“Voted Best of the Valley 2014”
Review of Ginger Garden

Ginger Garden
Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This about 1 month old restaurant is located on Route 9, (or Russel Street) in front of the Big Y shopping Plaza. Excellent Chinese food)
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We had traditional lunch at Ginger Garden. Dinner items looked fairly expensive but typical Chinese lunch combo items were reasonably priced. WonTon soup was hot and not too salty. General Tso's Chicken and Shrimp w vegetables were hot and tasty. Lots of shrimp. Both dishes came w pork fried rice which was a little on the dry side. Wait staff was attentive and professional.

1  Thank EllenBread
There are newer reviews for Ginger Garden

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have been looking for a really good Chinese restaurant in Western Mass for quite some time. This might be it. I hesitate making a definitive conclusion based on just one meal, but first impressions are positive.

So many modest Chinese restaurants almost seem to belong to some underground network: the menus are the same, the restaurants look more or less the same, the fortune cookies and soy sauce on the table are the same.

I am no expert on Chinese food, but the sign outside: "authentic Chinese menu" at least advertises a potential solution to the problem I have just recited. While we were supplied with a spoon and fork (not chopsticks) and eventually knives, the separate section, claiming to be authentic, at least went beyond the usual suspects.

I was a little wary of trying this place, since there is a suggestion that they are offering Chinese, Japanese and Asian Fusion cuisine all under one roof, but it is a college town, and we were willing to concentrate on the Chinese portion of the menu. Late on a Sunday afternoon, a wee bit early for a conventional dinner hour, there were at least 8 cars in the parking lot, and probably more on the other side of the restaurant. At least we wouldn't be alone sampling a little more interesting fare. For those who would rather stick to the nearly universal American-Chinese menu, it is still in their lengthy repertoire.

The prices on the "authentic menu" are a little bit higher, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that this reflects a fair compensation for more unusual ingredients, paying a more reasonable employee wage and a little more profit for the effort-or perhaps I am being a little quixotic. At least the service was prompt, courteous and somewhat more attentive than we usually find in oriental restaurants.

The main dining room is fairly large, and the plum colored wall paper, green booths and open space are a refreshing change from the nearly universal red theme one associates with their Cantonese predecessors.

Bottom line: our main courses, a Shrimp and Pork dish and a braised beef dish with Chinese Dates were both quite tasty and a bit different from the old standards. It is not a major city Chinatown, but the horizon is wider. We started with some meat filled pan fried dumplings off the regular menu, and they were good although nothing exceptional.

If you are tempted to order wine, skip a glass of the house Chardonnay, which is not for anyone who cares about wine. There are half a dozen bottles of middling wines available and that would be a better bet. Tea and saki might also be a wiser choice.

Overall, good enough for a second try.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

A good value for a good, filling lunch. I had sushi the last time I was there and it was fresh and well made. The service is attentive even when the place is busy.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I love the food choices. We're often 5 or 6 people and everyone seems satisfied. Tables and space pretty good compared with other local restaurants.Busy, but not too noisy.We've had good servers and hyper-hustling ones. Insist on patience. Ask for another server if yours won't/can't answer questions. I have food allergies, so they must listen carefully and get it right. Favorites--pineapple fried rice, gingered green beans, sushi. Good-sized parking lot.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I asked for my food to be served without sugar or starch. Since we had travelled 50 miles each way to get to the restaurant, and this was to be a celebration, it was especially disappointing when my tofu and asparagus arrived drenched in soy sauce, with no ginger, garlic, or other seasonings to provide any nuance of flavor. It was so salty, that I had to literally dip the individual pieces of tofu and asparagus into my glass of water, to be able to eat it.