maybe I happened to get people two servers who were both just having off nights, happens to the best of us.

1 Thank amsaysam
Boston
“A lovely surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was our first time at the Red Raven, and we had no idea what to expect. We just knew they had outdoor seating with a water view, which was just what we wanted. When we arrived, we were told it would be a half hour wait for the patio, or we could be seated inside immediately. We opted for inside, but then were pleasantly surprised to find that there was a large screened porch with room for six or eight tables, each one looking out over the pond. No bugs, nice breeze, perfect! That set the tone for a perfect evening with great food, great service, and great music that started at 9:00pm. The cuisine was creative, the portions large (next time I would share my entree), and I had a blueberry mojito (called the Bluebird) that was incredible. Our server, Jonathan, was personable, attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. His recommendations were spot-on, and he made a lovely evening even better.

2 Thank LoveToTravel8
“Not for everyone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The menus. Imply some imagination but the dishes rely on butter to carry the day. The dishes we tried were not inspiring. The service was good the food was edible, the ambiance was quiet as the place was almost empty.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Irwin A
New Hudson MI
“Amazing food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch and what a treat! Everything we had was delicious. This is very sophisticated food in terms of preparation and execution, but in a relaxed atmosphere without pretension. We first had the house made charcuterie board, which was a great mix of tantalizing little tastes of meats, cheeses, and condiments. Next was a pot of "mussels frites" which were perfectly tender and really good accompanied with shaved fennel bulb and mustard. Next we had a new item, a chili Rellenos stuffed with chicken and cheese and topped with an absolutely mouth-watering mole sauce. I have had very good mole and this one was perfect! It was complex, balanced and had some heat but the heat did not overpower the other flavors. Finally we tried a marinated grilled pork tenderloin with Israeli cous cous salad. The pork was flavorful and very tender and the cous cous was a perfect accompaniment to the pork.We wished we could have tried more of the menu but we were stuffed. The chef and staff obviously take great care with their preparations and presentations. Service was warm and friendly too.

Visited July 2014