“Time for an overhaul at the Lord Jeff”
Review of Lord Jeffery Inn

Lord Jeffery Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2007

We have just returned from a weekend at the Lord Jeffrrey. We stayed in a king suite, which was a large room, but the bed was lumpy, there was construction noise from a site just behind the hotel, and there was no AC, despite a mid-May heatwave.

The manager was nice enough to take 10% off the total room price, but we didn't sleep at all the first night, and the second night were awakened by the construction site noise.

The Holiday Inn Express, despite its location on Rte. 9, and general blandness, is starting to look good for the money, which is a shame, because with a top to bottom renovation, the Lord Jeff could become again, the best place in town.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank WWK

Reviewed 18 March 2007

We had our wedding at the Lord Jeffery Inn in 2006 and it was an amazing and very easy experience!!! The wedding coordinator and entire staff bent over backwards to make the wedding as easy and smooth as possible. They were attentive, flexible, and affordable -- even during high season (June).

The Inn is very charming and in a perfect location for guests to explore downtown Amherst without having to drive. The food was outstanding, the Inn was lovely, and the entire experience was amazing. All my guests had a wonderful time. I cannot recommend it enough. I saw a complaining review from the previous year, so I just had to post my very positive experience.

Good for a charming weekend in the Berkshires, perfect location, good food and good service!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank gtaphilly
Reviewed 1 October 2006

I'm always looking for great places to stay when traveling solo with my dog and this place is wonderful. Right on the Common (a nice, dog-friendly park in the middle of the town of Amherst) even though the street traffic can be a bit busy. Perfect location for walking around Amherst (also quite pet-friendly) and checking out the local sights, like the Emily Dickenson Homestead - which is well worth a visit, even if dogs aren't allowed in. At the Lord Jeffrey Inn, our room was lovely and comfortable and on check-out, the hotel sales manager invited my dog into her office for a treat.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank susanscotfry
WHGGuestService, Guest Services at Lord Jeffery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2015

Thank you so much for your positive feedback about your stay. However, this review from 2006 contains information about our pet policy that no longer exists. Please be advised that we do not allow pets at the Inn. For more information, please visit our website.

Thank you!
Guest Services

A TripAdvisor Member
Longmeadow, MA
Reviewed 3 March 2006

Had my wedding reception here last summer. No complaints on the Inn, rooms, or food. The food at the reception turned out way above our expections. But really disliked the upper management, specifically: innkeeper, wedding/event planner, and the financial director. Very poorly managed and unorganized. Think twice about having your reception here!! I have heard similar opinions from others as well.

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 October 2005

Traditional inn with all the pluses and maybe minuses for some folks that means.Great location,very pretty,near restaurants and shops and with its own good restaurant and also more informal "pub" on site.Food excellent.Clean and comfortable.Staff maybe could be a bit more friendly and just the hint that perhaps the wedding trade is what they really prefer here.Overall,I liked it and would stay again for a day or two and would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank dongola
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 October 2005

While planning our trip to Amherst, I was a bit apprehensive about booking a room at the Lord Jeffery Inn, considering the comments I found on this website. However, I was in the area looking at colleges with my son, and the Lord Jeff was highly recommended by Amherst College, so I decided to take my chances. I am happy to say that I was nothing but pleased with our room, the staff, and our overall experience we had at this lovely New England Inn. Not only were the rooms darling, the restaurant was great, and the staff--both front desk and dining-- were so welcoming and helpful. I would return without question. Excellent place! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed: October 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 August 2005

We have just returned from a weekend at the Lord Jeffery Inn. I would not recommend staying here because we felt unwelcomed by the staff. We were there for a wedding. The desk staff were callous and rude even to the point of harassing to the bride and groom, and their guests. One desk staff member even tried to harass the bride right before their ceremony started. They seemed unwilling (or unwanting) to accomodate their guests. They never greeted their guests with a good morning, good afternoon, or a good anything. Someone should tell them that they are in the hospitality business and that hospitality should always be extended to those visiting.

The Room itself felt old and dirty. Our's was on the 3rd floor, down a long hallway, next to the room that held the copier. Not very homey! Although the room was large, the air condition was not adequate for its size.

Public spaces were nice. There was a comfy seating area in the foyer. 4 white rocking chairs were placed on the porch lending a perfect respite after strolling the Amherst area. The outdoor tented area that the wedding reception was held in was quite beautiful. And thankfully, the catering staff was wonderful.

The Inn is located in a nice location of Amherst. The Saturday farmer's market was right across the street.

With some personnel changes and a few updates, the Lord Jeffery Inn would be a much better place to spend some time. Until then, Avoid it!

• Stayed: August 2005
12  Thank jeffmylene
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
#2 of 5 in Northampton
7 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley

Been to Lord Jeffery Inn? Share your experiences!