“Great return to campus”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, NY
“Great return to campus”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed at the Hotel UMass on my first trip back to campus in 20+ years. The rooms are nice and clearly newly renovated. I was lucky enough to get a room facing the main campus - the library, campus pond and fine arts center.
Don't look at the severe concrete exterior and assume its the same inside. Staff - many of whom are students - were welcoming and helpful. Room was clean, nice and quite spacious.
Took away one "star" for campus construction right outside of hotel that started pretty early. Also, either I was too close to the elevator or the elevator noise vibrated throughout the building....couldnt tell which, but could hear it a bit.

Room Tip: As for room facing pond & library that is away from the elevator bank.
Green Features: Very attuned to the environmental impact of hotels. This was addressed and well handled.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
umasshotel123, Front Office Manager at Hotel UMass, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear bigonion,

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your recommendations. We look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We loved our stay at this hotel. The room was clean and spacious. Great location. We especially enjoyed the breakfast. The icing on the cake? When we left something behind and they offered to mail it to us. Great service!

Green Features: Loved the eco-friendly policies and food. I loved that there seems to be lots of steps toward sustainability
Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear natatafish,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Hotel UMass. It was a delight to have you stay with us and I’m happy we were able to return the item left behind.
Nantucket
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Recently stayed here while my daughter was speculating whether to apply. She stayed with a friend in the dorm while I basked in the ease of the campus hotel. From the doorman to the front desk and everyone in between - the service, all college students, was without a doubt the finest I've ever received. Was treated like royalty. Gracious, knowledgeable, polite and helpful. The view from the room was amazingly beautiful. Keurig machine for my early morning coffee in bed, followed by a delicious and complimentary breakfast was a great start to the day. Centrally located within the campus and a quick walk to downtown Amherst. Worth the cost in cleanliness, amenities, comfort and convenience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor facing the science lab side of campus - older buildings with the go...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LizNantucket
Dear LizNantucket,

I want to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we very much look forward to your return. Again, thank you for the wonderful review!
Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Great experience!! Very friendly and helpful staff! The location was perfect. Ryan went out of his way to help me in every way possible. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a spacious, clean, and friendly hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Stacy A
umasshotel123, Front Office Manager at Hotel UMass, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Stacy A,
We want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Hotel UMass. Thank you for delightful review.We very much look forward to seeing you back soon.
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here for two days for an academic conference. Location was unbeatable as it allowed me to literally walk out of my room, eat breakfast and then go to sessions. It's near a bus stop that takes you, for free, to the little downtown area - though it's really so close that it's only a fifteen minute walk to get there. The room itself was very clean. One draw back was that the shower was European style, ie. lacking a bath tub. This was a little surprising, but no big deal.

I ended up leaving the hotel early, as though the location was a big plus, the service was absolutely impeccable and it was in every way great the price was a little too much for me. There were other places a five minute drive away that were almost half the cost and while not as fancy were by no means trashy. I'd highly recommend the place, but not for those looking to save a few dollars.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Arivoyager
Dear Arivoyager,
We want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Hotel UMass. Thank you for honest and delightful review. We very much look forward to seeing you back soon.
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have stayed in this hotel more than 5 times in the last three years (one to two-night stays). I visit the colleges in the area for business and have stayed in others in the area, but find this one to be the cleanest. The students from the hotel school at Umass Amherst usually staff it and I find them to always try their very best to meet your needs. From the minute I reached the parking lot, which is a bit of a maze to get to, there is a hotel staff member waiting as you enter the hotel. Given that the hotel is within a campus, when you initially enter from parking lot, you may be concerned, but trust me, once you make it to the hotel lobby and especially your room, you will be happy your are staying there. The room is super clean and rooms are modernly equipped with great toiletries. The beds are also fairly new and super comfortable. There is no noise in the room and I have stayed in multiple floors. You really don't realize you are on a campus. When school is in session, you may even go to the student pub on ground floor and grab a beer and take in the college atmosphere. The campus is also safe and I love the nearby pond and the many trees on the campus. You can also take the free bus that takes you to all the campuses and safe money on gas and the aggravation of driving. The rates are usually affordable for the value and the breakfast offered in the morning is perfect with warm oatmeal and healthy options. The pastries are unavoidable though.

Green Features: All food utensils at breakfast are recyclable or degradable and there are many containers that allow you to follow recycling.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear nleesanchez,
We want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Hotel UMass. Thank you for wonderful review! It was a pleasure to read it. We very much look forward to seeing you back soon.
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I've stayed in many hotels over the years and I was somewhat hesitant to stay at a new non chain hotel but because this hotel was on campus and convenient, I decided to try it. Not only was it super convenient to not have to leave the campus for career, the staff there was so friendly and willing to go above and beyond to help me with whatever I needed. Rooms were really nice and the room service was excellent. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear beachl0ver35,
We want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Hotel UMass. Thank you for taking a chance and staying with us! We very much look forward to seeing you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#6 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Hotel UMass? Share your experiences!