“netrate concepts at the Lord Jeff”
Review of Lord Jeffery Inn

Lord Jeffery Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Great location with plenty of charm and character centrally located in downtown Amherst...nice restaurant on property and staff was VERY helpful. I would recommend highly to anyone staying in the area

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
44  Thank rick j
WHGGuestService, Manager at Lord Jeffery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Dear Rick,
Thank you for choosing The Lord Jeffery Inn to host your marketing seminars. We appreciate your continue support of The Inn and the local area. We look forward to hosting you again next time.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is my second stay at the Lord Jeffery and once again it was a perfect stay. The rooms were very well furnished and comfortable. The internet quick, the shower and bathroom modern and clean. The staff is friendly and welcoming and the restaurant serves a great breakfast. My only issue is that the insulation between floors is not fabulous -- I was very glad when the kids above me decided to hit the sack.

Room Tip: We stayed in a very spacious suite on the second floor overlooking the entrance to the hotel -- room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your continue support of The Lord Jeffery Inn, and for choosing to stay with the Inn upon your visits to Amherst. We are grateful for your complimentary remarks regarding room features and service staff, and will be sure to pass those positive remarks onto the team members.

Again, we appreciate your loyalty, and for sharing your experience with future travelers. We look forward to the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

On Saturday, July 27th, 2013 I stayed with my cousin @ the Lord Jeffery Inn in Amherst, MA. All of the staff that worked there couldn't have been any more helpful. They were all positively terrific. Always had a smile on their faces and were all extremely happy to assist us, no matter what time of the day it was, they were very helpful with our concerns and needs. When we first pulled up to the Inn, we were parked out front. Once we checked in, I moved the car out back and we very easily walked from the car right thru their white fenced area to the room. We opened the door and couldn't believe our eyes. The double suite that we got was amazing. It had two sets of French doors that went out to this stunning sun room that overlooked a patio on the grounds, where we witnessed a gorgeous wedding ceremony going on, all while just sitting having a cup of coffee in their lovely sun room!

The room certainly had everything we needed, that's for sure. It was extremely well designed and definitely well stocked. Everything was thought of. Loved the key card idea with the lights and A/C to conserve power! Thought that was a very cool idea whoever thought of that one! We both slept SO sound that night in their extremely comfortable beds! Enjoyed staying here immensely & wouldn't hesitate to come back. We made reservations when we checked in for 7:00 PM in their 30 Boltwood dining room. We were so glad we made them because it was an AWESOME experience dining there AND their cuisine was to die for good! It was absolutely amazing for dinner. I had the New York steak and it was cooked to perfection. No matter what we got here, looked like a picture on the plate! Dessert was fabulous, it was a Port Cake
with roasted berry compote & mascarpone mousse. Enjoyed every bit of it. The Lord Jeffery Inn in Amherst, MA is certainly one class act! With all the places I've stayed at thru the years, I would say this extraordinary Inn is in a league of it's own! Run don't walk to get reservations at this Inn, you'll really enjoy it immensely here!

After dinner we walked thru the town for a bit & then we strolled back and found two spots on one of the couches right near the fire pit on the patio in front of the restaurant 30 Boltwood, which is located right beside the entrance of the Inn. It was terrific ending the night right there with a nightcap; it couldn't have been any more wonderful at this incredibly stunning Inn! It exceeded all MY expectations, that's for sure!

Room Tip: If you get a double suite, *1 on the elevator is very convenient to get back and forth around the In...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed at the Lord Jeffrey Inn while attending a conference. All of the staff I encountered were lovely, however, the room was not what I had expected. I was only there for two nights -- I left early each morning for the conference and returned after 10:30 pm each night -- so I was not inclined to seek out a staff member to report my concerns. Perhaps many could have been rectified if I had. The inn is beautiful, but my experience was more in keeping with a cheap motel. Although most of my complaints are minor, there are several.
1. I could not access the inn's complimentary wifi, although I had no trouble at other businesses in the area.
2. The towels were very coarse -- almost abrasive to sensitive skin.
3. The empty facial tissue container was not filled.
4. And, in my opinion the worst worse offense was that the comforter cover was soiled. It was not stained, it was soiled. Obviously, these are not changed between guests, which is something I definitely would have expected.
Overall, the room did not feel "fresh".
If I had been asked about my stay upon check out I would have said something, but I was not asked.
Although the inn is a lovely inn in a great location, I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Wanderingcyclist
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Located in the heart of Amherst and very accommodating. We spent four nights there while at the Nike Tennis Camp during July so they weren't very busy. Great rooms, very large shower and nice size bathroom; excellent food and service. Pamper yourself sometime if you are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larry K
WHGGuestService, Manager at Lord Jeffery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Larry,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Lord Jeffery Inn during your recent visit to Amherst. We appreciate your complimentary feedback on the Inn, as well as your review on our restaurant, 30Boltwood.

We will look forward to your next visit to the Inn.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I attended the Nike Tennis Camp at Amherst College over the weekend and very much appreciated the comfortable beds and good wine at the Inn after a full day of tennis. Not to mention the A/C as we were experiencing a heat wave that weekend. Everyone was friendly the it is truly a beautifully well maintained building.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear Terry,

Thank you for staying at The Lord Jeffery Inn on your recent visit to Amherst. While we wish the weather was a little more cooperative for outdoor activities, we are pleased that the A/C and the wine at 30Boltwood could make up for it!

We look forward to seeing you next summer, or upon your next visit to the area. Thank you for sharing your review with future travelers.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

My visibly pregnant spouse and I spent a frustrating weekend here in late June 2013 (not graduation). We found the staff's unwilllingness to adress serious problems to be unprofessional.

Our room had a gas fireplace with a gas leak alarm. This alarm kept going off--once when we attempted to use the fireplace and the flame died within a few minutes, then a couple times throughout the night after the fireplace was supposed to be off. Neither of us are princess and the pea types, but leaking gas in the room and/or alarms waking you all night is a pretty legitimate complaint. Ee called the front desk in the morning to have this checked out, they said they would send engineering over so we left the hotel for 2 hours. When we returned things started to go south.

The front desk clerk spent 5 minutes assuring us that we were mistaken and there could be no leak because there was a detector in the room, and alarms must be going off because the flame was going out on the fireplace. I tried to clarify that we were concerned because the alarms were going off when the fireplace wasn't on and asked if that had been communicated to engineering. He then admitted to sending engineering to the wrong room, but maintained there was no issue in our room, even though it hadn't been investigated.

This lasted for another 5 minutes, and they never got the hint, so we demanded to be moved to another room. They told the only thing available was the smallest room in the hotel, in the basement. This was fine by us: it's important to avoid exposure to toxic and/or explosive materials while pregnant.

We packed and waited in the room (windows open) for 30 minutes, then were escorted to our new room. 30 minutes later came a call from the front desk to apologize for the inconvenience, when we were offered a bottle of wine and a carton of cigaretts for our troubles (OK, I made up the part about the cigarettes). Note to staff: when apologizing to pregnant couples, consider offering something less tone deaf than alcohol.

When we checked out for the weekend, we ended up being charged for the full weekend in the nicer room.

It is well located, but at this price point I expect a legitimately competent staff and got nothing close to that.

Room Tip: rooms 1-6 in basement
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Michael K
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Lord Jeffery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Michael K.,

I would like to start by offering my sincerest apologies for the challenges you encountered during your most recent visit. I can completely understand how our inability to properly and quickly address your concerns would leave you feeling so frustrated.

While the staff and I strive hard on a daily basis to ensure each guest who stays with us has an exceptional experience, I do understand that there are times that things just go wrong. In my opinion, a true sign of exceptional guest service is in how we quickly react and properly rectify these situations when they arise. For you and your family, I can admittedly say I failed to accomplish this on many fronts and for that I am truly embarrassed and apologetic.

I would also like to offer you my assurances that at no time were you or your family ever exposed to any possible gas leak or danger from the in-room fireplace. While it was not properly explained to you at the time (and again, I can’t apologize enough), the beeping noise that you were hearing was nothing more than a low battery signal from the back-up controls. Please be assured that we have redundant safety measures in place that would shut down any gas feed from a malfunctioning fireplace should one occur. I fully understand that this is too little, too late, but I wanted to hopefully alleviate any lingering concerns that you and your family may still have from possible exposure.

Mr. K, I very much owe you some proper compensation for the challenges you encountered. Again, I fully admit that we should have done a much better job rectifying this right then and there and I can promise you we have taken your feedback to heart and are committed to not making these same mistakes moving forward. If you are so inclined, I would very much like to speak with you to not only offer my personal apologies over the phone but to also properly rectify the situation. I can be reached directly at the Inn at a time that is most convenient for you. I do hope to hear from you soon and again, we are deeply apologetic. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Robert J. Reeves
General Manager, The Lord Jeffery Inn
30 Boltwood Ave.
Amherst MA 01002
P: 413.835.2001 F: 413.256.8201 C: 413.992.7800
rreeves@lordjefferyinn.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Hotel Northampton
#2 of 5 in Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley

Been to Lord Jeffery Inn? Share your experiences!