“Finally more veggie options!”
Review of Lumber Yard - CLOSED

Lumber Yard
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: An elegant bar with hand-crafted cocktails & live jazz music every Thursday night.
massachusetts
“Finally more veggie options!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Was very happy to see they made changes to the menu and added many vegetarian and pescatarian options. Previously my husband and and me had a difficult time finding something for myself to eat...this time I had a hard time deciding what to order as I had a multitude of options. We had the brussel sprouts with pistachios and cheese, the mussels in green curry as well as the charcuteri board ( I eat the cheese my husband the meat) as well as my husband had the bolognese app. Everything was delicious, and there were many more options for a vegetarian. We will be back often!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Delightful dinner!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our dinner at the lumber yard - from steak to mussels the food was very good the chartrutee was great. Salad a bit salty would be my only complaint

2 Thank atlantatvlr
western MA
“Lovely room, great service, solid-but safe-menu”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Much is made of Amherst's "foodie" scene. In reality, there are a couple of very good restaurants, a handful of pretty good ones, especially if you know which dishes to order, and many, many more that are catering to students and assuming that that means they don't have to make much of an effort. I'd put tthe Lumber Yard in the "very good" category--with one big reservation.

Its strong suits: The room is lovely, well appointed for both couples and small groups. It's light and airy but not noisy (rare for Amherst), and the seating is comfortable and uncrowded. Great bar, with a cocktail and bar menu that is far more imaginative than the dinner menu. The Lumber Yard is one of the best places in town to meet a friend for a drink and some meaty snacks (a meat and cheese board, meatball sliders, schnitzel). As others have noted, choices for vegetarians are more limited, and a vegan might struggle to find a full meal. Servers are great, though--friendly, polished, and efficient.

The food is fresh, competently executed, prettily plated, but there's something very safe about most of the menu. Entrees are lamb chops, steak, roast chicken, salmon; desserts are a lemon cake, a pot de creme that's essentially very dense chocolate pudding, a banoffee pie. It's upper-middle-class comfort food--great ingredients but very few surprises. This is a genre of restaurant that exists all over the US in affluent communities, beach towns, and country clubs.

Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of times when upscale simplicity is just the right thing (business dinners, entertaining the in-laws, a Friday after a really long week at work, etc.). It's just that once the tab tops $50 per person, I'd prefer (and can get, elsewhere) a meal that is a little more soulful and imaginative in its saucing and flavor combinations. Adding a couple of specials with more inventive sauces or less predictable protein choices (duck? quail? more shellfish? beef other than steak? more veggie entrees?) might be one way to add interest without disappointing those who come for the greatest hits. I'd certainly come back here again for the great atmosphere and service, but not so much to be wowed by the food.

1 Thank avivalesy
Somerset, New Jersey
“Delightful food and ambiance”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had never been to Amherst before and decided to try the place based on the prior trip advisor reviews. It is smart to reserve, because it fills fast on Friday evening, Staff are friendly and attentive enough without overdoing it. Dining room lighting depends on your seating. In front is well lit, in back more subdued. Chairs are cushioned and comfortable. Appetizers are delicious and innovative and enough for 2 to share. Entrée specials sounded inviting, but we opted for regular menu items and enjoyed them. Portions are just the right size and accompaniments are perfect for the dish. Homemade bread also excellent. Excellent selection of wines by the glass.
A very good value for a casual evening out.

Ames, Iowa
“Grazing”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

After working all day on a house, we went to the Lumberyard dressed as we were for a glass of Wine and appetizers. We started with 2 very different wines. Then the Sharing begun... with the food between us... we were sitting at the Bar (where no reservations are needed) 1st.. the Meat and Cheese Board, served on a 2" thick chunk of lumber...a great variety of 3 meats, 2 cheeses, pickled onions, gerkins, 2 different mustards, and because one of us needs a gluten free diet, we had rice crackers instead of breads.. The combinations possible were very tasty.. Next was a Kale Salad on a Very long narrow plate filled with sauteed Kale, baked Kale, pine nuts, and other bits and tastes .. The Salmon was served with fava beans on a Carrot and parsnip puree.. (garlic in there too).. Finishing up we also shared a remarkable Rhubarb Gin Sorbet... that was amazing.. I confess that I love rhubarb.. but this I had never even dreamed of.. Great.. All this over a 2 and a half hour time period where we could talk to the attentive bartender and others who would come and go ... A all round great experience.. we had been to the Lumberyard 2 times before but we do not live in MA.. Its a treat to visit in Emily Dickinson's neighborhood... particularly at a time after most of the students have left town .... We will be back..

• Visited May 2014