“Quaint New England Charm”
Review of Amherst Inn

Amherst Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Plainview, Texas
“Quaint New England Charm”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We planned our New England trip to include visiting the Emily Dickinson Museum/Homestead. I was thrilled to find that we could stay at the Inn right across the street! The Inn was delightful and the perfect place to stay to experience Amherst. Lots of dining choices were in walking distance, there were two lovely outdoor areas (side yard and back yard) at the Inn to sit while my husband enjoyed his cigar. We strolled around the neighborhood at sunset, and enjoyed chatting with the young lady gardening. Our bed was AMAZING! Very comfortable with high quality sheets and coverlets. Windows were open as we arrived with wonderful fresh air throughout. Breakfast was charming with blueberry pancakes, herbed eggs, muffins, sausage, several juices.... I wish we were close enough to go there often. We will definitely recommend it!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marci O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I was visiting Amherst with my son for the college tour. We had not planned to stay in Amherst, but having driven from JFK I was exhausted. I asked for a hotel recommendation at a local bakery and the proprietor said "Amherst Inn." I called and got voicemail, so I was a bit unsure, but 2 minutes later, Ann called me back and said that they had a room for us. The place was literally across the street from Emily Dickinson's home (exciting for me as a Lit major), and although I concede that the décor and furnishings would not be to everyone's taste, for me it was perfect as a love Victoriana and old crap. This place is full of old, heavy, dark wood furnishings ... it's very late 18th - early 19th century in feel. Think Trollope.

The bathroom en suite was tiny, tiny, tiny, but serviceable. The best thing of all was the BED. Oh my gosh, simply the most comfortable bed in the entire world. Although they kindly brought a rollaway in for my son, we ended up both falling asleep on the bed while we were watching TV on his laptop - the bed was that great.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Lake Hopatcong
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This historical inn is right across from the Emily Dickinson homestead. Literary enthusiasts will love to look out their windows and actually see Emily's room, in addition to hearing historical anecdotes about the inn and its relationship to the Dicksinson household.

The inn is run by a husband and wife team who are so warm and friedly. Our first night, the husband (whose name I forget - my apologies!) even offered to take us to a local tavern to hang out and hear live music! Ann has painstakingly decorated the inn, which contains antiques original to the inn, with her absolutely amazing stencil work which will delight antique/historic home lovers. The elaborate stencil work and orignial antiques made this guest feel as though she were sleeping in a museum!

The homey breakfast was absolutely delicious and the portions were generous. This inn was simply a delight from beginning to end!! We can't thank our innkeepers enough!

Room Tip: If you are an Emily fan, before reserving your room, ask which ones have a view of the homestead. I...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2013

First of all, I am so grateful for my friend listing this on her wedding invitation as an option to stay at, even though she was getting married in Hadley (about a 30 minute drive away)!
I absolutely loved it. I met both Ann (the inn keeper) and her husband. Ann offered to pick me up from the Amtrak station and brought me to the Inn. She was so friendly and accomodating and was just extremely warm and genuine. I stayed in the Ivy Room, which had 2 full sized beds in it (I only needed one, but it was nice to have such a big room). The price was exceptional-in fact, it was cheaper than the other 6 options, including Econolodge and others in Northampton. (It was also about a 5 minute walk to the center of Amherst, where there was a big farmers market going on and many people walking around, laying on the grass, or shopping). According to the other wedding guests, I think I got the best deal and the best service.
I didnt wake up in time for breakfast, but Ann made me whatever I wanted when I did wake up. She was lovely to sit and chat with, but also gave me the space to be alone if I wanted to. It was really a wonderful stay and I just cant sing their praises enough! If you like comfort, warmth, and a beautiful enviornment without breaking the bank, you should consider staying here.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Ivy Room and it was absolutely wonderful. Quiet and had a view of the street, where...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Berwyn, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I stayed at the Amherst Inn in May to visit my daughter at Amherst College. The Inn is a short walk from the Amtrak station, the college, and downtown Amherst. It is also next to the Emily Dickenson Museum. Ann, Innkeeper, was congenial and helpful. Breakfast was hearty. The room was clean, quiet, and fully functional. This Inn has been wonderfully restored, and I enjoyed sitting on the patio and living room. Overall, a five star experience!

Room Tip: Napolean room gets afternoon sun and windows face wooded area.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
San Diego
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed at the Inn for two days while attending a conference. It is a beautifully restored old building with lots of attention to detail. The breakfast was lovely and the staff was very supportive and accommodating. The Inn is a short stroll away from the center of town and thus a perfect location for a visit to Amherst.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
calais,VT
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed at the Amherst Inn this week, and it was good. Very nice room and bathroom, beautifully restored and authentically decorated house, big, tasty breakfast, gracious host, excellent close to downtown location, and right across the street from Emily Dickinson's house. The only minus was that the outlet that powers the lighting for one side of the room I stayed in (Emily's Room) was out, thus no lighting for the desk or two chairs in that corner of the room. Any reading had to be done in bed- no problem for me, but not OK for my elderly mother. I trust the owners will fix this small glitch soon. Stay there when you're in Amhert!

Room Tip: I eeked into all that were unoccupied- all beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynne W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Amherst Inn? Share your experiences!