“NSO stay 7/6-7/7”

Hotel UMass
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Umass Hotel while our son went to New Student Orientation.. The room was clean and the King size bed was very comfortable. After check in at around 6:30 Sunday we ordered a cot for our son and went to dinner. We assumed that the cot would be in our room when we returned but it wasn't. I called down and asked about it and was told that it would be right up. We had been traveling for a while that afternoon and all three of us were tired. About a half hour later when no cot arrived, I went downstairs and was told by the desk clerk that he was the only one that could bring me the cot, he was checking in guests and would bring it right up. Finally 20 minutes or so later the Cot arrived. I know it's summer and with school in recess it's probably slow at the hotel but service should not suffer.

On Monday night with our son safely tucked into his dorm for the night we decided to open a bottle of wine and watch something on TV. We would have ordered from the hotel but the selection was dreadful. I went downstairs to get a corkscrew and several glasses and to my surprise there were no corkscrews at the front desk (no totally uncommon). When Housekeeping arrived with the glasses and the opener the girl that brought the items informed us that she needed the corkscrew back that there were no more in the hotel???
I guess business must be worse than I thought, I'll go out and buy a dozen corkscrews and donate them to the hotel. They must be paying the students that run the place way too much money.

These minor service issues won't keep us from coming back. We had a great time.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room at least 2 rooms away from the very loud elevators
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is my first experience at Hotel UMass, and for visiting parents, the on-campus location trumps everything else. As noted in previous posts, the walk from the parking garage to the hotel is confusing and, well, parking garage-like, but once one finds their way to the hotel lobby, the experience improves.

The hotel is clean, comfortable and in the middle of campus. Service is friendly and eager, and coffee was available in the lobby. Iced water is available for the rest of the day. The rooms work well, although they are not esthetically compelling. The bathrooms, while small, are the best part and are smartly designed with contemporary tile work and terrazzo countertops. The spacious shower is excellent. The quality bath products have been thoughtfully chosen to reflect environmental awareness.

Overall, this hotel makes the most sense for a college vist. While the town of Amherst is charming and has a number of inns and the outlying areas have a number of hotels, the convenience of being on campus can't be beat. My only suggestion would be to improve signage when arriving from the parking garage.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Please note: I am rating the party services at the Campus Center, not the hotel rooms.

UMass Amherst's Campus Center is a great place for parties. The space was comfortable and easy to get to for out of town guests, who can also stay at the hotel. The dance floor is to the side of the sitting area, which to me is not as much fun as a dance floor that is more centrally located in the room. The room has huge windows all along both sides, offering beautiful views of UMass Amherst and its surrounding area.

The staff seemed to be entirely comprised of students. We met a future mechanical engineer and a future lawyer. They were bright, friendly and fun, yet also very professional.

1  Thank Illysa I
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I attended a week long dissertation retreat and decided to stay at Hotel UMass for the first time. I found the hotel exceptionally clean, my room had a beautiful view of the campus grounds, the television worked great and provided quite a few options in terms of channels with different languages, I had excellent access to the internet, the atmosphere was quiet and I was able to get a lot of work accomplished and moreover, the staff was super friendly. The location was great, it was right on campus and was not too far from downtown Amherst. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for great accommodations in the Amherst area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After a late night escape from a nasty sheet incident reviewed elsewhere, I searched for a well rated hotel anywhere near me. The closest I could find was this hotel, 45 minutes from my original hotel adventure. I just couldn't stand the thought of being in another smelly, creepy dirty room that night. I rode my motorcycle through the night arriving after midnight with high hopes. Fortunately, the Hotel UMass was everything I wanted; professional, courteous, welcoming front desk staff. A quick check in with free parking validation and wireless access. And up to my quiet, clean, fresh smelling room. The bed was sumptuous and the pillows heavenly. Thank goodness that there are businesses and employees who know their business and respect their guests,

Room Tip: I suspect that staying here when school is out is best. It was very quiet when I was there from mid...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Fairly good experience until checkout. Room had no refrigerator and could hear elevator all night. Looking to watch Stanley Cup Final on Saturday night at UPUB and was advised that it was not open as being renovated for a month. What was really bewildering was that I requested a one hour late checkout (11:00 to 12:00) so my daughter, who had just played lacrosse at UMASS, could take a shower before our 4 hour ride home. Was advised that there was no way we could have late check out. Was first time ever denied a late check out !! Would probably not return for his reason alone.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by elevator!
1  Thank lacrossedad44
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Third time at this hotel and everytime is great. Fantastic location for all things UMass, Amherst. Staff is great and friendly, cookies on ariival are yummy, and breakfast is good. Already have move in day reservations and expect to stay here many more times over the next 4 years as my son enters his freshman year in the fall.

Room Tip: Once contruction is complete on the new academic building, rooms on that side with a view of the pon...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Northampton

Been to Hotel UMass? Share your experiences!