“You can do better than the University Lodge”

University Lodge in Amherst
University Lodge in Amherst
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
Springfield, Virginia
“You can do better than the University Lodge”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had two rooms and we paid around $150 per night for each room. Room 2 was dirty and smelled of mold and mildew. It was a bit damp. Not sure if there was a water leak or if it had to do with the window air conditioning unit but it was gross. We were told no other rooms were available but staff claimed there was no issue with the room. Room 8 was in better shape. It appeared to be newly painted. All of the pillows were very poor quality. The blankets were also poor quality and scratchy. The beds sunk towards the middle--in desperate need of new mattresses. The walls were thin enough that we could hear neighbors walking and talking in their rooms. There was also a programming issue with the key cards so the cards would not work when we left and came back to the room. We noticed others with the same problem. All in all, an unpleasant stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Maylin C, Front Office Manager at University Lodge in Amherst, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you were unsatisfied with your stay. I apologize for the dampness, it has been an extremely rainy summer here in Amherst. I am very shocked to hear that you were unhappy with the bedding, as we just placed brand new Serta mattresses and box springs in all of our rooms, as well as new comfortors. In fact, you may have been the first person to sleep on that bed! I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip and will consider staying with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This place is basically just your standard roadside motel, with little in the way of additional amenities (such as a pool, exercise facilities, etc.), but it does the job, and the price was certainly right. We had a room with two beds, with a AAA discount, the rate was around $70 per night--certainly a good value for this location.

The desk clerk was very helpful and cordial (I'm assuming she was a student at Amherst, UMass, or one of the other local colleges who took a summer job at this place, given that she seemed so bright and articulate). The room was basic, though acceptably clean and decently furnished, and the bedding was comfortable enough. There was A/C in the room, but it was a wall unit that was controlled on an "off/on" only basis through a wall switch, so it was basically all or nothing, making it somewhat difficult to maintain the appropriate room temperature.

Probably the best thing about this place is its location. It's on the main road through town, between the charming downtown area and the UMass campus, and only a couple of blocks from either one.

The worst part about our stay was the fact that we had a downstairs room, and the guest in the room above us was stomping around basically NONSTOP starting about 5:00 am, making it difficult to get much sleep after that. It sounded like the sound insulation between floors must be VERY poor--either that, or the guest upstairs weighed about 400 pounds and inexplicably enjoyed wearing ski boots in the summertime, because it was that loud. If you stay at this place, you might want to request an upstairs room.

All in all, not a bad place for the price, and I would stay there again if I'm ever in the area

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room to avoid noise coming from above you
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry about the noise from the room above yours. Unfortuantely since the building is older, the sound proofing is not as updated as it would be at a newer property. We do infact try to put people into rooms where there is no one above them, but unfortuantely when we are busy we are unable to do this. I hope you will choose to stay with us again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Very clean rooms, beds and bath area. Room smelled and looked very clean on arrival. Stay here if you are visiting Amherst fir graduation or other events. Took early morning runs around the neighborhood. Great! I intend to stay again and recommend it strongly. This is a well maintained quiet lodge.

Room Tip: It's a two level wooden construction. If you are staying on the lower level you will hear the g...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WinstonBain
Maylin C, Front Office Manager at University Lodge in Amherst, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at University Lodge! I'm very glad you enjoyed our close proximity to Amherst and UMass! The town and campus are beautiful places to go through on a run! I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Amherst!
Derry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Booked the room for only one night, thank goodness. The first thing we noticed was dust and dirt on the tv. Ok, so maybe they were busy and overlooked that. Didn't have much time to look around because we had to go out as soon as we got there. We got back late and jumped into bed and sank into a pit in the middle, the beds were so uncomfortable. The sheets had a strong odor of bleach, but I guess we could at least feel they were clean.In the morning my husband went into the bathroom and put the toilet lid up and we all wanted to vomit, there was urine and hair all around the rim. I don't believe it was just from one time either, I think maybe they wipe the seat but the actual toilet is not cleaned. We could hear the people below us talking, I don't know if it was because they were loud or because the three of us were awake most of the night because the beds were horrendous.
I advise anyone looking to stay here to keep looking. The first thing we all did when we got home was shower! We also picked this hotel because it said it was in walking distance to U Mass, if we walked to the Mullins center from there we would have frozen to death.

Room Tip: Any room here would not be good!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank derryite

Travellers are raving about these Amherst hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The sheets were clean, but the blanket (below the comforter) had dark hair ALL OVER IT. I called the front desk and they agreed to move me. When I went there to exchange keys, the front desk person let me know that "our house keeper DOES have dark hair." I thought "great." The second room ALSO had hair all over the blanket. So disgusting. They offered to move me to another hotel and I was happy to move. They called and got me another room at the same rate. I asked for them to cover my taxi fare (almost $20) and the front desk person couldn't get the manager on the phone to authorize it, so they let me pay for it myself. I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stated here 30 years ago, and nothing has changed except the price is 100% higher. While the people are extremely nice that work there, the time for this lodge has long passed. It should be demolished and replaced with a modern, clean, newly furnished and upgraded infrastructure.
This should be a mainstay for umass alumni and guests.
In its current state, I have a hard time believing anyone stays there twice. The room was musty, old beds, old bedding, old carpet, old outdated furniture, clogged bathroom sink, AC was like a windstorm, Wifi was intermittent....glad we did not stay in the room long..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 60745Mark141
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I booked here because of the price and thought, how bad can it be? Next time I'd spend a little more and get a nicer room someplace else. University Lodge's redeeming qualities were its lack of bedbugs and location. The furniture was worn and gross, the AC unit was uncontrollable, the bathroom smelled and the allotment of pillows, etc. were stingy. The mini fridge in the room was soaking the carpet in what we assume was water. We made up for the room by spending as little time as possible there and vowing to never return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AMH3010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to University Lodge in Amherst? Share your experiences!