“Good location for visits to UMass”

University Lodge in Amherst
University Lodge in Amherst
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This motel is in walking distance to the University of Massachusetts, and that is probably the only reason why one would stay in this somewhat old place. It looks like it hasn't been refurbished for more than 20 years or so. It is a rather basic accommodation, complimentary wifi is available, but no breakfast or any kind of room service, just a bed. Given their central location, I wonder why they are not trying to make the place a bit more attractive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor are better
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We needed a reasonably priced place for one night in the Amherst area, and the University Lodge met the bill. We had to check in through HoJo because we arrived later in the evening, but that went fine. The hotel and furnishings are older but the room was sufficient, and we enjoyed staying in the university area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I have to travel up to the area periodically and this motel is by far the least expensive. Classy, sophisticated and modern it is not. The staff isn't even particularly helpful. More apathetic than anything else. However, lodging in the greater Amherst area is ridiculously over-priced; I've done the research.

Positives: The University Lodge is within walking distance to the downtown area, so you can stroll on over to the pubs and bars and not have to worry about driving back to your motel room and killing someone while sauced. If you're taking public transit to Amherst, such as train or bus, the location is very convenient. Contrary to other reviewers, I had no problem with Internet access and was able to get some work done at night. Stayed in hot weather and cold weather and temperatures were always okay. I've had to cancel and alter reservations and never had a problem with lost info or unwarranted charges. Very accommodating.

Negatives: Not disgustingly dirty, but the housekeeping is not going to win any awards. I have never encountered bugs here and, frankly, I think the roach spotter probably saw some innocent little creature that wandered in from the nearby woods. No breakfast, but you can walk to a number of good bakeries. Other guests not always the most considerate, especially in the parking lot. Also, not going to win any interior decoration awards, but, hey, who cares?

Room Tip: If you can, visit when school is not in session. The room prices fall by half. I paid $120/night in...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Traveller2010NYC
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I thought it would be great staying here reasonably priced I was alone so I thought it was perfect. There were men's undergarments left in dresser stains on the sheets. You could tell no one vacummed and then the night I went to the bathroom and was getting ready to go out and there it was a cockroach I slept with the lights on all night. I sent a letter to this facility to no avail they were not interested noing how my visit was. I would beware but it is to bad because it is super convenient spot. On a summer orientation for umass amherst.

Room Tip: I would becareful of the bottom level backside away from office
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank collegemom1
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I paid ~100 with taxes for a smelly room (they said it was non-smoking but it didn't smell like non-smoking!). Stains on thcaretset and bottle caps on the floor next to the bed. Wifi was supposed to be included but it wasn't working, I called the front desk and she said she'd restart the router - but that didn't fix anything. If this were a $60/night hotel it might have been worth it but for what I had to pay it was a rip off.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Unhappy335
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My son and I stayed here for one night while looking at Amherst. While my wife might have not approved of the place, for my son and I it was fine. Yes, it's antiquated (felt like a '60s motel... which is pretty much what it is) and it thus needs a lot of updating. But other than a somewhat noisy air condiitoning unit, it was quiet (despite reviews to the contrary) and well located. You can walk to dinner and breakfast in town. And the price just can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gbsand81
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Do yourself a favor and don't stay here. I was only here one night but actually considered sleeping in the car. The room was not clean and I was worried about walking barefoot on the carpet. Someone above us was pacing back and forth until 2 a.m. and we could hear every creaky footstep. The TV was quite a joke. It was teeny-tiny and everything was orange/pink. It was pretty hard to look at. We ended up going to Starbuck's down the street and staying until they closed just so we didn't have to spend any more time in the room than we had to.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to University Lodge in Amherst? Share your experiences!