“B&B of Your Dreams”

Ranked #3 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Sag Harbor
“B&B of Your Dreams”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Dream B&Bs, should be more than a bed and meal. B&Bs evoke a sense of home, yet more than just a house, bed, and some grub. B&Bs that we dream of are magical, a home, but w/ more style, charm, and comfort than a cold hotel room, or a guest bedroom. If you agree, you MUST stay at the Amherst Inn.

Ann and Allen have transformed a New England Victorian House into a magnificent, elegant, and wildly comfortable escape from the ordinary, mundane world. Each room is meticulously designed, every bed is more comfortable than the next, and every detail throughout the entire house is tended to w/ love and attention.

I don't know these people's last name. I've only stayed here a half dozen times (our son is a UMass Amherst student), and I have no vested interest, short of wanting to spread the word of this very special B&B.

Room Tip: Bathroom sizes differ, and some are larger, others quite small. The room I like to stay in, #7, has...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Robbie_Vorhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at the Amherst Inn the week school started because my apartment situation fell through. I was lucky there was a room available for me to stay at. Upon my arrival at Amherst, the host picked me up at the bus station, and offered to drive me around to look at apartments. At that point, I was more than happy to have a place to stay while school started, and finding my new place for the school year. I was so comfortable at the Inn I didn't want to leave. Full breakfast every morning, my own bathroom, a very comfortable room - what more could I ask for. At the end of the week I was able to find an apartment, but I keep telling everyone if they had guests in town, to make sure to give Amherst Inn a call. They won't regret it! Thank you Amherst Inn for such a warm welcome into Amherst and the school year!

Room Tip: Any room you pick I'm sure you'll enjoy!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Burgess, Virginia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Walk through the front door and step into the 1800's. Beautifully decorated with period furniture and pictures, this 1800's Inn has 21st century amenities. The room was large, bed was very comfortable, bath was small but well stocked, shower water was hot and the hostess was wonderful. A complete hot breakfast awaits you in the morning to include eggs, sausage, fruit, pan cakes and much more. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the Main Street side which wasn't bad but a back bedroom might be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

On learning I'd be coming to Amherst College for a couple of weeks, I looked for accommodation that would be walking distance from my work. There were a variety of options, but for me the decision was easy: Amherst Inn is directly across the road from Emily Dickinson's homestead (museum), and I'm a huge fan of her poetry. I enquired whether it was possible to have a room overlooking the homestead and was offered a choice between a smaller and larger room. I chose the larger and was delighted with the view and comfort that met me. Breakfast was a friendly and delicious affair (I indulged in blueberry and cinnamon pancakes with maple syrup several times a week during my time there), and my room was supplied with chocolates each day. The hosts were warm and friendly (including dropping me at the bus stop), and the whole experience was of a home away from home in a lovely Victorian house (1850s I think). It really was a unique experience, and I could write a whole essay on it, but I'll simply say that I highly recommend.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
NY
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at this Inn for 2 nights this past weekend and had a great experience. Very comfortable, nice breakfast in a family style setting, and close to the downtown area. Will come back and do recommend it!

Room Tip: Go on the site and look at the rooms. Each one has its own style.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Kemblesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Ann is a lovely woman who treats all of her guests like family. She seems to really enjoy the people who pass through, especially the college kids arriving with their parents. I had booked the Ivy Room over a month prior to our visit which is a large room with an extra bed for our daughter who was going to college to share with us for one night before we moved her into Hampshire College. Awkward all the way around but would have done for one night since we could not afford two rooms. Apparently their was a mix up with the help who gave our room away, which at the time did not make me happy. Ann more than made up for it by providing my daughter with her own room and my husband and I some privacy in Emily's room as well. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and varied enough to have something different every morning. It was served promptly, fresh and hot, with Ann buzzing around checking to make sure that everyone was happy. One of the things I love about staying at B&B's is the personal attention like this and the opportunity to meet all kinds of people. Ann and this property are gems and I would definately recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Newcastle, Maine
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We just got back form a lovely stay in this wonderful Inn. It was 95 degrees outside but nice and cool inside! The room was VERY nicely decorated and clean. The whole Inn is charming. Also, did I mention clean? I am picky and this is a clean B and B. The location is perfect, walking distance to downtown and lost fo fun shops and places to eat. Short drive to the colleges, which is why we were visiting. The breakfast was delicious! Eggs, sausage, pancakes and all the different cereals and breads you expect. There was a really good fruit salad. All in all, a great place to stay. I would go back and, in fact, made reservations before I left for the next time we are in town.

Room Tip: We had room 4 and it was great. Nice amount of space and furniture. Looked at rooms with open doors...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Amherst Inn? Share your experiences!