“All in all, a good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lord Jeffery Inn

Lord Jeffery Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
San Diego, CA
“All in all, a good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

When my father and I visited Amherst College on a college touring trip, we booked 2 nights at the Lord Jeffery Inn due to it's proximity to the campus. We arrived at the inn around 9:30pm, and we were greeted by the inn's charming exterior and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies at the front desk. We were put into Room 22, which had two double beds, complimentary Andes mints and sparkling water - a pleasant surprise after our long day. The actual room was a bit run down, and had a board that covered up a large hole in the wall, but the beds were comfy and nothing was worth complaining about. Or so we thought...

In the morning, we were shocked to find a large leak coming from our ceiling and dripping onto the carpet. We immediately called up the front desk personnel, who promptly sent a repairman to inspect the problem. He said the leak was caused by the shower of the guests' above us, and had nothing to do with any structural issues of the hotel. The front desk was extremely gracious about our inconvenience and promptly switched us to an upgraded suite, Room 16. All in all, we were happy with how the problem was handled.

We did eat breakfast at the tavern associated with the Lord Jeffrey, and found the food to be very good.

Another note is that the hotel is almost constantly hosting weddings, anniversaries, etc., so if you are looking for a peaceful night away from it all, you probably won't find it here. The walls are VERY thin, and we were awakened more than once by other guests slamming and opening their doors at all hours...

Still, I probably would return to The Lord Jeffrey Inn if I had the opportunity. The good food, helpful staff, and adequate rooms make it alright to overlook the Inn's other issues.

• Liked — The complimentary touches (cookies, chocolates, water)
  • Disliked — The tired feeling of the rooms
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank Cinnabunnies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

We stayed at the Lord Jeffery Inn for a family wedding. I had heard how wonderful it was from the bride and groom and from friends who went to school in Amherst. First off, we booked a crib so it was pretty apparent we were traveling with a small child. The room they gave us had a huge brick fireplace with no screen. Talk about safety hazard. The woman at the desk was very rude, but did fine us a new room that was larger. It worked out better although we had to carry the stroller downstairs which was a pain. The bathroom was TINY. Also we had heard that the food at the inn was really good. The appetizers and food at the wedding were both pretty bad. And the brunch food leaved a bit to be desired as well. It was fine because we had a wedding to attend, but I wouldn't stay there again otherwise.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Nowork
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2008

Fixtures missing, bed lumpy, room only average, and the price was exceptionally high. Why? It was a pre-paid gift certificate given to for a holiday gift, so they charged premium prices for an ordinary room. Some friends joined us, and they booked a room for nearly half of what our room charge was, and they were given a complimentary breakfast. When we asked for similar treatment for breakfast, we were told no way by two desk personnel. We left a personal note to the innkeeper with our names and addresses, giving him a chance to show some professional courtesy. He hasn't, and clearly won't.

• Liked — Attractive lobby
  • Disliked — Shabby experience physically and metaphysically
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CentralMassachusetts
Santa Clara, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

I love the Lord Jeff. The staff is fantastic - warm, helpful, knowledgable, and always willing to go that extra mile. I was saddened to hear that the property will be out of commission for quite some time due to renovations. Although the property could certainly use an update (although I happen to enjoy the 'old-time charm') I can only hope that the staff will be just as fantastic as it is today. This is my 4th or 5th time staying at the Jeff, and the Front Desk staff has been equally outstanding and helpful during each visit, and the same can be said for the restaurant staff. Lord Jeffery Inn, we will miss you!

• Liked — The staff- The Front Desk Manager was excellent and helpful!
  • Disliked — That it will be closing for some time. =(
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kaylie06
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

I was visiting a relative in the area and was recommended to stay here, and I'm glad I did. The staff were always polite and friendly and seemed to know where everything was in town, from restaurants and hobbies to parks and pubs.

Breakfast and dinner foods in the tavern are good, with room service of the same quality.

The premises is a little bit worn, but it all adds to the style that I came to appreciate with my stay. When I come back to the area, I won't be looking for anywhere else to stay.

• Liked — Staff :)
  • Disliked — Well, nothing, really
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank ZeiramEstaflowne
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2008

My mom, my sister who came all the way from Australia, my daughter and I stayed over the Chrismas holiday and we had a great time. The front desk was specially helpful when I had to fix my mom's shoe. They went out out their way to be accomodating. They made sure we were confortable since my mom is also in a wheel chair.
I was sad to hear that they were closing but then I found out that they will be doing a major restoration and now I'm looking forward to go back and check out the new rooms and all the improvements.
I'll see you as soon as you are ready.
Delfina Casaretto

Stayed December 2006
2 Thank DelfinaCasaretto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

My stay at the Lord Jeffery Inn was absolutely outstanding! The front desk staff was very warm and welcoming the second I walked in the front door. They knew all the answers to my questions...one of the most important was about how late the restaurant was open! I got to my room and is was very clean and cute. I was starving so out of the two restaurants I chose the Elijah Boltwood tavern. It was ABSOLUTELY fabulous. The staff welcomed and I was immediately helped. The menu had such a good variety at a very fair price, I did not know what to choose from, so I asked my server some questions and she knew everything! The food came out very promptly and it was AMAZING. My highest respect to the head chef. You can tell she works very hard and must be an amazing women! My overall stay was amazing - I will defiantly come back again(and I found out I can bring my little puppy!) This is a very warm and welcoming Inn and it is just fabulous!

• Liked — Great Staff and Food
  • Disliked — My wireless internet disconnected once, but reconnected right away.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank HappyCamperrr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
Hotel Northampton
Hotel Northampton
#2 of 5 in Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst

Been to Lord Jeffery Inn? Share your experiences!